Proposal: Jost + Avs 1st for Second line center

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
I'm not talking about production, I'm talking about skillsets & development arcs. I won't deny that Jost has been no more productive than the other two, but I liked his skillset a lot more as a prospect than either of the other two because I thought it translated to the NHL game most clearly, and the way they've all been developing has done nothing to change that. They all have the same concerns I had then and Jost's issue is still the easiest to address once we add a proper top 6 C to push him to the wing. :dunno:

I'm sure not everyone will agree, but that's the fun of talking about kids who had significant potential.

Fair enough. Pulju does seem braindead from time to time but with just an average coach that can be fixed imo.
He has no clear message from our coach, and has such a small leash in the top6 (even top9) that he is demoted to purgatory on the tiniest of mistakes - As in going offside on a close call, taking a minor penalty, or even an icing. So of course Pulju is over-thinking every move he does, he's super low in confidence out there vs how he played in preseason after a hard summer of training.
Oilers fans are hopeful he can gain some confidence back in the AHL and (hopefully) come up to a new head coach running the show. But thats pretty doubtful.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Fair enough. Pulju does seem braindead from time to time but with just an average coach that can be fixed imo.
He has no clear message from our coach, and has such a small leash in the top6 (even top9) that he is demoted to purgatory on the tiniest of mistakes - As in going offside on a close call, taking a minor penalty, or even an icing. So of course Pulju is over-thinking every move he does, he's super low in confidence out there vs how he played in preseason after a hard summer of training.
Oilers fans are hopeful he can gain some confidence back in the AHL and (hopefully) come up to a new head coach running the show. But thats pretty doubtful.

Yeah, his development was really butchered. My fellow avs fans & I gripe about Jost's not being given any time in the AHL to adapt to man-strength at a level his skills could dominate, before coming up to the NHL & getting banged around and banged up. But what Pulju has gone through has been rough, even if he hasn't quite gotten the fully Terri Yakki (Nail) treatment. Nurturing confidence is such an important part of youth development, especially for kids who have a lot to learn/work on.

I'm certainly rooting for him to put it together, in case my previous posts made it seem like I didn't like him as a person...like a Ribiero or Kane...and not just that I didn't rate his game.

Reactions: A91

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
What 2nd line center would fit the Avs core and be worth giving up 2 pieces that themselves could become the Avs 2nd line center?

Teams don't give up on drafted players so quickly, so its unlikely the Avs move Jost.

The Avs 1st also has a wide range of where it could land. They are still in the hardest division and a fringe playoff team. Moving their 1st means they didn't learn from Otts previous mistakes.

Its way easier to find a specific target for a team and then determine the proper return. Saying what player could we get for this return is such a back asswards way of doing things its unlikely to lead to anything useful.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Huh? Is UND not one of the best developmental programs anymore? He played there 1 season after the BCHL.

I understand what you are saying, and for the most part it's a fair take. That being said I dont think you understand the Pool-Party situation all that well. Puljujarvi is only 7 days older than Jost and produced at an almost identical rate last season, and he can hold his own defensively. Not his fault the coaching staff is jerking him around (which you mentioned).
If Jost has been given a better chance and is "still developing" then how is Pulju a "project" when you yourself said he hasnt been given a fair chance to prove himself? Especially considering their age and production is as close to identical as you can get?

You mean Yakupov? Contrary to popular belief we actually develop players pretty decently.
A little correction.. Puljujarvi is not 7 days older but is 2 months younger than Jost.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
That's in the wheelhouse. I know because I'm considering it and I honestly cant make a proper decision. Horvat is the type of center we need. I'd still probably hold pat though.

I feel the same way which probably means the value is close. Honestly I would probably get smacked upside the head by other Canucks fans for even considering trading Horvat and I doubt Benning would consider trading him either. He took another step this year and is having a monster season so far offensively plus he’s been doing all the heavy lifting defensively with Sutter and Beagle out. The Canucks would be lost without him plus he’s a great leader. Another very minor factor working against this trade is Jost and Boeser didn’t seem to have much chemistry in North Dakota... but then again Ottawa’s pick could be Hughes and our pick could be Kakko and your pick could be another good player. And I think Jost will be a solid player too.

Oh mightn't you...

I’m gonna level with you bud.. I don’t have the final authority to make this trade. When I say I might, I mean I will probably change my mind 50 times before the end of the week.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
We are not in agreement on Zib value, so he has to be off the table.
Hayes is a better fit for us to deal w/Canes.

We could offer
Namest. + Buch
for
Avs actual 1st + Melloche [sp?] + small expiring cap dump

That seems to fit the bill and the idea behind OP ask. While it is a big comedown from Zib, it does improve Colorado immediately.

As for Jost, I am thinking more along the lines of you keep him, and if you want to move him, we will consider if we wanna bid above the market. This guy could work itself out overnight and be a star, or he could fail. He is not can't miss, so I'm inclined to go more along the lines of conditional picks, so payoff is proportional to his success.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad