Confirmed with Link: Joshua Roy Signed to 3-Year ELC

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The AHL rule is so dumb.

Couldn't we loan J. Roy to a european team instead? He's got nothing more to learn in the Q.

It's not dumb to the CHL. Taking top 19 year olds out of the picture cause the team wants them to play AHL is not good for the CHL.

I have a solution... increase the amount of 20 year olds from 3 to 6. This makes the CHL have more men and less 16 year olds. This would be good development for those 18/19 year olds where you don't think about them playing AHL at age 19 as much.

The area where 19 year olds take advantage of 16/17 year olds would be better development if there were a few more 20 year olds and less 16/17 guys. This also makes the CHL more or a development league like the NCAA is.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
With him having just made the draft last year, I wonder where he would be taken this years draft had he been born a couple weeks later? Definitely 1st rounder IMO.

Reactions: Whitesnake

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Cant say the kid didnt earn it.

Who knows how it all translates but has shown everything at junior that you would want

I'll be curious to see what he can do without the two 20 year olds on his wing. That's a good test for his age 19 season if you ask me. I still have him rated as a B+ prospect but what he does next season will reveal if he is moved to grade A status.

wildD

Jul 25, 2015
It's not dumb to the CHL. Taking top 19 year olds out of the picture cause the team wants them to play AHL is not good for the CHL.

I have a solution... increase the amount of 20 year olds from 3 to 6. This makes the CHL have more men and less 16 year olds. This would be good development for those 18/19 year olds where you don't think about them playing AHL at age 19 as much.

The area where 19 year olds take advantage of 16/17 year olds would be better development if there were a few more 20 year olds and less 16/17 guys. This also makes the CHL more or a development league like the NCAA is.
100% agree with you on this about the CHL, they need to up the amount of 20 year old that can play in the year. NCCA and I believe other jrA program have more then 3 limit of 20 year old's on the team, so it' time to change this rule.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Kiss Under the Guy

Mar 21, 2022

I really like that idea. I also think they could reduce a bit the number of games played in the CHL, with WJC and some players jumping to the NHL at the end of their season, it is an insane number of games at a point in their career where they should be beefing up and working on their skating skills.

I kind of like the mix of young guys / vets they have in the AHL at the moment. If 19y.o. were allowed there, obviously, a lot of teams would push their prospects in that direction and it wouldn't be good for the level of play and the learning to be a pro aspect of the league. I might be open to a special status for generational players, but I wouldn't want to see more players get it than we see players playing in the CHL at 15

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
100% agree with you on this about the CHL, they need to up the amount of 20 year old that can play in the year. NCCA and I believe other jrA program have more then 3 limit of 20 year old's on the team, so it' time to change this rule.

I believe this is something the CHL will open up and it might be sooner rather than later. There are a lot of NHL GM's who are trying to get age 19 year olds in playing AHL but if you reduce the amount of 16/17 year olds and increase a few 20 year olds, it might change the dynamics where it works for all parties involved.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
With him having just made the draft last year, I wonder where he would be taken this years draft had he been born a couple weeks later? Definitely 1st rounder IMO.5⅘
For sure. Just crushing his D+1 and it was almost his D year.

I liked TTs approach on this as he definitely liked picking guys who were just shy of being in the following years draft.

wildD

Jul 25, 2015
I was hearing that the NHL are in talks about there CHL Deal that they have atm. What these talks will be no about I have no clue, But maybe they should make a deal to have limit of 2 19 years old on a AHL team, and tell them to expand the 20 year old age limit.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Kinda sucks that it’s nhl or junior for him.

Not for me. Think of it this way... I rather him bust out in the AHL/NHL later than sooner. A prime Roy is about when we contend and that's not happening in the next season or two. Not playing 40 NHL games as a 20 year old is of value to me (RFA threshold). Let him play Q for his age 19 season and AHL as a 20 year old. We would have more leverage after his ELC.

I really do want to see him being tested on a team without two 20 year old's on his line. I also would like to see him in the WJC and maybe he plays this summer and in his age 19 season.

There is no need to try to push him up faster. Playing against men is a of value but he can work on his skating first in the Q. His time will come

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
Must have been an emotional day for him. He's having an awfully quiet game so far. I must have picked the wrong night to go watch the Phoenix. Anctil and Parent stand out much more than Roy tonight.

Reactions: Tyson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad