Confirmed with Link: Joshua Roy Signed to 3-Year ELC

Revansky

Mar 17, 2013
Montreal
Does that mean his junior days are done?
Good question. Think his contract can slide and he can still play in the Q next year. Can he play in the AHL next season ? I think he's too young, it's either NHL or Junior for him, correct me if i'm wrong.

He still need to get stronger, faster and better defensively. So he may follow the same path as Suzuki in the OHL and concentrate on other facets of his game if he's going back in junior.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Good question. Think his contract can slide and he can still play in the Q next year. Can he play in the AHL next season ? I think he's too young, it's either NHL or Junior for him, correct me if i'm wrong.

He still need to get stronger, faster and better defensively. So he may follow the same path as Suzuki in the OHL and concentrate on other facets of his game if he's going back in junior.

He isn't eligible for the AHL. It's NHL or back to Junior.

To be eligible for the AHL, you either need to be 20 or have completed 4 years of Junior.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
He isn't eligible for the AHL. It's NHL or back to Junior.

To be eligible for the AHL, you either need to be 20 or have completed 4 years of Junior.

Just to elaborate a tad as this is a point that confuses so many - junior hockey eligibility goes by birth year. So the player would have to turn 20 by Dec. 31st of that year.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I sure wouldn't have predicted he'd be signed by the end of his D+1 season when we drafted him. Credit to the kid, he really took a completely different attitude into the season and it paid off in a major way. He's hoping he can continue to ride this wave into a successful NHL career :nod:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Does that mean his junior days are done?

Nope. ELC can slide all the way up to age 20. He's likely going to play one more year of CHL next season but he will try to crack the roster in camp. I just don't think that is smart to insert him at age 19 cause even if he shines or "don't look out of place" at the early stages of the season, you can't send him to the AHL at age 19 if he struggles during the season. I guess you can send him back to the Q but then that's yoyoing a player around again (like KK).

This is no different than Guhle getting his ELC last year.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Ahhh good for him

That's one hell of a value draft pick sheesh

It all started with that scrimmage with the pros where he scored 2 goals, and you could see his confidence grow right from there, and hes taken off like a rocket

Hope he only continues to grow moving forward, congrats kiddo

In terms of who passed the eye test in the last development camp.... Roy >> Kidney. Even thought Kidney is putting up solid numbers, I think he has a long development road to catch Roy. We will see about that and then there is Farrell in that mix too

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Awesome news for him. Great pick by Timmins who went BPA. Never about the man. Always about the strategy.

Roy deserves it. Really happy for him.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Make a good second line with Slafkovsky.

If Roy becomes a 2nd liner in the NHL, it'll be a huge win for a 5th round pick.

But if we draft Slafkovsky that high in the draft with the idea he's going to be a potential 2nd liner, I don't want him at all.

Reactions: Tyson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad