Joshua Leivo & Tanner Pearson Be Better Or Get Waived!

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I like that some are holding Pearson’s play out as some sort of feather in Benning’s camp. Pearson’s production could not have been predicted, nor is it sustainable. In addition, it relies on a ton of empty net goals.

Moreover, let’s not pretend like Pearson was a gem unearthed by Benning. The reality is that Pearson probably wasn’t even targeted; he was just one of the few players that were available for Gudbranson. Gudbranson was like nuclear waste. Benning should be praised for just unloading it, but no one should be stupid enough to believe that Benning specifically targeted Pearson.
What was completely predictable was your salty outlook on page 1 of this thread..

"Neither are very good and their performances are pretty predictable"...Hodgy.

2019-20Vancouver CanucksNHL51 GP15 G24 A39 PTS
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
I mean, happy for Pearson but he just as easily could go into a long slump again...I'd still rather have a developing player take his place at a lower number. Good story the middle of this year but he's not integral to our plans to contend IMO.

Would for sure prefer a developmental player in that spot. Sadly that player doesn't exist right now. Pearson is trending to being a good asset heading into next years trade deadline. Good fit for this year's run to the playoffs and a good chip to move next year if the team is in a position to sell. In no way shape or form do I hope he is signed before next years deadline. Way too many unknown variables.

Reactions: mossey3535

Love

Feb 29, 2012

Pearson is first in the NHL in empty net goals and empty net points.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
4 games with nothing to show for from Pearson. Been quite invisible too, you need to STEP UP Pearson ffs

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Wasn't Vey more of a Willie D Medicine Hat guy?

It was but at the time Benning mentioned that he watched Vey play a lot and felt he actually drove the Vey, Pearson and Tofolli line. Furthermore, when the Canucks drafted Mallet, Pearson was cited as an example of a late bloomer so it's possible that the Canucks' scouting staff (which have largely remained the same including Brett Henning) have always liked him. Certainly Pearson is a player that the Canucks have watched up close throughout the years.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Points as a Canuck:

Pettersson-121
Hughes-43
Pearson-51
Miller-54
Eriksson- 86

Eriksson is on his 4th season. 1st or 2nd season for everyone else.
Yeah it's amazing just how little he does for $6 million (I posted earlier that I think Kyle Wellwood outhit by a country mile). Makes Mark Messier (as a Canuck) like a workaholic by comparison.

Reactions: mossey3535

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee

Not bad for a cap dump.

As the honorary president of the Tanner Pearson fan club, it feels good. :laugh:

I can remember thinking, wow the Penguins just gave up Pearson for Gudbranson and laughing. Now, I'm sitting here grinning. For better or worse it was a win win for this team at the time and to this day one of the better optional trades Benning has made. JT Miller has also done nothing but improve this roster in every category.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
And that’s without considering the 2nd round pick we also gave up in the deal. Not that Pearson is awful (great move by Benning to offload a HORRIBLE player in Nogoodbranson) but McCann is cheaper and thus increases the chances we can re-sign Toffoli.

Yeah, what are you projecting Jared McCann to get this summer? If he's as good as Pearson, which is debateable, doesn't het get a $4mil+ cap hit?

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
That's awesome. We could have such a good second line if Eriksson wasn't on it.

Yup, it's time to put to bed the notion Tanner Pearson is some fungible, middle 6, cap dump. The guy is producing like a 1st line winger, is very strong defensively and terrific value at $3.75mil.

Reactions: Regular David Bruce

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Yup, it's time to put to bed the notion Tanner Pearson is some fungible, middle 6, cap dump. The guy is producing like a 1st line winger, is very strong defensively and terrific value at $3.75mil.

Pearson has been given a great opportunity on the 2nd line stapled to Horvat, but he has also stepped up a lot and made good of that opportunity. I'm glad we have him and Benning did very well on that second Gudbranson trade.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Pearson's having a bounce-back year but he didn't suddenly become a 1st line winger offensively. If you sum up his production the last 2 seasons he's basically right in line with his career average after he established himself in LA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad