Joshua Leivo & Tanner Pearson Be Better Or Get Waived!

Love

Feb 29, 2012
what happened to Pearson. He worked so well with Horvat last year, and was on paceing for 38 goals now Of course I won't expect that but he really slowed down.

Like many of us said, it was 9 games where he had an insanely high shooting percentage. It never was going to continue.

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa
As usual Leivo's team is in positive territory on virtually every metric when he's on the ice, yet people fixate on his shooting percentage through 25 games. I guess that's the shortest path to the desired negativity. At $1.5M he's providing good value.

I love the positive territory on PDO (very high), oZS% and an even insanely high team shooting percentage when he's on ice, three points more than the previous year. Everything helps to get those very good numbers. As a 3rd liner, Leivo is perfect, skill and contract wise. If you try to put him higher on the lineup, you don't have a very good team.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Like many of us said, it was 9 games where he had an insanely high shooting percentage. It never was going to continue.
That they locked into the idea of Horvat and Pearson as a pair after 19 garbage time games shows you the exact thought process this management team goes through and why they constantly make mistakes in evaluation.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
That they locked into the idea of Horvat and Pearson as a pair after 19 garbage time games shows you the exact thought process this management team goes through and why they constantly make mistakes in evaluation.

For sure. And immediately when the team was named coming out of camp my first thought was that this team has no speed up front. Virtanen can skate and then Horvat and Pettersson are decent. Beyond that we are the furthest thing from being a “speedy” team.

It’s like Benning doesn’t know what he’s trying to do. Sometimes he says he wants speed and skill then he goes and builds a team with no speed and marginal skill. I don’t get it.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
what happened to Pearson. He worked so well with Horvat last year, and was on paceing for 38 goals now Of course I won't expect that but he really slowed down.

Are people really surprised that Pearson’s 21% SH% didn’t carry over into this season?? :laugh:

Not saying you disputed it with me, but there were people who did. It’s so easy being right on things like this.

Reactions: Jack Burton

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Pearson averaged .63 points per game in his short stint last year and he is now at .63 so far this season, too.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Pearson was skating so much better last game. Really had his legs. I love his hustle and relentlessness. Imagine if Virtanen had that kind of drive what a player he could become.

Leivo is still a mixed bag. He has the be one of the worst passers I've seen in recent years. Very good 1 on 1, great battler, just zero vision. Still on the 3rd line he can be effective in a checking role.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Pearson on pace for 51 points and Leivo 39 points. Most likely they won't keep up that pace but let's say Pearson ends up with 40 points and Leivo 35 points. If they are 5th and 6th leading forward scorers on the team, I think if you are looking at every 5th and 6th leading forward scoring on every team. My guess that is at least average, my points is they are not as bad as everyone thinks, however Canucks definitely need more productions from their 5th and 6th forward if they want to take the next step.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Bizarre logic. Leivo and Pearson were two non-regular utility guys who came in and despite their obvious limitations and not being viable players on a good team, instantly looked superior to all the crappy players on our team. They've been playing far beyond expectation, and continue to be similarly serviceable this year, but because the team is so bad that they're now among the best options for the top six, they should be traded?

Reactions: maroon 6

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Tanner Pearson could cut his offensive production in half versus last year, it would still be a win for having gotten Erik Gudbranson off this roster.

The acquisition of Josh Leivo is a solid one - in more ways than may be obvious. One would hope that it's something of a lesson in that good role players can be had for fairly cheap via trade as opposed to free agency. Michael Carcone is not setting the AHL on fire this year, while Leivo is playing productive middle-six minutes for the Canucks.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
Now we just need Loui to read about how much he sucks and hopefully turn it around too.

There's no particular thread for you, Loui, it's basically just every thread.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Tanner Pearson could cut his offensive production in half versus last year, it would still be a win for having gotten Erik Gudbranson off this roster.

The acquisition of Josh Leivo is a solid one - in more ways than may be obvious. One would hope that it's something of a lesson in that good role players can be had for fairly cheap via trade as opposed to free agency. Michael Carcone is not setting the AHL on fire this year, while Leivo is playing productive middle-six minutes for the Canucks.

Agreed. Then again, Benning has made multiple attempts of acquiring good role players through the trade route. Leipsic, Motte, Dowd, and Perron were recent players Benning acquired in hopes that they would be good role players.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Because being humble is a more endearing personality trait than being arrogant?
To be fair, he has no obligation to be endearing to you. It's fairly reasonable to respond to arrogance without humbleness (although I agree that it can be off-putting). In some contexts, doing otherwise can be considered foolish and overly charitable.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018

They also waived Brendan Leipsic to accomodate this move, so it's not like they got him for free. They essentially replaced Leipsic and his production with the same level of player, just bigger.

Leipsic just usurped one the Caps 4th liners from their cup run in Chandler Stevenson, it's nice to see he's been able to carve out an NHL role on a veteran Caps team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad