Joshua Leivo & Tanner Pearson Be Better Or Get Waived!

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
As usual Leivo's team is in positive territory on virtually every metric when he's on the ice, yet people fixate on his shooting percentage through 25 games. I guess that's the shortest path to the desired negativity. At $1.5M he's providing good value.

this times 100.

Leivo hasn’t set the world on fire, but there are valid reasons why Green uses him in the manner that he does. My full props to Leivo.

Pearson has lived up to his billing as well. He hasnt overachieved no underachieved. He is what he is.

Ray Ferraro said it best: With 16-20 goal scorers like Pearson, you’ll get stretches of games where he’ll score in bunches, and stretches of games where he’ll go completely dry. That’s the nature of these types of players. Pearson has been a good and solid two way player for us.

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with Leivo or Pearson.

The only Canuck that I’m a little concerned with right now is Michael Ferland. I hope his health holds up.

Last edited:

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Since this thread was created:
Pearson: 5gp 3g-4a-7p
Leivo: 5gp 4g-1a-5p

OP please create a thread like this for Horvat, Boeser and the fourth line

Horvat and Boeser are doing just fine and have produced at their expected pace. Canucks’ 4th line looked good when Motte was playing with Beagle and Schaller. Speaking of Motte, remember how angry the mass majority of posters were when we traded for him?

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Until someone steps up and takes a step were stuck with Pearson and Leivo. We just don't have anybody else at the moment to push them down the depth chart sadly. We don't even have any cap space to get another top 6 player next off season. After next season in 2021 we should be in a lot better shape and hopefully some of the kids are up by then Pods looking at you here !!

Benning has drafted for 7 years. You have Pettersson and Boeser in the lineup. Gaudette looks like he may finally have it figured out.

Every season you hear how so and so and this guy or that guy will be coming in and they will be the answers. Very few even make it big in the AHL. The same chatter is going on now about the next group of wait and sees who will be the answers.

The best of most teams come from the draft. This has been true of the Canucks as well. Problem is 3 up front in 7 years doesn't cut it. The league is filled with real gud players who came after the 1st round. Jim has had high picks in every round and has 3 forwards, 1 D-man, and a backup goalie to show for it. Oh, and a bunch of "they'll be the answers coming up next year" guys.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Benning has drafted for 7 years. You have Pettersson and Boeser in the lineup. Gaudette looks like he may finally have it figured out.

Every season you hear how so and so and this guy or that guy will be coming in and they will be the answers. Very few even make it big in the AHL. The same chatter is going on now about the next group of wait and sees who will be the answers.

The best of most teams come from the draft. This has been true of the Canucks as well. Problem is 3 up front in 7 years doesn't cut it. The league is filled with real gud players who came after the 1st round. Jim has had high picks in every round and has 3 forwards, 1 D-man, and a backup goalie to show for it. Oh, and a bunch of "they'll be the answers coming up next year" guys.

6 drafts, not 7. And you might want to check your expectations because from the 2017 draft only 43 players have played in the NHL so far and 15 of them have fewer than 10 games. From 2018 there are only 16 who have played any NHL games and only 4 of those 16 were drafted after the 14th pick. Only 5 from the 2019 draft have played.

Drafting and RFA contracts are the two things that I wouldn't complain about when evaluating this management group. It's a coup to get Pettersson at #5 and Hughes at #7 in consecutive drafts.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
this times 100.

Leivo hasn’t set the world on fire, but there are valid reasons why Green uses him in the manner that he does. My full props to Leivo.

Pearson has lived up to his billing as well. He hasnt overachieved no underachieved. He is what he is.

Ray Ferraro said it best: With 16-20 goal scorers like Pearson, you’ll get stretches of games where he’ll score in bunches, and stretches of games where he’ll go completely dry. That’s the nature of these types of players. Pearson has been a good and solid two way player for us.

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with Leivo or Pearson.

The only Canuck that I’m a little concerned with right now is Michael Ferland. I hope his health holds up.

And the only thing that really happened in the past five games was that their season shooting %'s reverted nearer to their career means. Wasn't as though either player had a massive spike upward in calibre of play; a couple of pucks just sneaking across the goal line, a couple of good shots and there you go. Pearson 11.4% career, now 9.9% this season instead of 7.2%. Leivo 10% career, now 9.5% this season instead of 3.8%.

Pearson has performed to his cap hit since he arrived and Leivo has been a clear bargain. I wish some other transactions had gone so well.

Elias GOATtersson

Jan 8, 2011
Hughes at 7 was a huge gimme. Petey was a good pickup of course. Juolevi and Virtanen should cancel out any good will you give management for their drafting.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Oh cool the draft rant in another thread. 3/5ths of our #4 ranked PP drafted by JB as well as our goalies drafted or developed under this management. Oh and Virtanen Gaudette and i like to bet Pod Madden Hog and a few others will creep into the equation.

Leivo and Pearson have been very good. Astute aquisitions.

Reactions: Sneezy

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Hughes at 7 was a huge gimme. Petey was a good pickup of course. Juolevi and Virtanen should cancel out any good will you give management for their drafting.

Can't management improve their amateur scouting? I think we can be pretty sure that the Canucks had Petey and Makar as the top 2 players in the draft. The Canucks also reportedly had Hughes ranked 3rd, which is about as high as anyone would have ranked Hughes in that draft. Speaking of Hughes, his selection was not a gimme. He was hardly the universal pick to be the 2nd Dman drafted. McKenzie actually had Dobson and Bouchard ahead of Hughes as did some other draft boards.

Elias GOATtersson

Jan 8, 2011
Can't management improve their amateur scouting? I think we can be pretty sure that the Canucks had Petey and Makar as the top 2 players in the draft. The Canucks also reportedly had Hughes ranked 3rd, which is about as high as anyone would have ranked Hughes in that draft. Speaking of Hughes, his selection was not a gimme. He was hardly the universal pick to be the 2nd Dman drafted. McKenzie actually had Dobson and Bouchard ahead of Hughes as did some other draft boards.
Considering Weisbrod, there was 0 chance Hughes wasn't going to the Canucks there. I don't know how we could be sure of their draft ranking in 2017.

And of course improvement is possible, but without acknowledgement of the mistakes, I don't think it's clear that there is improvement. Drafting better players doesn't mean managerial improvement in amateur scouting! Brackett becoming the authority on it is a definite improvement though.

e: improvement improvement improvement :laugh:

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017

It was reported in one of the Detroit newspapers that the Red Wings would've taken Bouchard, not Hughes at #6 if Zadina hadn't been available.

From 2014-18, six first-round picks at 5, 5, 6, 7, 23 and 24 netted Pettersson, Juolevi, Virtanen, Hughes, Boeser and McCann. That group definitely exceeds average expectations for drafting in those slots. Subsequently wasted McCann and a 2nd on Gudbranson but at this point I will just be thankful that they managed to cut the losses somewhat by dealing Gudbranson for capable middle-sixer Pearson.

Sneezy

Oct 25, 2019
Doesn’t matter how well Leivo does. The Leivo trade is another example of the Canucks bleeding assets under Benning. Could have picked Leivo up on waivers and not lose Carcone. :sarcasm:

Not sure if you are joking with this post? I am old so I do not get you young kids humour :cool:

Reactions: F A N

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Considering Weisbrod, there was 0 chance Hughes wasn't going to the Canucks there. I don't know how we could be sure of their draft ranking in 2017.

The point is the Canucks reportedly had Hughes ranked #3. Given the behind the scenes draft day videos, it doesn't appear that Weisbrod had that much influence over the Canucks' list. As for 2017, Linden said that they would not have picked Hischier or Patrick with the first overall pick if the Canucks had it. It was reported that the Canucks were high on Petey and Makar.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
6 drafts, not 7. And you might want to check your expectations because from the 2017 draft only 43 players have played in the NHL so far and 15 of them have fewer than 10 games. From 2018 there are only 16 who have played any NHL games and only 4 of those 16 were drafted after the 14th pick. Only 5 from the 2019 draft have played.

Drafting and RFA contracts are the two things that I wouldn't complain about when evaluating this management group. It's a coup to get Pettersson at #5 and Hughes at #7 in consecutive drafts.

Sorry, about that 7 it's right next to the 6 on the keyboard and I didn't check my post by reading it after to discover the wrong finger hit the key.

As to the non #1s in the NHL, I guess you are proving there are no "gud players" in the NHL drafted after the 1st round? So, that makes Benning a 50% good drafter in the 1st round and the rest doesn't matter.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Sorry, about that 7 it's right next to the 6 on the keyboard and I didn't check my post by reading it after to discover the wrong finger hit the key.

As to the non #1s in the NHL, I guess you are proving there are no "gud players" in the NHL drafted after the 1st round? So, that makes Benning a 50% good drafter in the 1st round and the rest doesn't matter.

2014: Demko 2nd round, possibly Tryamkin 3rd round, 122 NHL games for 5th-round Forsling although now he is in the AHL
2015: Gaudette 5th round
2016: probably zippo, Lockwood the only chance

I've already shown you how few players are NHL regulars in their D+3 season, never mind D+2 or D+1, particularly outside the top 15 picks. At this point there are three drafts that can largely be judged in total: 2014 alright, 2015 alright, 2016 poor, plus we know already that the team hit big with the 2017 and 2018 firsters. There are other players showing some potential that were selected outside the first round in 2017 and 2018; it's too early to judge them as a group.

Less than half of 2nd-round NHL draft choices reach merely the 50-game mark. For 3rd-rounders it's about 30%, 4th-rounders about 20%, less than 20% for rounds 5-7. https://www.tsn.ca/playing-the-percentages-in-the-nhl-draft-1.206144

For players drafted from 1992-2007, I did my own study awhile ago and used 400 games for skaters and 250 games for goalies as standards for what I would call career NHLers. Only 22% of 2nd-round draft choices hit those marks.

BTW, this is a Leivo-Pearson thread so this is my final post here on this side subject.

Reactions: Sneezy and Numba9

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->