Joshua Ho-Sang, Center/Right-wing, 1st Round

Status
Not open for further replies.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
LOL Kabanov would be lucky to make Bridgeport at this point, nevermind the Islanders.

I think we need to temper our enthusiasm on Ho-Sang. Unless he changes his attitude and on-ice approach there's probably a worse than 50/50 chance he scores 25 career NHL goals.

There's a reason most teams weren't high on the kid and while i agree there are potential high character mentors on the big club, I'm not overly impressed with our organizational development depth. Who exactly is going to develop the kid? Eric Cairns?

Hansman

Mar 18, 2013
Wild West
I absolutely feel the same way. A few days ago, when I read the Toronto Sun and ESPN articles about Ho-Sang that made the hockey world throw up red flags, I had the opposite reaction. He is extremely intelligent, outspoken, confident, rebellious, determined. He is also just a kid, and he's not the only kid ever to miss a practice or complain about schoolwork. The ESPN article is a much better read on how he has learned from his mistakes. He also seems to have an awesome mother and father, which is always a good sign for how a kid will develop (like MDC).

After watching and listening to his interviews last night, I have an immediate man crush on him. He has talked about how he enjoys watching Patrick Kane and PK Subban - and you can tell that he plays with that type of personality. I love watching a player that is clearly having fun out there, but not always trying to be a one-man show. His highlights and stats prove he is not more selfish with the puck than any other highly talented junior player.

Some think he will bring off ice "swagger" like Kane and PK, but I don't really see that in him. He is a very different and special person, and I think a few things have been assumed about him because of different interpretations of his words and because of his race (and I am the LAST person to talk about race, but it's the honest truth here). I have a really, really good feeling about him, and am probably going to seem like an obsessive fan of his as we share in watching his development. Cannot wait to see #66 tearing it up at Barclays.

He sounds like a typical 17/18 year old teenager to me.Whats wrong with rolling some confidence or swag into your personality.I think he will do great modelling himself after P.K. Subban.

great pick guys

A Habs fan

Nelly

Jul 22, 2011
Garth Snow got props from Don Cherry on HC@Noon today for drafting Ho-Sang. Said he should have been a top 5 pick if he didn't have the attitude. Most talented player in the draft.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Garth Snow got props from Don Cherry on HC@Noon today for drafting Ho-Sang. Said he should have been a top 5 pick if he didn't have the attitude. Most talented player in the draft.

WOW, High praise indeed.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY

I'm a bit surprised by this, I would have thought Cherry would have blasted Garth. Nice props though. Finally someone who doesn't crap on Snow up north.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I'm a bit surprised by this, I would have thought Cherry would have blasted Garth. Nice props though. Finally someone who doesn't crap on Snow up north.

The **** usually falls from the top on down:laugh: and Cherry is def up North...

I really don't see how anyone can criticize this pick at this time...

People said he has an attitude problem, but really hes just confident and out spoken.

People say hes selfish and doesn't play a team game. I agree that in the pro's he will need to learn to trust his teammates and not try to do it all him self..

people say his size is an issue...Hes not even that small...Hes 5'11 and around 170...he will grow...

Its funny because Konecney is considered a lock for top10 maybe even top5 in the almighty 15' draft and hes shorter and lighter than JHS. I guess Konecney is a nice quiet lad..

Also people seem to praise Stevie Y for the DeAngelo pick, yet this kid has been known to make racist remarks and have "real" discipline problems..

Macch

Mar 22, 2010

It has nothing to do with us. It's about "a good ole talented Canadian kid. I don't understand how any of these Euros guys could go against a good Canadian like Josh Ho Sang."

You know ETC ETC.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Heard Cherry on Hockey Central when it was broadcast live, could not post about it earlier, high praise. Don't know if they archive the show, it is about 30 minutes in if you more computer savy guys can find it.

At the beginning of the show, Cherry killed the Leafs for passing on Ritchie, same as usual with Don, has been complaining for years that the Leafs don't have Ontario boys.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
list of forwards around Ho-sangs size. and hes only 17.

Cogliano- 5'10 180
Matt Perreault- 5'10 185
Hudler- 5'10 185
Patty Kane-5'11 180
Shaw-5'10 180
Versteeg-5'11 182
Kruger 6'0 180
Ray Whitney-5'10 180
Nyquist-5'11 185
Tatar-5'10 184
Eberle-5'11 180
Yakupov-5'11 183
Granlund-5'10 185
Tyler Kennedy-5'11 185
Bryan Little- 5'11 184
Brunner-5'10 185
Hagelin-5'11 183
Giroux- 5'11 171
Read-5'10 185
Kucherov-5'11 170
Grabovski-5'11 183

that's a good amount of players in Ho-Sangs range....Bolded is close to where he is at now at 17...Hes gonna get bigger, im not worried

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
Heard Cherry on Hockey Central when it was broadcast live, could not post about it earlier, high praise. Don't know if they archive the show, it is about 30 minutes in if you more computer savy guys can find it.

At the beginning of the show, Cherry killed the Leafs for passing on Ritchie, same as usual with Don, has been complaining for years that the Leafs don't have Ontario boys.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/hockey-central-at-noon/

Scroll to bottom.

Poliz24

Jun 25, 2012
LI
Not sure that this has been brought but here goes. Josh feels he will be the best player out of this draft, let's just say he does. Let's also assume Wang is still the owner at the time. Can anyone see Ho-Sang wanting out when Wang doesn't want to pay him either at an ELC or for a big contract? Now I know we all are pretty stoked to see a guy as skilled as him in our farm system, so I am not trying to be a complete debbie downer. Let's just look at this realistically, JT isn't even getting paid TOP TOP $$ that he SHOULD be getting. Lets say Ho-Sang tears it up in Juniors/AHL and when its time for his ELC and/or a new contract what will cheap chuck do? What will snow do? Again, not to be negative but can anyone see a similar contract situation that transpired with another younger prospect who played on the wing (Name to be withheld):laugh:. Not trying to compare, and yes they are 2 totally situations, but it's the Islanders so anything can happen.

Now lets hold a minute here there are some things to mention: Hopefully wang sells by that time. Hopefully Snow is not GM anymore. Hopefully BK brings $$ and marketing and notoriety and respect from the league again. Only time will tell. Maybe Ho-Sang doesn't come off like that to most on here. I don't think he feels like that, but agents play key roles here. Especially in the case of our previous prospect :laugh: I hope everything turns out well and I am wrong. :)

SaintTavares

Jul 8, 2009
Brooklyn
Not sure that this has been brought but here goes. Josh feels he will be the best player out of this draft, let's just say he does. Let's also assume Wang is still the owner at the time. Can anyone see Ho-Sang wanting out when Wang doesn't want to pay him either at an ELC or for a big contract? Now I know we all are pretty stoked to see a guy as skilled as him in our farm system, so I am not trying to be a complete debbie downer. Let's just look at this realistically, JT isn't even getting paid TOP TOP $$ that he SHOULD be getting. Lets say Ho-Sang tears it up in Juniors/AHL and when its time for his ELC and/or a new contract what will cheap chuck do? What will snow do? Again, not to be negative but can anyone see a similar contract situation that transpired with another younger prospect who played on the wing (Name to be withheld):laugh:. Not trying to compare, and yes they are 2 totally situations, but it's the Islanders so anything can happen.

Now lets hold a minute here there are some things to mention: Hopefully wang sells by that time. Hopefully Snow is not GM anymore. Hopefully BK brings $$ and marketing and notoriety and respect from the league again. Only time will tell. Maybe Ho-Sang doesn't come off like that to most on here. I don't think he feels like that, but agents play key roles here. Especially in the case of our previous prospect :laugh: I hope everything turns out well and I am wrong. :)

Why would an owner not pay a good player an entry-level contract??? You are being a Debbie Downer, stop trying to make everything negative about the Islanders.

LetsGoIslanders

Mar 6, 2005
NYC
You're talking about bridgeport right? because honestly it's a 50/50 proposition that he makes THAT squad, and it's not because he has a chance at the NHL.

Kabanov is essentially done with the Islanders organization. They didn't even want him playing in Stockton despite putting up good numbers, and loaned him to Modo. I doubt he'll even be invited to rookie camp. They'll loan him again to a European club again this coming season to get rid of him.

ichabod13

Oct 5, 2010
Baltimore Maryland
confidence in yourself is one thing, but being arrogant.....thats another thing. i see him as the next sean avery. just a loud mouthed moron. if he makes it passed stockton, ill be impressed.

ichabod13

Oct 5, 2010
Baltimore Maryland
Josh feels he will be the best player out of this draft, let's just say he does.

thats why he went 28th and not 1st.

get a clue josh.....you aint all that. if you were, you would have gone between 1 and 5.

the kid has sean avery written all over him.just a loud mouthed piece of crap.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

get a clue josh.....you aint all that. if you were, you would have gone between 1 and 5.

Lol...I've actually researched and most of the one liners they are ragging on the kid for are exactly what the press like to do, cut and paste. Most of them are first parts of comments where he talks about being confident but then follows up with lines like "I'll do whatever the coaches ask of me". That's the stuff they leave out.

This is just a total whitewashing of a kid blown out of proportion by the press. Once he gets to the NHL and sees that it needs to be a team game for him to "be successful" his confidence and even cockiness will kick in. When you want to be the best that's much better than just being stubborn. He'll do what it takes to be the best which means he'll listen to the coaches and veteran players and adjust accordingly. He's actually got the SAME attitude as Tavares, he just doesn't PC it for the press when he speaks. I guarantee Tavares thinks the same way on the inside that JHS verbalizes on a regular basis.

ichabod13

Oct 5, 2010
Baltimore Maryland
Lol...I've actually researched and most of the one liners

like when he said " i was the best player available in the draft"?

cockieness and arrogance will only get you so far.....then its time to "put up or shut up".......and ive got a funny feeling that he will "shut up" before he "puts up"

trade his rights right now to who ever will take him..

i want no piece of that kid on long island.

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
like when he said " i was the best player available in the draft"?

cockieness and arrogance will only get you so far.....then its time to "put up or shut up".......and ive got a funny feeling that he will "shut up" before he "puts up"

trade his rights right now to who ever will take him..

i want no piece of that kid on long island.

What makes you think he doesn't have a chance in the NHL? He's been successful wherever he's gone so it doesn't appear that his "attitude" has slowed him down.

I don't know why you're so eager to get rid of him already. We got a highly talented player late in the 1st round. If he comes up and plays well I don't care what he says or what kind of attitude he has.

ichabod13

Oct 5, 2010
Baltimore Maryland
Once he gets to the NHL and sees that it needs to be a team game for him to "be successful" his confidence and even cockiness will kick in. When you want to be the best that's much better than just being stubborn. He'll do what it takes to be the best which means he'll listen to the coaches and veteran players and adjust accordingly. He's actually got the SAME attitude as Tavares, he just doesn't PC it for the press when he speaks.

where do you know ho-sang from?
"I guarantee Tavares thinks the same way on the inside that JHS verbalizes on a regular basis."

and you have known john tavares for how long now?

you have never met josh ho-sang or john tavares.......so please dont try to 'tell" me how they think.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site

Because in every draft, the player that turns out the best is always picked in the top 5?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad