Joshua Ho-Sang, Center/Right-wing, 1st Round

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isles5513

Please don't lose
May 18, 2014
Long Island
Really like what this kid brings to the table. I think he is one of the most skilled wingers in the draft. I remember reading that last year he was supposed to be a top 5 pick. If so, why did he fall to 28? Did he have some off ice issues? What did he do to not be on many teams draft boards?

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Just electric. The hockey gods owe us one.

He has world class offensive talent. I really hope he puts his money where his mouth is and does the right thing. I think he will.

His speed his off the charts but his ability to stick handle while he's flying is incredible. He also has a very quick release. I'm really excited for him to develope. I think he and Dal Colle can def play together and man thier respective wings on a line. Just gotta find them the right center. Nelson seems like he would fit well. But really these guys are all so talented that anyone of Tavares Strome or Nelson would work.

Last edited:

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Really like what this kid brings to the table. I think he is one of the most skilled wingers in the draft. I remember reading that last year he was supposed to be a top 5 pick. If so, why did he fall to 28? Did he have some off ice issues? What did he do to not be on many teams draft boards?

He fell during the season, not on draft day, so it wasn't really a steal. ISS had him at #18, Button at #39. Seems Isles really wanted him. Question is who wanted him most, Cameron or Charles.

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011

I just read some interviews with him. It seems like he talks before he thinks. That might be one reason why some GMs passed on him.

I love his character, he thought that he was the best player in the draft. I hope he can back that up in the future. :)

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
I just read some interviews with him. It seems like he talks before he thinks. That might be one reason why some GMs passed on him.

I love his character, he thought that he was the best player in the draft. I hope he can back that up in the future. :)

Both of my teenagers talk before they think. But they are good boys.
Good luck josh.

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013

N Ireland Nets Fan

May 13, 2013
Rochester, New York
Am I the only guy who actually really like how the guys comes across in interviews?

He seems to speak very well and is confident, composed and educated. I thought he came across really well in the TSN draft interview after he was selected. He talked about it being an honour to play with Dal Colle and how it would be a dream come true to play with Tavares.

I like how he handles himself. It's very easy to be black balled over some supposed controversial comments but I have really enjoyed listening to him.

"I'll push until I can't breathe"

That is the quote of the draft for me from Ho-Sang: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...032823008.html

Last edited:

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
Am I the only guy who actually really like how the guys comes across in interviews?

He seems to speak very well and is confident, composed and educated. I thought he came across really well in the TSN draft interview after he was selected. He talked about it being an honour to play with Dal Colle and how it would be a dream come true to play with Tavares.

I like how he handles himself. It's very easy to be black balled over some supposed controversial comments but I have really enjoyed listening to him.

That is the quote of the draft for me from Ho-Sang: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...032823008.html

No I was very impressed as well. He didn't dodge anything. He came off very mature and determined.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere

Agree, after watching the interviews, he comes across very well. Like him even moe now.

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island

I absolutely feel the same way. A few days ago, when I read the Toronto Sun and ESPN articles about Ho-Sang that made the hockey world throw up red flags, I had the opposite reaction. He is extremely intelligent, outspoken, confident, rebellious, determined. He is also just a kid, and he's not the only kid ever to miss a practice or complain about schoolwork. The ESPN article is a much better read on how he has learned from his mistakes. He also seems to have an awesome mother and father, which is always a good sign for how a kid will develop (like MDC).

After watching and listening to his interviews last night, I have an immediate man crush on him. He has talked about how he enjoys watching Patrick Kane and PK Subban - and you can tell that he plays with that type of personality. I love watching a player that is clearly having fun out there, but not always trying to be a one-man show. His highlights and stats prove he is not more selfish with the puck than any other highly talented junior player.

Some think he will bring off ice "swagger" like Kane and PK, but I don't really see that in him. He is a very different and special person, and I think a few things have been assumed about him because of different interpretations of his words and because of his race (and I am the LAST person to talk about race, but it's the honest truth here). I have a really, really good feeling about him, and am probably going to seem like an obsessive fan of his as we share in watching his development. Cannot wait to see #66 tearing it up at Barclays.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
The Toronto Sun from what I understand is always unfair and controversial.

Also if you look at the hit(if you can even call it that) that he got suspended for, it's a complete joke.

My biggest concern and its not really that big is that he gets bigger and stronger and to be fair that's how I feel about all our prospects.

I want to know how we get him Traded to Oshawa?

Dal Colle and Ho-Sang in the OHL remind me of our Foward versions of Reinhart and Pulock of the WHL.

islesforlife

Dec 13, 2013
East Coast USA
Before they picked him, all I knew about this kid was that he had some type of controversy behind him. No clue what it was.

That being said as soon as he was picked, I found everything I could about it. I loved every single word I read. This kid has heart, determination, skills, confidence, and what I think is most important, motivation to prove himself. He wants to show the hockey world there's a new star in the NHL and his name is Josh Ho-Sang. I can't wait to see this kid develop. I really hope that he turns into a star in a few years. It'd be the biggest middle finger to the rest of the league.

islesforlife

Dec 13, 2013
East Coast USA
The Toronto Sun from what I understand is always unfair and controversial.

Also if you look at the hit(if you can even call it that) that he got suspended for, it's a complete joke.

My biggest concern and its not really that big is that he gets bigger and stronger and to be fair that's how I feel about all our prospects.

I want to know how we get him Traded to Oshawa?

Dal Colle and Ho-Sang in the OHL remind me of our Foward versions of Reinhart and Pulock of the WHL.

wow you're right he barely touched him!! (the hit is about 15 seconds in)

nyscene

Jul 26, 2006
PANIC!
I found the video elsewhere. They called that a hit? And suspending him 15 games for it :laugh: OHL discipline is a joke

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Guys...I had to miss the draft for my sister's wedding. How did we get the 28th pick again?

dtrain24

May 5, 2014
Farmingdale, NY.
Hopefully this Josh pans out better than Bailey....:naughty: I kid, I kid...sort of.

In all seriousness, excited about the pick, surprised he dropped. I guess his character was a concern, but I think Johnny can really help him with that. His character could be a big asset to his game, love his confidence.

Also, like many of the posters here, I hope he does wear 66 to spite Pitt.

Boik14

Sep 13, 2006
Long Island
I really like what Im reading about him. I couldnt run through prospect attributes like I could in Football or Basketball but I will say I agree with a lot of what he says and he definitely loves hockey. I think hes right that they do penalize for having a personality in hockey and that youre asked to check egos and personalities at the door. Seems like a good kid.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
He's no Kabanov, this kid is going to be the real deal.

I LOVE his quote about people calling him a Globetrotter. I 100% agree with him. It's like when every black player was being compared to Iginla. He's one smart individual and it's only going to make him more mature and a better hockey player.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I found the video elsewhere. They called that a hit? And suspending him 15 games for it :laugh: OHL discipline is a joke

It is a total joke. But fyi - the suspension's been reduced to 6 games, so he won't miss that much time.

I've seen Josh play since he was in youth hockey with the Marlies - he's a very skilled, high offense player. Part of the reason he fell was because of 'character concerns' (real or imagined) - but part of it is that his game does need a lot of work if he's going to succeed at the next level. His play is poor away from the puck. While his offense is diverse insofar as he can score goals as well as distribute, he can also be selfish with the puck, want to set up the entire play by himself, hang on too long - leading to turnovers, etc.

Despite his tremendous skill, his hockey IQ isn't the best and, going along with that, neither is his decision making.

As far as his personality - I think the criticism of him is unfair to a large extent. One concern I do have is he doesn't have a ton of self-awareness and tends to think he knows it all himself. Which, while not unusual for a teenager, will become a problem if it stands in the way of him improving his game - which it has to a degree so far (he still exhibits many of the same faults to his game as he did during minor midget, prior to the OHL).

He's also really gotten the shaft from Hockey Canada. He wasn't invited to try out for the IIHF U18 tournament last year or this year, wasn't invited for tryouts to the Ivan Hlinka tournament last summer, and wasn't invited to WJC camp this August. I've been really put off by his treatment by Hockey Canada and think it's incredibly unfair they won't give him a chance when they've invited players who are clearly inferior to him to tryouts.

TBH...I think it will be a big help for him that Tavares is the captain on the team. While obviously Tavares' accomplishments speak for themselves, on top of that, he's also from the Toronto area, played for the same GTHL organization (the Marlies) that Ho-Sang did - I am sure he is someone that Ho-Sang will be very interested in associating with and listening to.

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

The OHL has since amended the suspension and reduced the total length to 6 games instead of the 15 games he originally got. Still way too much, IMO, for that play. But at least Branch sort of came to his senses.

He's a good value pick at the 28th spot. Especially when you combine it with the "safe" pick of Dal Colle at 5th overall. It's the addition of a potential impact forward, with the safety net of knowing even if he busts, you've got MDC anyway. Could very well be similar to the Getzlaf/Perry or Carter/Richards first round draft by the Ducks and Flyers, respectively, in 2003.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
He's no Kabanov, this kid is going to be the real deal.

I LOVE his quote about people calling him a Globetrotter. I 100% agree with him. It's like when every black player was being compared to Iginla. He's one smart individual and it's only going to make him more mature and a better hockey player.

Also, it's like when the TV crew working the draft randomly said "and Kyle Okposo is there too!" when trying to explain why NYI might be a good environment for Ho-Sang.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad