Joshua Ho-Sang, Center/Right-wing, 1st Round

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
Also, it's like when the TV crew working the draft randomly said "and Kyle Okposo is there too!" when trying to explain why NYI might be a good environment for Ho-Sang.

Agreed, it's ridiculous. Let the kid be a hockey player. Seems like he really takes that personally but he's going to learn how to use that as motivation rather than keep him down.

If you guys can't already tell I'm on the same page as IR4. I already have a seriously developed man crush on this kid. It hasn't even been 48 hours. I'm so pumped to see what happens with him next year.

WhitePony

Mar 29, 2003
Visit site
It is a total joke. But fyi - the suspension's been reduced to 6 games, so he won't miss that much time.

I've seen Josh play since he was in youth hockey with the Marlies - he's a very skilled, high offense player. Part of the reason he fell was because of 'character concerns' (real or imagined) - but part of it is that his game does need a lot of work if he's going to succeed at the next level. His play is poor away from the puck. While his offense is diverse insofar as he can score goals as well as distribute, he can also be selfish with the puck, want to set up the entire play by himself, hang on too long - leading to turnovers, etc.

Despite his tremendous skill, his hockey IQ isn't the best and, going along with that, neither is his decision making.

As far as his personality - I think the criticism of him is unfair to a large extent. One concern I do have is he doesn't have a ton of self-awareness and tends to think he knows it all himself. Which, while not unusual for a teenager, will become a problem if it stands in the way of him improving his game - which it has to a degree so far (he still exhibits many of the same faults to his game as he did during minor midget, prior to the OHL).

He's also really gotten the shaft from Hockey Canada. He wasn't invited to try out for the IIHF U18 tournament last year or this year, wasn't invited for tryouts to the Ivan Hlinka tournament last summer, and wasn't invited to WJC camp this August. I've been really put off by his treatment by Hockey Canada and think it's incredibly unfair they won't give him a chance when they've invited players who are clearly inferior to him to tryouts.

TBH...I think it will be a big help for him that Tavares is the captain on the team. While obviously Tavares' accomplishments speak for themselves, on top of that, he's also from the Toronto area, played for the same GTHL organization (the Marlies) that Ho-Sang did - I am sure he is someone that Ho-Sang will be very interested in associating with and listening to.

Appreciate the insight. He seems to have a fire lit under his behind now to prove everyone wrong...hopefully that leads to him working to improve his deficiencies. I liked his quotes of how appreciative he is that the Islanders believed in him and took a shot on him, they interviewed him twice at the combine so he obviously made a good impression. Plus him saying he'd work till he can't breathe for the Isles doesn't hurt. Wouldn't be surprised to see him join the workout group of JT and Strome...nice Toronto connections to have for him.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I really like this pick. I don't understand the hate around his personality... God forbid a player has some confidence and personality...

Sick skills and I can't wait to watch him play this year for Windsor this year. I will definitely be getting some streams for him.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Appreciate the insight. He seems to have a fire lit under his behind now to prove everyone wrong...hopefully that leads to him working to improve his deficiencies. I liked his quotes of how appreciative he is that the Islanders believed in him and took a shot on him, they interviewed him twice at the combine so he obviously made a good impression. Plus him saying he'd work till he can't breathe for the Isles doesn't hurt. Wouldn't be surprised to see him join the workout group of JT and Strome...nice Toronto connections to have for him.

My tiny nitpicky thing w/ the 'proving wrong' mentality is I think it's more productive for prospects to try to prove their teams 'right'.

I think the JT/Strome Toronto connection will be good (Strome is also a Marlies alumni - and his younger brother, Dylan, who I anticipate will be a 1st round pick next year, also played for the Marlies - a year behind Josh - so he probably has already encountered the family).

FYI...I don't think Ho-Sang's problem is drive or work ethic - I think it's more getting his mind wrapped around the idea that not only does he need to improve (which, I think he gets) but that people who point out his deficiencies aren't just 'haters' who don't get his skill level (which seems obvious, but also isn't automatically easy when you're 16, 17, 18).

Something that isn't discussed much...but that I do think might have jolted Ho-Sang a bit was that for awhile he was being treated as the 'next great thing' to come out of Toronto - including very lofty comparisons. For example, here is an article about him from the Toronto Star (which is the main local paper in Toronto and one of the most widely circulated papers in Canada) profiling him in Oct 2011: http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2011/10/21/feschuk_toronto_teenager_the_elite_of_the_elite.html

His OHL draft year was the same year that Connor McDavid (who was his Marlies teammate) got exceptional status. Even though McDavid had long been a dominant player - that OHL draft year started out w/ Josh getting the media attention (see the article i linked to) and then, media-wise, he got shunted while everyone started paying attention to McDavid. McDavid's attention was justified - he was that dominant - with that said, these kids are young (14/15 at the time) and they're human beings - and I think it was an unpleasant experience for Ho-Sang to have the 'attention-rug' pulled out from under him while McDavid suddenly got all the attention.

JT is an awesome captain for you - besides the obvious re his skill, accomplishments, character - he's young enough and has such an accessible personality that he's someone who will be very attractive as a 'voice'/interpersonally for younger players...i.e. the type of captain who encourages closeness; is not 'arm's length' with really young players (which, i think, some captains can be). I really think he is a great guy to shove Ho-Sang along.

JT really is the perfect player :nod: (lol can you tell i'm a huge fan? :laugh:)

In any event, considering where you drafted Ho-Sang - so matter how he turns out, you can't be faulted and can only be proven right.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
The Toronto Sun from what I understand is always unfair and controversial.

Also if you look at the hit(if you can even call it that) that he got suspended for, it's a complete joke.

My biggest concern and its not really that big is that he gets bigger and stronger and to be fair that's how I feel about all our prospects.

I want to know how we get him Traded to Oshawa?

Dal Colle and Ho-Sang in the OHL remind me of our Foward versions of Reinhart and Pulock of the WHL.

And Steve Simmons (the writer of the Sun article) is a joke. I gave him the benefit of the doubt but I should have known better.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
That's the one plus about drafting character type high end talent into the organization... You can take a risk with someone like ho sang because you will surround him with quality leadership. How many guys on the islanders current roster, let alone younger guys pushing to make the roster have worn a letter in the junior career? Now you have guys like Tavares, Frans, Okposo, Hammer, Martin, etc... That will keep a guy like Ho-Sang in line... More over by the time ho sang even sniffs the roster guys like Reinhart and Pulock will be here adding even more with a developed Nelson, lee and strome.

islesforlife

Dec 13, 2013
East Coast USA

I'll say this, if he ever does any celebrating like that infront of the opponents bench in the NHL, he's going to get drilled big time.

These highlights look like they are from his Bantam days. He was younger and stupid. Who wasn't? Looking at videos of more recent time with Windsor, he seems to celebrate, but much more toned down, much closer to the normal NHL celebration.

But hey, even if he does, maybe he'll need to be drilled big time. It's an eye opener.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
These highlights look like they are from his Bantam days. He was younger and stupid. Who wasn't? Looking at videos of more recent time with Windsor, he seems to celebrate, but much more toned down, much closer to the normal NHL celebration.

But hey, even if he does, maybe he'll need to be drilled big time. It's an eye opener.

I don't think it is that big of a deal. Theo fluery was the worst offender with his demeanor, but when he was on your team you loved it. The NHL needs to insert a little more fun and personality. No publicity is bad publicity, and honestly I was drawn to Yakupov with his celebrations his rookie year. Subban and Kane were great examples of enigmatic players whom have proven to be good for the sport more so than a black eye.

End of the day, I look at it like this, if you don't like it, stop me!

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY

yes, the OHL celebrations don't seem to rub the other teams face in it. So it appears as though he's already learned his lesson there. Still in one of his post draft interviews he did say that he enjoys celebrating when he scores, so maybe he occasionally does things that rub the opposition the wrong way.

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
I posted this over in the NHL Draft board but it pretty well sums up my feelings on Ho-Sang:

Ho-Sang appears to me to be a brash kid with a big mouth and a ton of talent. He comes across as smart, cocky and driven. Given where he was taken and the prospect pool we have, it was a calculated risk that was well worth the cost. We can afford to have him fail and still be juuusssttt fine. Combine that with the school boy types we have in Tavares, Okposo, Nelson and Strome....I think they'll straighten him out, if he needs straightening.

I just think you all need to keep in mind that this is an 18 year old kid. If there were a microphone around recording everything i said and did when I was 18...****, i dont even wanna think about it. THis is the new reality...everything recorded at every time. I think some of us just need to get used to this new paradigm and get over that EVERYONE says stupid **** from time to time.

Of more concern to me is whether or not he can play well with others on the ice. The one critique that stood out to me is that he can be a one man band on the ice. I dont like that. To me, thats his biggest issue. If he figures that out, he's got all the talent, all the one on one skills you want to make the highlights every night.

He has to be the most intriguing prospect in the draft and i for one, am rooting for him.

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004

I'll say this, if he ever does any celebrating like that infront of the opponents bench in the NHL, he's going to get drilled big time.

maybe so, but that kid has electric hands. the puck is on a string with him.

he'll be deadly in the shootout with frans. :nod:

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
He's no Kabanov, this kid is going to be the real deal.

I LOVE his quote about people calling him a Globetrotter. I 100% agree with him. It's like when every black player was being compared to Iginla. He's one smart individual and it's only going to make him more mature and a better hockey player.

Also, it's like when the TV crew working the draft randomly said "and Kyle Okposo is there too!" when trying to explain why NYI might be a good environment for Ho-Sang.

I disagree about the Globetrotter comment without context. I've made references to the Globetrotters personally to players I've coached, none of which (at the time) were anything other than white kids. Also, I'm not so sure that Okposo comment was because he's black, but it may have been because he's the other 'star' on the team and probably the only one worth mentioning on a nationally broadcast show.

Who else would they say? 'Good think Cizikas is there, he'll make that a great environment for Ho Sang!'

I'm not disagreeing that both or either one of those comments may have had racial undertones, but it's really not worth getting all upset about. Every great Euro player is compared to another great Euro player too. It's not exclusive to him or the African American community to be compared to people of similar stature or ethnicity. I do agree that doing that is stupid though, just bear in mind they aren't really putting him down. It's a catch-22 sometimes, since many people within minority groups (any group really) want to have their own identity.

Isles5513

Please don't lose
May 18, 2014
Long Island
Still in one of his post draft interviews he did say that he enjoys celebrating when he scores, so maybe he occasionally does things that rub the opposition the wrong way.

I personally like the celebrations. If he wants to showboat after he scores, let him. To me, it means he wants to score so he can do his celebration.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
i heard a lot about him being selfish, but i noticed some really nice passing by him. it was only from the short video, but i think it shows that he CAN play with others.

sometimes there is a fine line between confidence and arrogance.

i like what i am seeing, and hearing about him. i have no problems with him making bold statements, as long as he busts his ass, trying to make them come true. nothing wrong with setting the bar high.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
My tiny nitpicky thing w/ the 'proving wrong' mentality is I think it's more productive for prospects to try to prove their teams 'right'.

I think the JT/Strome Toronto connection will be good (Strome is also a Marlies alumni - and his younger brother, Dylan, who I anticipate will be a 1st round pick next year, also played for the Marlies - a year behind Josh - so he probably has already encountered the family).

FYI...I don't think Ho-Sang's problem is drive or work ethic - I think it's more getting his mind wrapped around the idea that not only does he need to improve (which, I think he gets) but that people who point out his deficiencies aren't just 'haters' who don't get his skill level (which seems obvious, but also isn't automatically easy when you're 16, 17, 18).

Something that isn't discussed much...but that I do think might have jolted Ho-Sang a bit was that for awhile he was being treated as the 'next great thing' to come out of Toronto - including very lofty comparisons. For example, here is an article about him from the Toronto Star (which is the main local paper in Toronto and one of the most widely circulated papers in Canada) profiling him in Oct 2011: http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2011/10/21/feschuk_toronto_teenager_the_elite_of_the_elite.html

His OHL draft year was the same year that Connor McDavid (who was his Marlies teammate) got exceptional status. Even though McDavid had long been a dominant player - that OHL draft year started out w/ Josh getting the media attention (see the article i linked to) and then, media-wise, he got shunted while everyone started paying attention to McDavid. McDavid's attention was justified - he was that dominant - with that said, these kids are young (14/15 at the time) and they're human beings - and I think it was an unpleasant experience for Ho-Sang to have the 'attention-rug' pulled out from under him while McDavid suddenly got all the attention.

JT is an awesome captain for you - besides the obvious re his skill, accomplishments, character - he's young enough and has such an accessible personality that he's someone who will be very attractive as a 'voice'/interpersonally for younger players...i.e. the type of captain who encourages closeness; is not 'arm's length' with really young players (which, i think, some captains can be). I really think he is a great guy to shove Ho-Sang along.

JT really is the perfect player :nod: (lol can you tell i'm a huge fan? :laugh:)

In any event, considering where you drafted Ho-Sang - so matter how he turns out, you can't be faulted and can only be proven right.

UWT,

Thanks for the great insight! It's much appreciated! Your welcome on the Isles board any time and I hope you come back to talk Ho-sang and the rest if our Toronto Gang(Tavares Strome Dal Colle) through out the year. Good stuff.

Destiny

Apr 9, 2011
I have seen some members given him an F via the HF rating system. Really? An F because he is a bit outspoken? That is incredibly unfair, and simply allows me to root for Josh even harder.

islesforlife

Dec 13, 2013
East Coast USA
I posted this over in the NHL Draft board but it pretty well sums up my feelings on Ho-Sang:

Ho-Sang appears to me to be a brash kid with a big mouth and a ton of talent. He comes across as smart, cocky and driven. Given where he was taken and the prospect pool we have, it was a calculated risk that was well worth the cost. We can afford to have him fail and still be juuusssttt fine. Combine that with the school boy types we have in Tavares, Okposo, Nelson and Strome....I think they'll straighten him out, if he needs straightening.

I just think you all need to keep in mind that this is an 18 year old kid. If there were a microphone around recording everything i said and did when I was 18...****, i dont even wanna think about it. THis is the new reality...everything recorded at every time. I think some of us just need to get used to this new paradigm and get over that EVERYONE says stupid **** from time to time.

Of more concern to me is whether or not he can play well with others on the ice. The one critique that stood out to me is that he can be a one man band on the ice. I dont like that. To me, thats his biggest issue. If he figures that out, he's got all the talent, all the one on one skills you want to make the highlights every night.

He has to be the most intriguing prospect in the draft and i for one, am rooting for him.

His 53 assists last season would have something to say about that ;) But in all seriousness, yes he does need to learn to pass more than only when you HAVE to. He likes to drive to the net and if he can't see a way to get the puck in is when he passes. But he will drive every time. He needs to learn to pass in the Defensive or Neutral zones where someone else might have a better drive. Or to dump and chase. Because you won't be able to drive to the net every time you get the puck in this league.

I personally like the celebrations. If he wants to showboat after he scores, let him. To me, it means he wants to score so he can do his celebration.

I agree as well. I like celebrations. And if it gets too much, someone will let him know.

But in the end, people don't like him because he doesn't have character? I'll tell you why he doesn't have character. Because he is a character. I will defend this kid until it is completely obvious that he will fail. But I doubt he will come to that.

N Ireland Nets Fan

May 13, 2013
Rochester, New York
Dal Colle played on a pretty stacked Oshawa team. When you tally Dal Colle's points from both OHL seasons he had 54 goals, 83 assists for 143 points in 130 regular-season games. Ho-Sang over those 2 seasons in the OHL with a much weaker team in Windsor, he ended up with 46 goals, 83 assists for 129 points in 130 games. So 14 points difference between Dal Colle and Ho-Sang along with the fact Dal Colle was on a much better team makes me very excited we got Ho-Sang.

I don't see why scouts can pin the whole selfish thing on Ho-Sang. I've seen him put goals on a plate for team mates in a number of games. Offensively he is a complete dynamo, I can't wait to watch him develop.

I love both our 1st round picks.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
I love the gamble, but gonna be interesting with the first time he is on the bubble to make the team. If he whines and calls out the hockey guys who know better (assuming we get that once Cappy etal are gone), its gonna be a wasted pick. I am cautiously optimistic this kid has a chip on his shoulder now to prove his naysayers wrong and be a model citizen plus the natural maturity as he becomes a man. I little bit of swagger is definitely a good thing, if he can bring it when he gets the chance and not mouth off before he's ready.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
I have seen some members given him an F via the HF rating system. Really? An F because he is a bit outspoken? That is incredibly unfair, and simply allows me to root for Josh even harder.

the only F will be them dropping F bombs when this kid lights up their team in a few years...:handclap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad