Player Discussion Josh Norris C 6’1”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
sure...

From Mckeens Hockey -Subscribe

Feb 2017 Scouting Report
"Further, his skating and size are both NHL fits. I could easily see him blossoming if allowed to focus more on his offensive traits, but even as a two-way center, he could find a top six role in the NHL in his future."

2017 Draft Guide
"He may only profile as a middle six center at the highest level, but that is a strong outcome for a late first round pick. If there can be such a thing as a sleeper in the first round, Norris is it."

17/18 Yearbook
" A player without a clear weakness to his game, Norris is also a physical specimen. He has special playmaking skills, hiding his intentions and continuously able to surprise opponents with his passes, weighted just so to hit a teammate in stride. He is also a plus-plus defensive player, skilled at regaining possession and pushing the puck in the right direction. While he scored plenty for the USNTDP, his shot is his least impressive attribute. Has top six potential."

18/19 Yearbook
" A special playmaker and a fabulous defensively-inclined centerman like Norris can be of value anywhere in the lineup, but exudes top-six potential with his patience, smarts, and puck-possession game."

19/20 Yearbook
"He was the hockey wherewithal to play a bottom six role right away, but he projects as a clear top six center at his best, presuming full health in the shoulder."

Pronman: How does the return for Erik Karlsson impact the Senators' rebuild?

"The most optimistic scouts I talk to about Norris believe he has significant upside, meaning they see him as a good top-six forward; it’s why he went in the first round even though I think he’s more of a second-round caliber prospect. Those advocates point to how great an athlete he is and how coaches trust him in all the tough situations, but they also acknowledge his skills aren’t standout and he needs work. The more pessimistic scouts just don’t buy him having enough offense and projects out as a third-liner — tops. I tend to fall in the latter camp, but enough people I trust really like the kid that it’s made me watch him a lot."

I was not citing a reference lol...just Simpson's probably not well thought out, and obviously inaccurate opinion. I think a lot of people saw Norris as a 2-3 tweener and his performance has moved that up to a having a legit shot at becoming a good 2c. There is no question in my mind his season in Belleville exceeded most people's expectation. There are so many of these internet based scouts offering "scouting services" no doubt a few are higher on certain players at times than the general consensus.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmix

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I was not citing a reference lol... I think a lot of people saw Norris as a 2-3 tweener and his performance has moved that up to a having a legit shot at becoming a good 2c. There is no question in my mind his season in Belleville exceeded most people's expectation. There are so many of these internet based scouts offering "scouting services" no doubt a few are higher on certain players at times than the general consensus.

I know it's not your personal opinion lol.

I was strictly responding to the Simpson hot take, which was incorrect.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Based on Norris’ performance in the AHL this past season, he has risen in my estimation from third line Center potential to second line Center potential.

With White, Anisimov and Tierney having NHL contracts, there is one C position available and several contenders for that spot: Chlapik, L. Brown, Paul, Norris and perhaps Byfield/Stutzle. It will be interesting to see those Cs battle for the open C position.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Based on Norris’ performance in the AHL this past season, he has risen in my estimation from third line Center potential to second line Center potential.

With White, Anisimov and Tierney having NHL contracts, there is one C position available and several contenders for that spot: Chlapik, L. Brown, Paul, Norris and perhaps Byfield/Stutzle. It will be interesting to see those Cs battle for the open C position.

Yup. There's going to be lots of options come the fall.

I dure hope Brown and White are taking the opportunity to strengthen their bodies

Reactions: Bileur

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Paul will likely play LW again & I expect that Norris will start the yr in Belleville. If Ottawa drafts Byfield chances are because he is so young that they would send him back to junior for another yr. Stutzle could play in Ottawa but because he is European he could also play in the AHLfor parts of next season too should they want him to learn the NA game down there. That leaves Chlapik & L. Brown who could both make the team depending on who they re-sign or if they decide to sign a UFA. IMO L. Brown should be given the best opportunity to make the team in a top six role while Chlapik IMO will get a chance in the bottom six.

Reactions: Cosmix and NB613

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Paul will likely play LW again & I expect that Norris will start the yr in Belleville. If Ottawa drafts Byfield chances are because he is so young that they would send him back to junior for another yr. Stutzle could play in Ottawa but because he is European he could also play in the AHLfor parts of next season too should they want him to learn the NA game down there. That leaves Chlapik & L. Brown who could both make the team depending on who they re-sign or if they decide to sign a UFA. IMO L. Brown should be given the best opportunity to make the team in a top six role while Chlapik IMO will get a chance in the bottom six.
Brown needs to be given a chance, but he will soon get pushed out if he doesn’t step up.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

I wish the Sens would allow all the players to compete for any Center position. I could see Arti getting the 2019 Boedker treatment.

I’d like to see .. out of camp.

1) Norris
2) Brown
3) Tierney
4) Chaplik

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I wish the Sens would allow all the players to compete for any Center position. I could see Arti getting the 2019 Boedker treatment.

1) Norris
2) Brown
3) Tierney
4) Chaplik

I also have concerns about White and Anisimov, but I expect White to be given an opportunity to play and develop. Anisimov is on his retirement year and may get the Bodker treatment if Norris or Zl. Brown perform well.

Reactions: NB613 and Sweatred

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

1) Norris
2) Brown
3) Tierney
4) Chaplik

I don't see that lineup happening nest season especially to start the yr & I doubt you think they will do this either. They will most likely try & increase the value of their UFAs as well as a couple of guys they want to move at the deadline. However, after the trade deadline could be very interesting to finish the yr as to who plays where. I still think that even with Norris having a great yr this season that L. Brown should still be their #1 centre to end the season but it will be interesting to see how it all pans out. I could see these guys in the lineup after the deadline.

Tkachuk - L. Brown - Batherson
Duclair - White - C. Brown
Formenton - Norris - Ryan
Paul - Chlapik - Kastelic

Chabot - Zaitsev
Wolanin - Zub
Englund - Jaros

Nilsson - Hogberg

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I don't see that lineup happening nest season especially to start the yr & I doubt you think they will do this either. They will most likely try & increase the value of their UFAs as well as a couple of guys they want to move at the deadline. However, after the trade deadline could be very interesting to finish the yr as to who plays where. I still think that even with Norris having a great yr this season that L. Brown should still be their #1 centre to end the season but it will be interesting to see how it all pans out. I could see these guys in the lineup after the deadline.

Chabot - Zaitsev
Wolanin - Zub
Englund - Jaros

Nilsson - Hogberg

Maybe I am misinterpreting various things I've read but

On Norris - the guy is a machine, a superb athlete that just has that gene that he'll do whatever it takes

On Brown - the guy believes he is already NHL ready and he's being unjustly held back

If there's any truth to those takes then i think it's possible if not likely that the gap between them widens over this break.

Mann said not long ago he thought Norris was ready and Brown was not.

I think this prolonged offseason is crucial to Brown becoming an NHL player. We've got a new kid in town coming with the 2020 draft and it's not hard for me to see Brown going nowhere in a Sens jersey due to his own non chalance about it, possibly his own sense of entitlement.

I hope that's way off base, a one two punch of Byfield and Brown would be a real problem for 31 other teams

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Maybe I am misinterpreting various things I've read but

On Norris - the guy is a machine, a superb athlete that just has that gene that he'll do whatever it takes

On Brown - the guy believes he is already NHL ready and he's being unjustly held back

If there's any truth to those takes then i think it's possible if not likely that the gap between them widens over this break.

Mann said not long ago he thought Norris was ready and Brown was not.

I think this prolonged offseason is crucial to Brown becoming an NHL player. We've got a new kid in town coming with the 2020 draft and it's not hard for me to see Brown going nowhere in a Sens jersey due to his own non chalance about it, possibly his own sense of entitlement.

I hope that's way off base, a one two punch of Byfield and Brown would be a real problem for 31 other teams
I don’t know if any of that is true on brown. But it is funny that people say parents that played in the NHL teach their kids what it takes to make it because they’ve been there. I feel like more often than not they just raise entitled little shits. Not saying brown is that.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I don’t know if any of that is true on brown. But it is funny that people say parents that played in the NHL teach their kids what it takes to make it because they’ve been there. I feel like more often than not they just raise entitled little shits. Not saying brown is that.

His agent certainly implied that

And ya I'd agree on the entitled little shits, a trait common among the children of the wealthy

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

Chabot - Zaitsev
Wolanin - Zub
Englund - Jaros

Nilsson - Hogberg

Oh I completely agree with you... we will see White and Tierney forced into prime time Center minutes at the expense of Brown and Norris. Tierney will probably earn his but we will see more of Arti than what we need to too. Maybe a delayed AHL season will get Brown more NHL PT.

Reactions: aragorn

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Oh I completely agree with you... we will see White and Tierney forced into prime time Center minutes at the expense of Brown and Norris. Tierney will probably earn his but we will see more of Arti than what we need to too. Maybe a delayed AHL season will get Brown more NHL PT.
What’s with the Arty hate. 15 goals in 49 games.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
What’s with the Arty hate. 15 goals in 49 games.

Just not a useful piece down the road ... and he is blocking Brown etc. It’s easy to say Brown needs to play better than Arti but that is difficult in practice. I really hope they aren’t going to play Arti at 2C for 40+ games hoping to get a 4th rounder for him.

Last edited:

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Just not a useful piece down the road ... and he is blocking Brown etc. It’s easy to say Brown needs to play better than Arti but that is difficult in practice. I really hope they aren’t going to play Arti at 2C for 40+ games hoping to get a 4th rounder for him.
Brown is blocking Brown. He needs to be more focused.

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
I liked Arty this past season. But I am also a big supporter of L. Brown and want him to eventually take over the number 1 spot.

I think Brown is ready for the show. He won't put up big numbers right away but I am hoping for something like 10 goals 30 assists next season.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I think LBrown takes a top 2 center role next year

Norris probably starts in the ahl

Reactions: NB613

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I’m looking forward to seeing different looks next year.

All kinds of guys could find their way into the lineup on at least a temporary basis.

It will be fun to follow.

Reactions: FunkySeeFunkyDoo

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Based on what? I think Norris is better than Brown right now.
I think they will let Norris develop more and also give brown every chance to make it . Think balcers and Abramov get extended looks due to where they are in their development

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
I think they will let Norris develop more and also give brown every chance to make it . Think balcers and Abramov get extended looks due to where they are in their development
That could be the case but Norris already a better defensive player than Brown and last year showed he can be a very good offensive player. I think Brown is on a "very short leash" to prove he can be a regular. I would say 20 games at most.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
That could be the case but Norris already a better defensive player than Brown and last year showed he can be a very good offensive player. I think Brown is on a "very short leash" to prove he can be a regular. I would say 20 games at most.

How so?

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Disagree with the short leash thing

I think brown has more offensive upside compared to Norris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad