Player Discussion Josh Norris C 6’1”

Status
Not open for further replies.

senators101

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
I really like this kid. He's been my favourite prospect for a while, he's going to be a very good 2C that does everything well... Can't wait.

Reactions: Cosmix

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Are you seriously just looking to argue? I don't have time for this crap. You are right, sj fans are devistated by this news. Have a good day.

This franchise really hasn't had much to celebrate from ownership to management to coaching to players for 3 years.

It is a nice accolade and something to cheer. I didn't think raining on it was necessary this morning. I don't think it's necessary at this point in the day either.

And thanks. I had a very productive day

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Can’t wait.
Tkachuk, Norris, Brown, Formenton, Batherson, White, Pinto, Abramov and our picks from this draft going to make for a real fun forward group.
Especially excited to see Norris out there.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Im not diminishing, im pointing out that it won't change how sj feels about the trade one iota and why that's the case.

No matter what, San Jose fans must feel something similar to what Sens fans were feeling after the Duchene trade exploded in our face (that's what happens when your competing team suddenly tanks and the 1st round pick you gave up becomes gold). Only a few times worse though.

Maybe AHL rookie of the year doesn't move the needle much, we didn't need to see that to know that Norris is going to be a very solid NHL player. Just Norris and a top-6 pick is already really great quality, all the other picks (two 2nds + 3rd from DeMelo), Tierney and Balcers are just gravy.

I really hope EK can stay away from injuries for the rest of his career. This trade is already really worth it for us so we don't need EK to be a salary cap anchor on top of it.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Both some early comments in this thread, and before Tkachuk was picked, have taught me that if I want a prospect to be good, I just need to accuse them of secretly being Shane Bowers so that it can blow up in my face later on.

Logan Brown, he's nothing but a Shane Bowers knockoff.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Both some early comments in this thread, and before Tkachuk was picked, have taught me that if I want a prospect to be good, I just need to accuse them of secretly being Shane Bowers so that it can blow up in my face later on.

Especially Shane Pinto.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I really like this kid. He's been my favourite prospect for a while, he's going to be a very good 2C that does everything well... Can't wait.

Norris has become my favorite prospect since the AHL season ended with him scoring and playing as he did. That could change on June 26. :) I really hope so.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Can’t wait.
Tkachuk, Norris, Brown, Formenton, Batherson, White, Pinto, Abramov and our picks from this draft going to make for a real fun forward group.
Especially excited to see Norris out there.

Not quite the young Oilers team of years gone by, but looking good for us.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
And Formenton was gaining on Norris as the season wore on...he must have been up there in the voting as well. His season sort of went under the radar to me given the success of Norris and Batherson.

Having such a young team have such success is certainly a positive.

On the same note, I think Brown was relatively sheltered from criticism this year due to those kids stepping up too. He wasn't bad but didn't the expected step IMO.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Well played, I agree Brown and Bowers I cant even tell the difference.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
And Formenton was gaining on Norris as the season wore on...he must have been up there in the voting as well. His season sort of went under the radar to me given the success of Norris and Batherson.

On the same note, I think Brown was relatively sheltered from criticism this year due to those kids stepping up too. He wasn't bad but didn't the expected step IMO.

I think it's interesting that both Norris and Formenton had slow starts

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011

I think the Formenton/Norris success was also able to steal some spotlight from the best player in the AHL, Drake Batherson. He was unreal and I can only imagine training with Crosby, Mackinnon and Marchand in the summer will only continue to elevate his game.

I expect Batherson to produce a Top 10 scoring season in the NHL at some point in his career, mark my words.

So exciting to have a wealth of young talented prospects with more on the way!

Reactions: guyzeur

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think the Formenton/Norris success was also able to steal some spotlight from the best player in the AHL, Drake Batherson. He was unreal and I can only imagine training with Crosby, Mackinnon and Marchand in the summer will only continue to elevate his game.

I expect Batherson to produce a Top 10 scoring season in the NHL at some point in his career, mark my words.

So exciting to have a wealth of young talented prospects with more on the way!

That's one hell of a "hometown-only training group". They all get the top 10 scoring finishes so obviously Batherson is next! :sarcasm:

Uhm... I doubt that's happening this year.

They train together because they all live in Halifax. Perhaps they've only been doing home workouts, but if they've begun doing group workouts with anyone it would be with each other.

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
Uhm... I doubt that's happening this year.

Oh likely not but when the players were given the okay to resume training but not use team facilities, I assume they probably rented some ice time in Halifax and put in some skates. Or some type of off ice workouts.

Regardless, just being around that trio of players for the last 3 summers has had a profound impact on his game which was very noticeable.

I'll leave it at this, Batherson is the closest thing we have to an Alfredsson in the org (maybe slightly less tenacious at this point).

Reactions: NB613

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
No matter what, San Jose fans must feel something similar to what Sens fans were feeling after the Duchene trade exploded in our face (that's what happens when your competing team suddenly tanks and the 1st round pick you gave up becomes gold). Only a few times worse though.

Maybe AHL rookie of the year doesn't move the needle much, we didn't need to see that to know that Norris is going to be a very solid NHL player. Just Norris and a top-6 pick is already really great quality, all the other picks (two 2nds + 3rd from DeMelo), Tierney and Balcers are just gravy.

I really hope EK can stay away from injuries for the rest of his career. This trade is already really worth it for us so we don't need EK to be a salary cap anchor on top of it.

If say we did need to see Norris play. Most on this board hated the EK deal until the combo of Norris strong play and the reality the SJ pick was going to be decent settled in last fall.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Norris is going to be one of the better second line centres in the league in a few years IMO. He is either average or above average in every aspect of the game. He has no real deficiencies. He will be a coaches dream IMO.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I think it's interesting that both Norris and Formenton had slow starts

I suspect that slow start was partly a function of being new to the league and the coaching staff easing them into the lineup. Both players certainly showed tremendous growth by season end. Those two plus Brown give us some hope for the future.

Reactions: Sweatred

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Norris is going to be one of the better second line centres in the league in a few years IMO. He is either average or above average in every aspect of the game. He has no real deficiencies. He will be a coaches dream IMO.

He's such a unique player in that respect. I have always felt that you need to shine in at least one aspect to be a viable top 6 player. He does nothing at a great level which is why I thought his upside was of a 3rd liner. But his play has been head turning so far.

Last edited:

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
Byfield/Stutzle-Norris-Brown down the middle has a lot of potential.

Pretty excited to see how far Norris can go though, hes the total package.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

I agree but I can see him being moved to LW in a year or so if we draft 1-2C’s with our first few picks in 2020z

Brown and Bath are already pass first type players and Brady hasn’t developed a trigger yet. Stutzle is another pass first type player potentially in the top 6 so that group would desperately need a trigger and Norris (or Duclair) may have the teams best shot.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

sure...

From Mckeens Hockey -Subscribe

Feb 2017 Scouting Report
"Further, his skating and size are both NHL fits. I could easily see him blossoming if allowed to focus more on his offensive traits, but even as a two-way center, he could find a top six role in the NHL in his future."

2017 Draft Guide
"He may only profile as a middle six center at the highest level, but that is a strong outcome for a late first round pick. If there can be such a thing as a sleeper in the first round, Norris is it."

17/18 Yearbook
" A player without a clear weakness to his game, Norris is also a physical specimen. He has special playmaking skills, hiding his intentions and continuously able to surprise opponents with his passes, weighted just so to hit a teammate in stride. He is also a plus-plus defensive player, skilled at regaining possession and pushing the puck in the right direction. While he scored plenty for the USNTDP, his shot is his least impressive attribute. Has top six potential."

18/19 Yearbook
" A special playmaker and a fabulous defensively-inclined centerman like Norris can be of value anywhere in the lineup, but exudes top-six potential with his patience, smarts, and puck-possession game."

19/20 Yearbook
"He was the hockey wherewithal to play a bottom six role right away, but he projects as a clear top six center at his best, presuming full health in the shoulder."

Pronman: How does the return for Erik Karlsson impact the Senators' rebuild?

"The most optimistic scouts I talk to about Norris believe he has significant upside, meaning they see him as a good top-six forward; it’s why he went in the first round even though I think he’s more of a second-round caliber prospect. Those advocates point to how great an athlete he is and how coaches trust him in all the tough situations, but they also acknowledge his skills aren’t standout and he needs work. The more pessimistic scouts just don’t buy him having enough offense and projects out as a third-liner — tops. I tend to fall in the latter camp, but enough people I trust really like the kid that it’s made me watch him a lot."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->