Player Discussion: Josh Ho-Sang

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Who's trolling? I am an Islander fan just like everyone else here, but I'm also not blind to the weaknesses in St. Mathew's game. It is not a fluke that our franchise player gets so much attention but still can't crack, or can just barely in one instance, any of the top 50 player lists. The reason: objective people watch and come to the same conclusions I do.

ok - you’re not.

but, I’ll entertain for a second -
Who gives a f*** about top 50 player list - who drafts those lists? Right, exactly. and to your point wasn’t he elected to go #2 in the redraft.

Barzal is NOT a sniper- he is a playmaker that’s what he does! Can he shoot? Not like Ovechkin, but he can zip it and has a great backhand too.

does he turn the puck over - yes because he handles the puck a lot and doesn’t dish it the moment it lands on his stick like most, because he has that gift to create and by god I hope he doesn’t stop trying to create and be dynamic. he also takes the puck away a lot too.

There is a lot wrong on this team, but Maty isn’t one of them. Would we all like to see more production right now? Hell, most of us would like to see more wins.

And a piece of advice - Jesus Christ watch the games! And don’t come on here after some crap games and spew your BS analysis.

let’s go Isles!

pursuit81

Apr 12, 2018
where is this free shot? if he was free I can assure you someone is going to take a chance on him, a team had to put on waivers a player who was named to their 23 man roster in order to take a chance on Ho-Sang, and we can bring up cases of players who have been "black-balled" in the past (and present) for something unjust and I am sure you will say that is the proof you need why they are not on the roster when there is a underlying issue to it
But this isn't just any player, this is Josh Ho-Sang we're talking about. Surely someone could free up a roster spot for a generational talent such as his.

pursuit81

Apr 12, 2018
ok - you’re not.

but, I’ll entertain for a second -
Who gives a **** about top 50 player list - who drafts those lists? Right, exactly. and to your point wasn’t he elected to go #2 in the redraft.

Barzal is NOT a sniper- he is a playmaker that’s what he does! Can he shoot? Not like Ovechkin, but he can zip it and has a great backhand too.

does he turn the puck over - yes because he handles the puck a lot and doesn’t dish it the moment it lands on his stick like most, because he has that gift to create and by god I hope he doesn’t stop trying to create and be dynamic. he also takes the puck away a lot too.

There is a lot wrong on this team, but Maty isn’t one of them. Would we all like to see more production right now? Hell, most of us would like to see more wins.

And a piece of advice - Jesus Christ watch the games! And don’t come on here after some crap games and spew your BS analysis.

let’s go Isles!
My analysis isn't BS, it just isn't clouded by blind devotion. I like Barzal, I want him to do well and lead the team. But he isn't there by a long shot.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
But this isn't just any player, this is Josh Ho-Sang we're talking about. Surely someone could free up a roster spot for a generational talent such as his.
no one is saying he is a generational talent, but he has the skills to be a very good top 6 winger but he is not being given the same opportunities as others for "some" reason

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
I haven't been on here much so I'm not sure why I don't have a like button but this comment is spot on. I said it yesterday and I'll say it again, right now Barzal looks a lot like JHS out there. Dazzling but otherwise pretty useless.
No there is a noticeable difference. Barzal is a lot stronger on the puck who has gotten himself in a lot of scoring opportunities this season but can’t finish. JHS as soon as anybody touches him he loses the puck. Jhs passing vision skating a notch below barzal. Both can’t finish well and have weak shots.

Reactions: bigtim1988

pursuit81

Apr 12, 2018
no one is saying he is a generational talent, but he has the skills to be a very good top 6 winger but he is not being given the same opportunities as others for "some" reason
There a lot of guys out there with top six skills playing in the AHL, the ECHL or not playing anywhere at all. And there you go again with the "he should be given an opportunity". He shouldn't be given a damn thing, if he was good enough and smart enough, he would take the opportunity in a way that leaves no doubt. He never does.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Staple also said there was more incidents with JHS that the public does not know about. Shocker there!

Staple mentioned that Snow told him off the record there was stuff before the oversleeping, but since then Josh has been good off ice - there was the interview with Staple where Josh was a bit free about weight and coaching staff that ruffled some feathers. Since Lou came on-board JHS has kept his mouth shut and has done what was asked - unfortunately for Josh coaching staff has Dal Colle and Kuhnackl ahead of him in the pecking order.

Josh should not have asked for the trade and just played his ass off at Bport- opportunities do creep up.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA

Not given opportunities? They pay him $874,000 per year to put himself in the best possible condition and position to take a top 6 spot on the team and you think he wasn’t given opportunities? How many years have they given him to make the team? I think you are taking lightly the opportunities given to JHS.

Last edited:

Kvashin

Aug 14, 2005
If JHS went quietly to Bridgeport and we lost to the Panthers, people on here would be begging for him. Search your feelings, you know it to be true...

Reactions: Poster Unknown

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
He lacks a lot more than just a shot. He lacks judgement, is a turnover machine and falls down unmolested a lot. While his defensive game has improved, that's not what he's on the team for.

He fell down a lot in one game. He doesn't really fall down that much at all. In fact, I've been left speechless thinking he should have fallen down when he hasn't. Can't agree with that statement, at all. His shot is putrid. That's Barzal's only weakness. He doesn't turn the puck over anymore than any other team's players that have the puck on their stick most of their shifts. https://www.foxsports.com/nhl/stats...sort=8&time=0&pos=0&team=0&qual=1&sortOrder=1

pursuit81

Apr 12, 2018
He fell down a lot in one game. He doesn't really fall down that much at all. In fact, I've been left speechless thinking he should have fallen down when he hasn't. Can't agree with that statement, at all. His shot is putrid. That's Barzal's only weakness. He doesn't turn the puck over anymore than any other team's players that have the puck on their stick most of their shifts. https://www.foxsports.com/nhl/stats...sort=8&time=0&pos=0&team=0&qual=1&sortOrder=1
No idea what you're watching. He wipes out unmolested often. Now, yes, he also stays on his feet in situations when it seems impossible to do so, but to deny he blows a tire, much of the time with no nail in the road, at higher than normal rate is willful blindness. As for his giveaway numbers, according to the stats link you put up, he had 117 last season, sixth worst in the league. This year, he's worst on the team by double and leads the NHL, so thanks for making my argument for me. As for his shot, yup, it's putrid. But isn't just his shot, he can't score in close either. And who has a worse conversion rate among those considered to be "elite" players on breakaways? He's almost an embarrassment. Do I even need to mention faceoffs other than to say, "ugh"? The fans need to take their blinders off with respect to Barzal and he needs to stop reading the PR about himself because so far I have no idea what he was doing this summer, but it appears that it wasn't working on any of the areas of his game that need major improvement.

And for the record, it gives me no pleasure whatsoever to write any of this.

Last edited:

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
No idea what you're watching. He wipes out unmolested often. Now, yes, he also stays on his feet in situations when it seems impossible to do so, but to deny he blows a tire, much of the time with no nail in the road, at higher than normal rate is willful blindness. As for his giveaway numbers, according to the stats link you put up, he had 117 last season, sixth worst in the league. This year, he's worst on the team by double and leads the NHL, so thanks for making my argument for me. As for his shot, yup, it's putrid. But isn't just his shot, he can't score in close either. And who has a worse conversion rate among those considered to be "elite" players on breakaways? He's almost an embarrassment. Do I even need to mention faceoffs other than to say, "ugh". The fans need to take their blinders off with respect to Barzal and he needs to stop reading the PR about himself because so far I have no idea what he was doing this summer, but it appears that he wasn't working on any of the areas of his game that need major improvement.

And for the record, it gives me no pleasure whatsoever to write any of this.

Why would you think I have blinders when I was the one arguing with SI that Barzal's shot was horrid? I consider myself pretty unbiased with Barzal. His shot is horrendous and its absolutely one thing I wish he would work on, but after that there isn't a whole lot to complain about.

Look at the company at the top of the list. All guys that control the puck for their team. Leon Draisaitl and Dylan Larkin must be trash too eh? Drew Doughty is a bum. Simple fact is giveaways are always going to happen with the best players. JT lead the league in giveaways one year.

He blows a tire occasionally, and it happened a lot last game (surprise surprise, it's not even cold yet). I'm not going to argue how often he does it but for a guy that twists and turns on the ice at top speed like he does, thinking you got the haterade going on, the exact opposite of blinders. That's like saying a Nascar driver crashes too much.... Whatever.

Reactions: SI and Frankie41987

pursuit81

Apr 12, 2018
Why would you think I have blinders when I was the one arguing with SI that Barzal's shot was horrid? I consider myself pretty unbiased with Barzal. His shot is horrendous and its absolutely one thing I wish he would work on, but after that there isn't a whole lot to complain about.

Look at the company at the top of the list. All guys that control the puck for their team. Leon Draisaitl and Dylan Larkin must be trash too eh? Drew Doughty is a bum. Simple fact is giveaways are always going to happen with the best players. JT lead the league in giveaways one year.

He blows a tire occasionally, and it happened a lot last game (surprise surprise, it's not even cold yet). I'm not going to argue how often he does it but for a guy that twists and turns on the ice at top speed like he does, thinking you got the haterade going on, the exact opposite of blinders. That's like saying a Nascar driver crashes too much.... Whatever.
Yes, look at the guys at the top of the list. And if Barzy could score like those guys do, his GA rate would be forgivable. He doesn't. As for the other areas of his game that you find no complaint with, faceoffs, really, no complaints? You do know that he's our #1 center right?

And the NASCAR analogy. Pretty funny but way off the mark. Yes, they crash on occasion but the goal is to not crash and those that crash too much don't hang around long. Barzy often crashes when no one else has touched him.

As for "haterade", whatever that is, no, I'm just tired of hearing how great Barzy is when what I see on the ice isn't. That isn't hate, but, yes, it is the opposite of blinders

Frankie41987

Feb 1, 2007
Kings Park
Giveaways is a terrible stat. It’s extremely subjective and the “leaders” are always the best players in the league because as mentioned before, it’s always going to be the guys possessing the puck and the guys whose job it is to transition to the offensive zone. You shouldn’t put any stock into it at all.

Reactions: LeapOnOver and SI

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
I doubt barzie can learn to shoot. He's been playing since he was 4 years old probably. A guess, is, he's not muscular enough, and his hands, fore arm bones are not as large and strong as others in the NHL. Mike bossy said the reason he was such a good shooter was the strength in his hands. Shooting a puck is not easy for smaller players. I suppose he could just try and score Anders Lee goals but that . would require standing in front of goalies and defenseman waiting for rebounds which is not happening. But expecting him to change his game in a offseason isn't realistic

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
Let's get this kid to BPT already. He's under our control and doesn't have a say in the matter if he wants to get paid or ever make the NHL.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Let's get this kid to BPT already. He's under our control and doesn't have a say in the matter if he wants to get paid or ever make the NHL.
He should have just reported immediately.

Eberle hurt, Whalstorm recalled. Could have been Ho-Sang, that's how quick these things happen.

Reactions: MJF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad