Player Discussion: Josh Ho-Sang

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. If JHS had had a big weekend in BPT last weekend, there'd be big-time pressure on MDC these next few games to hold JHS off. As it stands, Wahlstrom would like be the next callup if MDC gets sent down.

It looks like there's been no trade. JHS should get to BPT ASAP and start playing hockey.

Kvashin

Aug 14, 2005
I agree. After 10 games when MDC has 1 goal that deflected off of him by accident the pressure to call up JHS would likely be intense. Huge mistake just not sucking it up and reporting. He should definitely get there ASAP.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I agree. After 10 games when MDC has 1 goal that deflected off of him by accident the pressure to call up JHS would likely be intense. Huge mistake just not sucking it up and reporting. He should definitely get there ASAP.

True -

last game was not a good game to judge MDC - 20% of the game was played by special teams and MDC does not kill penalties or play the pp.

the next 10 to 15 games would be a good sample size to see if MDC can play regular minutes in the NHL.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
JHS has no value so trading him makes little sense. Same with jag MDC.
Wahlstrom may be great but he maybe average. Same with Dobson both of who I watched live at the Islanders rookie camp last season. Both showed flashes of brilliance but seemed three years or so away. So I'm surprised that both kids are being rushed.

Now if they earned it fine however why is Lou putting his eggs in one basket?

And Ive never seen such high optimism for two players drafted In the teens. Don't get me wrong I like both players as much as the next person but we have no guarantees.
I was criticized for wanting to tank for Kappo myself. Truth be told he's not a sure thing either.
What makes people so sure that Noah and Wally are as well?
And just look at how fast people have soured on Bellows as an example.

That was last season and 3 years away? The truth is Wahlstrom and Dobson showed a lot more to the coaching staff to be considered on the team or the next in the pecking order for a callup. Proof of that is Dobson's 18 + minutes on playing time in his first NHL game and Wahlstrom's performance at camp, late last season at Bridgeport, and his continued success now.

Now, if Dobson was able to play at B'port he most likely would not be on the team, but not because he can't play. It is more because of the roster crunch of vets on the blueline, but because of his situation, it has worked in his favor. I can see Dobson have similar success that Charlie McAvoy had when he was called up as a 19-year-old.

Bellows? Bellows sucks.

Isles Fan

Sep 12, 2006

Yes, there's going to be TONS of pressure on the organization to bring up a guy they tried to give away for nothing and has asked for a trade.....:huh:

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
That was last season and 3 years away? The truth is Wahlstrom and Dobson showed a lot more to the coaching staff to be considered on the team or the next in the pecking order for a callup. Proof of that is Dobson's 18 + minutes on playing time in his first NHL game and Wahlstrom's performance at camp, late last season at Bridgeport, and his continued success now.

Now, if Dobson was able to play at B'port he most likely would not be on the team, but not because he can't play. It is more because of the roster crunch of vets on the blueline, but because of his situation, it has worked in his favor. I can see Dobson have similar success that Charlie McAvoy had when he was called up as a 19-year-old.

Bellows? Bellows sucks.
Bellows actually is noticeable quicker this year he clearly worked on his skating he is going to play in nhl, not sure where but he has great shot and works hard/ plays hard he at worst is going to be a bottom six forward who chips in a bit in goal end IMO. He cou,d still end up as a 25-30 goal guy if his skating keeps improving.

pursuit81

Apr 12, 2018
But he can't shoot for s****. The Ice Capades might have been a better career move.
I haven't been on here much so I'm not sure why I don't have a like button but this comment is spot on. I said it yesterday and I'll say it again, right now Barzal looks a lot like JHS out there. Dazzling but otherwise pretty useless.

Reactions: warrior60

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
The disconnected reality that makes people think that JHS is an answer to anything that is plaguing this team right now is as funny as it is sad.

Not only is it a question whether JHS is an answer for any NHL team, it's painfully obvious that his erratic play is definitely not an answer for this team. We need offense, but we don't need junior level all-star game offense.

Reactions: MJF

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
The disconnected reality that makes people think that JHS is an answer to anything that is plaguing this team right now is as funny as it is sad.
JHS should be playing in Bridgeport he could have had shot especially if Eberle is out but nope he pouted and asked to be traded and hasn’t been because nobody else wants him. He is blowing another shot at NHL IMO right now.

pursuit81

Apr 12, 2018
Barzal is definitely not useless. That's ridiculous. He made a ton of defensive plays tonight. Just because he lacks a shot doesn't mean he's completely useless. If he had a ridiculous shot, he'd be a top 5 player in the NHL. JHS can't make an NHL team. Barzal was ROY and would have 30 teams listening intently on a trade and would be giving up a ton.
He lacks a lot more than just a shot. He lacks judgement, is a turnover machine and falls down unmolested a lot. While his defensive game has improved, that's not what he's on the team for.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
the hatred people have over Ho-Sang when he has done nothing but show at the NHL level he is a very interesting prospect who may very well have a promising NHL career if he is given a real chance is what is really sad, it really makes you wonder why, there is no one who is non biased who thinks or thought Dal Colle is a better use of a roster space than Ho-Sang, no one.

Reactions: IslandersGER

pursuit81

Apr 12, 2018
the hatred people have over Ho-Sang when he has done nothing but show at the NHL level he is a very interesting prospect who may very well have a promising NHL career if he is given a real chance is what is really sad, it really makes you wonder why, there is no one who is non biased who thinks or thought Dal Colle is a better use of a roster space than Ho-Sang, no one.
You should have stopped there.

And please, don't confuse realism with hatred.

Reactions: MJF

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
You should have stopped there.

And please, don't confuse realism with hatred.
what realism? is it is his 24 points in 54 games which is very interesting as a 22 year old, is it all the analytics which says he makes his linemates better and the team is better if he is in the lineup? what realism are you talking about?

pursuit81

Apr 12, 2018
what realism? is it is his 24 points in 54 games which is very interesting as a 22 year old, is it all the analytics which says he makes his linemates better and the team is better if he is in the lineup? what realism are you talking about?
For all of his ability, coaches, gms and organizations, both good and bad, don't want him on their team. That's the reality.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
How things would be different right now - if he just would have taken his medicine and went played his ass off at Bport - we might be talking up about a call up.

I wonder when and if this trade will happen -
The kid needs to get his ass to Bport now! Or Lou needs to make it happen already.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
For all of his ability, coaches good and bad don't want him on their team. That's the reality.
what coaches? I know there is the incident of Boughner who was brought up last week, and as it was proven once he got rid of Ho-Sang his team stunk and Ho-Sang's new team prospered, what other instances are there? for all we know Barry wants Ho-Sang on the team but it is Lou who has not been impressive in his tenure as GM wants him off, what other instances are you aware of for sure?

pursuit81

Apr 12, 2018
what coaches? I know there is the incident of Boughner who was brought up last week, and as it was proven once he got rid of Ho-Sang his team stunk and Ho-Sang's new team prospered, what other instances are there? for all we know Barry wants Ho-Sang on the team but it is Lou who has not been impressive in his tenure as GM wants him off, what other instances are you aware of for sure?
I don't need instances. I don't need any more proof than that he's not on the team, in fact, he's not on any NHL team. The whole league just had a free shot at this supposed savior, they passed. Why is that?

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I haven't been on here much so I'm not sure why I don't have a like button but this comment is spot on. I said it yesterday and I'll say it again, right now Barzal looks a lot like JHS out there. Dazzling but otherwise pretty useless.

pursuit81

Apr 12, 2018
Stop Trolling.
Who's trolling? I am an Islander fan just like everyone else here, but I'm also not blind to the weaknesses in St. Mathew's game. It is not a fluke that our franchise player gets so much attention but still can't crack, or can just barely in one instance, any of the top 50 player lists. The reason: objective people watch and come to the same conclusions I do.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
I don't need instances. I don't need any more proof than that he's not on the team, in fact, he's not on any NHL team. The whole league just had a free shot at this supposed savior, they passed. Why is that?
where is this free shot? if he was free I can assure you someone is going to take a chance on him, a team had to put on waivers a player who was named to their 23 man roster in order to take a chance on Ho-Sang, and we can bring up cases of players who have been "black-balled" in the past (and present) for something unjust and I am sure you will say that is the proof you need why they are not on the roster when there is a underlying issue to it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad