Confirmed with Link: Josh Ho-Sang signs AHL Contract

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Happy for him. I know people had doubts about him but he's impressed and his attitude seems good!

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Let this guy marinade with the Marlies, we can be patient and invest in his skillset and then get him back on track and bring him up.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Great. I would have locked him in to a prove me year this year and a bonus for next year to give the Leaf some run way and flexibility without the pressure of re-signing him next year but this is a good start too.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
what's the deal if they want to bring him up this season though? can they mutually terminate the deal and then sign him to a 2-way NHL/AHL?

Yes, but they probably don't have plans of doing that unless we run into serious injury troubles or we have a lot of guys get claimed on waivers.

Anderson, Semyonov, Brooks, Simmonds, Robertson... There are a ton of guys outside of the top 12 who will likely get playing time before the Leafs give him a contract, short of him being dominant.

Reactions: Twine Tickler

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Very good move for the organization and for Ho Sang. He’s got NHL level offensive talent for sure, if we can just work on the rest of his game. Let’s turn him into a NHL player in all respects now, seems like he finally has the right attitude too.

The Marlies should be a good team, if the coaching and D gets sorted.

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
good news for him ....... he needs to absolutly dominate the A ... and show 2 things.
1- show he can play a 200 foot game
2- show he can score, 10 goals a year or .5ppg in the A is not impressive.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
As predicted :D

It would seem that the logical play would be to sign him to a "decent" AHL contract to start with and go from there. I'm not clear on the process of converting that to an NHL contract should the need arise at some point.
This gives them a chance to have a good long look at him to see if his "change" has actually been embedded. He and Robertson could be an excellent duo on the Marlies for another year.

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
He definitely slowed down a bit compared to his first game but I am thrilled to hear he will be sticking around

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
I was definitely hoping for an NHL 2 yr league minimum deal, but this works out great...

I thought he would've gotten NHL offers elsewhere if we didn't give him one, so im a bit surprised but glad since it saves us from worrying about waivers.

If he plays well enough that we sign him to an NHL contract later this year, I'd expect a 2yr deal so we get him for 1.5yrs.

We still have a logjam of waiver eligible forwards upfront, but this gives us more depth incase some of our fringe guys struggle, we lose a bunch of players to waivers, and/or injuries.

Reactions: LeafsGuy16

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
im gonna have to catch some marlies games this year...i hope greg moore doesnt ruin it for me though lol.

Reactions: geo25

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
This move checks so many boxes. JHS does not have trouble producing in the AHL and should contribute to the Marlies being a strong team this year.

What gets me though is how good this move is in the grand scheme of things. Dubas has set it up so that it will be up to the smaller, skilled Leafs forward prospects to either out-produce JHS or refine an element in their game to leapfrog him to get NHL play time.

Reactions: The Best Leafs Ever

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
what's the deal if they want to bring him up this season though? can they mutually terminate the deal and then sign him to a 2-way NHL/AHL?
This works out better than a two way deal right now anyways. No waivers and the Leafs have a habit of paying guys near max AHL salary on those types of contracts which is what he would be making on a two way deal.

A team like Ottawa probably wouldn't be able to pull this off, but we can and do pretty often.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
He'll be good secondary scoring for the Marlies.
There’s a good chance he is the top scorer. Go Marlies go.

He’s shown good character here. I’m hoping he lights it up, and is ready to seize an opportunity.

Reactions: Jeypic

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Josh Ho-Sang Signs AHL-Only Deal With Toronto Marlies, Released From Maple Leafs Tryout - Sports Illustrated

The Toronto Maple Leafs are keeping Josh Ho-Sang around.

The forward signed a one-year deal with the Toronto Marlies. The AHL-only deal allows the Maple Leafs to keep their eyes on the 25-year-old from Thornhill, Ontario.

"His maturity level just seemed to (go up) another notch in all areas," Maple Leafs captain John Tavares said to TSN of Ho-Sang during the second intermission of the team's pre-season game against the Montreal Canadiens on Tuesday. "The way he carries himself, his approach on the ice, the consistency he's bringing and just simplifying his game a little bit."

By signing Ho-Sang to an AHL-only deal, the Maple Leafs are afforded some flexibility should the forward earn a spot with the NHL club.

Given his age and games played at the NHL level, Ho-Sang requires waivers should the Leafs send him down to the Marlies on an NHL contract. By signing Ho-Sang to an AHL-only deal, the Leafs can convert the deal to NHL-level contract down the road.

"You can tell that he's come here with a purpose of looking to improve his game," Maple Leafs coach Sheldon Keefe said. "He's got to do the good things he's done here for a longer period of time and that level of consistency is something we're asking from all of our players."

Both situations require waivers, but only when the player is sent down. Had he been on an NHL-contract during training camp, he would be exposed if cut from the roster.

The Leafs did something similar with Rich Clune during the 2015-16 season. They signed him to an AHL deal before converting his deal to an NHL contract just before he made his Maple Leafs debut on Oct. 30, 2015 against the New York Rangers.

The Maple Leafs currently have 47 NHL contracts out of a possible 50 allowed in the collective bargaining agreement. By keeping Ho-Sang at an AHL-deal, it doesn't occupy one of those spots, allowing for increased flexibility in the event they need to add to their lineup.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Hopefully he kicks it up a notch. In 178 games in the AHL he has 30 goals and 93 assists.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
This situation was trending this direction that he had done and shown enough that he would get a chance with the Marlies.

Statsman1

Oct 31, 2014
Watching him this year, he is an easy kid to root for. Signing this contract shows that he is backing up what he said about doing whatever it takes. Awesome to see.

Not sure what happened with NYI, but that is water under the bridge now. Hopefully Josh gets up with the big boys soon!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad