Player Discussion: Josh Ho-Sang

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
it is a joke what happened to him, most Islander fans were very high on him than the Islanders replaced him with Dal Colle after a 10 game same size 2 years ago and than Dal Colle has basically shown nothing as far as being a viable NHL player while Ho-Sang definitely provided some skills

It has never been question of skill holding back Ho-Sang, it is that he doesn't listen to coaches or follow the defensive system they want to implement.

I think the Snow/Weight tenure was a disaster and they definitely didn't help his development (and hindered the development of most of the young players), however, he was given a golden chance to turn his career around with Trotz as coach, but they wanted to see him play within the system in Bridgeport.

Instead he pouted, continued to free lance in his assignments and blew it yet again. He is like Ebby Calvin "Nuke" Laloosh from Bull Durham, million-dollar talent but a five-cent head.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
It has never been question of skill holding back Ho-Sang, it is that he doesn't listen to coaches or follow the defensive system they want to implement.

I think the Snow/Weight tenure was a disaster and they definitely didn't help his development (and hindered the development of most of the young players), however, he was given a golden chance to turn his career around with Trotz as coach, but they wanted to see him play within the system in Bridgeport.

Instead he pouted, continued to free lance in his assignments and blew it yet again. He is like Ebby Calvin "Nuke" Laloosh from Bull Durham, million-dollar talent but a five-cent head.
all baseless accusation, and the facts do not support the "does not follow defensive system" theory

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
all baseless accusation, and the facts do not support the "does not follow defensive system" theory

With that clip of Trotz, you are making my point for me. It is clear that Trotz was initially encouraged by Ho-Sang's play a couple years ago and had no ill-will towards him. JHS had a clean slate.

I am not a fan of MDC so I probably would have kept JHS over MDC, but I can understand the Isles thought process. MDC didn't get much ice time when other payers were healthy at the start of the season, they wanted JHS to go down and work on a few things in Bridgeport and they correctly guessed that they could pass him through waivers.

Wahlstrom and Holmstrom were also sent down around the same time while Bellows was sent down a week earlier. The Isles sent down multiple prospects with talent, it wasn't like they were singling out Ho-Sang. They probably saw less upside in MDC over any of the aforementioned players and weren't concerned that a lack of playing time would hurt MDC's growth.

If Ho-Sang had just reported to Bridgeport and put in the work, when the Isles had a quick run of injuries early on, Ho-Sang probably would have been one of the first call ups. Instead he complained, asked for a trade, made a nuisance of himself and was asked not to report while they tried to find a trade for him. JHS and his agent gambled and made a mistake because no one wanted him for free or via trade.

This article, with lots of direct quotes from him, documents many issues and problems: Sunday Big Read: Josh Ho-Sang vs. the world - Sportsnet.ca

These are Ho-Sang's own words from the article: The Islanders are trying to find a balance between these two sides of their young prospect, and Ho-Sang is trying to find a balance within himself. “When I came into this league, I was a little shithead who was growing into a bigger shithead, basically,” he says. “I just wanted to hang high in the zone and chill for breakaways because I thought I was the best player on the team. I’ve definitely been tough to coach. But I’m definitely getting easier. I’m working on it. It’s patience. And it’s frustration. It’s tough adjusting. I’m trying to play a more complete game, be a more complete hockey player. We’ll see what happens next.”

Clearly Ho-Sang overplayed his hand yet again and exhausted the patience of management. I believe there were also multiple benching in Bridgeport after Ho-Sang finally reported for both on-ice and off-ice issues. He just didn't get it in his time here.

Reactions: GrandmaSlices51631

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
With that clip of Trotz, you are making my point for me. It is clear that Trotz was initially encouraged by Ho-Sang's play a couple years ago and had no ill-will towards him. JHS had a clean slate.

I am not a fan of MDC so I probably would have kept JHS over MDC, but I can understand the Isles thought process. MDC didn't get much ice time when other payers were healthy at the start of the season, they wanted JHS to go down and work on a few things in Bridgeport and they correctly guessed that they could pass him through waivers.

Wahlstrom and Holmstrom were also sent down around the same time while Bellows was sent down a week earlier. The Isles sent down multiple prospects with talent, it wasn't like they were singling out Ho-Sang. They probably saw less upside in MDC over any of the aforementioned players and weren't concerned that a lack of playing time would hurt MDC's growth.

If Ho-Sang had just reported to Bridgeport and put in the work, when the Isles had a quick run of injuries early on, Ho-Sang probably would have been one of the first call ups. Instead he complained, asked for a trade, made a nuisance of himself and was asked not to report while they tried to find a trade for him. JHS and his agent gambled and made a mistake because no one wanted him for free or via trade.

This article, with lots of direct quotes from him, documents many issues and problems: Sunday Big Read: Josh Ho-Sang vs. the world - Sportsnet.ca

These are Ho-Sang's own words from the article: The Islanders are trying to find a balance between these two sides of their young prospect, and Ho-Sang is trying to find a balance within himself. “When I came into this league, I was a little shithead who was growing into a bigger shithead, basically,” he says. “I just wanted to hang high in the zone and chill for breakaways because I thought I was the best player on the team. I’ve definitely been tough to coach. But I’m definitely getting easier. I’m working on it. It’s patience. And it’s frustration. It’s tough adjusting. I’m trying to play a more complete game, be a more complete hockey player. We’ll see what happens next.”

Clearly Ho-Sang overplayed his hand yet again and exhausted the patience of management. I believe there were also multiple benching in Bridgeport after Ho-Sang finally reported for both on-ice and off-ice issues. He just didn't get it in his time here.

Trotz said that 3 games into his 10 game call up, the stats don't show Ho-Sang did anything to deserve a demotion to bury him in those remaining 7 games, especially in favor of an inferior player in Dal Colle, after Ho-Sang after was buried after that call up and than subsequently waived by the team in the fall of 2019 he had every right to request a trade because I am pretty sure he figured there was a good chance the Islanders were going to bury him again

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Trotz said that 3 games into his 10 game call up, the stats don't show Ho-Sang did anything to deserve a demotion to bury him in those remaining 7 games, especially in favor of an inferior player in Dal Colle, after Ho-Sang after was buried after that call up and than subsequently waived by the team in the fall of 2019 he had every right to request a trade because I am pretty sure he figured there was a good chance the Islanders were going to bury him again

If I recall correctly, one of the reasons for his demotion was that Trotz repeatedly asked him to shoot more and he didn't listen. I can't see Trotz sending him down if he thought he could help the Isles or holding some kind of grudge against him.

JHS had every right to request a trade, but the Isles tried to trade him and nobody wanted him. Nobody even wanted him for free off waivers.

He caused an issue when there didn't need to be one, otherwise he probably would have been back with the Isles if he just worked hard, putr up points in the AHL and followed instructions.

When he came back, he was OK but there were rumblings that there were more issues behind the scenes, including being late to games and practices, hence the loan to San Antonio.

I have nothing against him and hoped he would succeed. But he wore out his welcome and is off to the KHL now. It seems like his Isles career has run its course and we will just have to wait and see if he ever puts it together. I hope he does but won't be surprised if he doesn't.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
If I recall correctly, one of the reasons for his demotion was that Trotz repeatedly asked him to shoot more and he didn't listen. I can't see Trotz sending him down if he thought he could help the Isles or holding some kind of grudge against him.

JHS had every right to request a trade, but the Isles tried to trade him and nobody wanted him. Nobody even wanted him for free off waivers.
was it Trotz who sent him down? I always wonder who makes the decisions as far as who decided it was Dal Colle over Ho-Sang as far as going into the 2019-20 season, and who decided for Ho-Sang or whoever to go back to Bridgeport after his 10 game last Islander call up
and you do not know no one wanted him, I heard there were rumblings of a trade but Lou did not like the offers, as for waivers, as its been said it is not like a team could have had him for "free", they would have had to waive a player they had slated to make their roster

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
was it Trotz who sent him down? I always wonder who makes the decisions as far as who decided it was Dal Colle over Ho-Sang as far as going into the 2019-20 season, and who decided for Ho-Sang or whoever to go back to Bridgeport after his 10 game last Islander call up
and you do not know no one wanted him, I heard there were rumblings of a trade but Lou did not like the offers, as for waivers, as its been said it is not like a team could have had him for "free", they would have had to waive a player they had slated to make their roster

It still says something that not a single NHL team could find a single player to waive for Ho-Sang.

Moreover, if rumors are to be assumed true that there were offers (when he was already available through waivers) then the return was likely a prohibitive contract.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005

Given their level of experience and expertise, Trotz and the coaching staff clearly have a say on who they want on the roster. They might not make the ultimate decision, but it is definitely an important factor.

Here is the last thing I will say on the Ho-Sang matter, in today's culture where people and teammates are speaking up to defend each other against poor or unfair treatment, I cannot recall one report where a coach, former or current teammate or even an "unnamed insider" has stuck up for JHS.

That alone speaks volumes that no one has gone to bat for him and backed his claims. Christopher Gibson, who is also multiracial, gave an interview in the Athletic around June 10th and noted he has been treated with nothing but respect in the Isles organization and has enjoyed his time with Bridgeport. JHS was referenced in the article and it looks like Gibson had nothing to add or substantiate Ho-Sang's claims.

I can't even recall reading an interview from Josh's father, a former tennis pro, speaking out about the treatment of his son. Maybe he has on social media, but I am not very active on that platform. To me, that says a lot that most of this mess is his own fault and poor choices.

Reactions: Hogan Shannon

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
I cant believe we're even having this discussion. JHS is immensely talented but he was on many teams DO NOT DRAFT list for a reason. He has repeatedly demonstrated those reasons in his tenure with the isles. Part of being a PROFESSIONAL, is not being an entitled little shit who thinks hes the next Mario Lemieux. Talent only gets you so far. Hard work and LISTENING get you farther. All he needed to do was go to BPT and play good hockey and he literally would have been back up in 2 weeks after being sent down, but he couldnt even do that correctly. He got many chances to show he was a PROFESSIONAL, but couldnt do it. It's called being a cancer in the locker room. I hope he grows up in Russia. I can tell you, they will not stand for his BS. He's in for a rude awakening.

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
Looks like he hasn’t signed with a KHL team yet and Staple is reporting that JHS agent told him that Isles intend to make him a qualifying offer.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Looks like he hasn’t signed with a KHL team yet and Staple is reporting that JHS agent told him that Isles intend to make him a qualifying offer.

Qualifying him doesn't do anything other than maintain his rights if he does leave I think. Many of us suggested Lamoriello do just that because there isn't much sense in letting a talented player walk away for free. What's the harm in holding his rights?

bstash19

Apr 8, 2012
long island
Qualifying him doesn't do anything other than maintain his rights if he does leave I think. Many of us suggested Lamoriello do just that because there isn't much sense in letting a talented player walk away for free. What's the harm in holding his rights?

lou is trolling us.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
I think the Isles are going to let MDC go and give JHS another shot in camp. We need offense, that's for sure. If JHS's attitude and work ethic has changed, then good for us.

Reactions: buud and Quicklime

Kauskey

Mar 16, 2007
I think the Isles are going to let MDC go and give JHS another shot in camp. We need offense, that's for sure. If JHS's attitude and work ethic has changed, then good for us.

Dal Colle's been serviceable as an extra forward who can slot into the bottom six, and he happens to be under contract next year. JHS is a headache, RFA, and he's requested a trade already. I think it's safe to say he's Europe bound.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Dal Colle's been serviceable as an extra forward who can slot into the bottom six, and he happens to be under contract next year. JHS is a headache, RFA, and he's requested a trade already. I think it's safe to say he's Europe bound.

I personally like MDC as a grinder. That said, I am pretty sure Lou is going to make him disappear.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I would be very happy if MDC could be a solid 12th/13th grinder at forward, while JHS came into camp, worked hard, won a spot and started paying dividends. It would make that draft a bit more palatable.

Of course this is the year 2020, so it is probably more likely a meteor strikes the earth, resulting in another ice age, or the kaiju monsters rise up and devour all life.

Isles Fan

Sep 12, 2006
This no talent stain has played his last game not only in a NYI uniform but in the NHL. Once he fails in the KHL its off to some other venture. Hockey is not his future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad