Player Discussion: Josh Ho-Sang 2018-19 Pt. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kvashin

Aug 14, 2005
If JHS clears, are there any circumstances where he can be recalled and not pass through waivers? Like an emergency callup? Or does every scenario of him being recalled allow a team a crack at claiming him. Thanks for any clarification.

QuadDeuces

Jul 16, 2006
Salt Lake City
If JHS clears, are there any circumstances where he can be recalled and not pass through waivers? Like an emergency callup? Or does every scenario of him being recalled allow a team a crack at claiming him. Thanks for any clarification.

Re-entry waivers no longer exist, so he could come back up with no waivers.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
The Hickey move is the most head scratching thing.
I didn't even think of sending him down, just wanted him gonna and figured we could get a late pick for him. Shows you what his value is, TBH.

Maybe, and I'm thinking way outside the box, Trotz and LL signed Hickey to a sweet deal (for him), but he was told that he was going to be given the jerk around, occasionally. He gets great money, most likely does not get claimed when waived, and the Isles can use him as a buffer for the kids coming up. He seems like a NYI heart-and-soul kinda guy, and I could see him in the organization, in some capacity, in a few years.

He is loyal and he works hard, I'll give him that.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
They're both fringe NHLers at this point. Neither has grabbed the bull by the horns and really taken control of the situation. Dal Colle has grasped the defensive stuff and position but hasn't shown anything offensively. That's a really big issue for someone who is supposed to be a natural goal scorer. Ho-Sang has gotten better defensively, he's not as good as Dal Colle, but he's definitely improved compared to where he was. His game is just more risky and he has the puck a lot more than Dal Colle does. He absolutely needs to continue to work on playing within the structure, but what he lacks in structure Dal Colle lacks in creativity and ability to do anything with the puck.
Yeah, but because Dal Colle buys into the "system" he is even now a PP player in the eyes of Trotz. Who cares whether we score on the PP right, its all about the system and defense.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I'll never understand the affinity for JHS. I mean, sure I loved the skill and flash from him when he first came in, but he does nothing with purpose. He really should have been a figure skater. Really don't understand how anybody can lament this. He got plenty of opportunities and he couldn't even tear it up in the AHL. Somebody claiming he really never got a chance, that's so silly. We should just give every schmo in the AHL doing very little a long look in the NHL....uh no.

Last edited:
Reactions: JT4President

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Yeah, but because Dal Colle buys into the "system" he is even now a PP player in the eyes of Trotz. Who cares whether we score on the PP right, its all about the system and defense.

I don't think Dal Colle is a PP player, only reason they used him there on Saturday was because Brassard was sick

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
I'll never understand the affinity for JHS. I mean, sure I loved the skill and flash from him when he first came in, but he does nothing with purpose. He really should have been a figure skater. Really don't understand how any but can lament this. He got plenty of opportunities and he couldn't even tear it up in the AHL. Somebody claiming he really never got a chance, that's so silly. We should just give every schmo in the AHL doing very little a long look in the NHL....uh no.
Funny I feel the same way about MDC as you feel about JHS except he doesn't or hasn't shown flash or skill that translates into NHL level consistency on offense. I also don't understand Trotz love affair with MDC. Players like him are a dime a dozen. At least Ho Sang is an elite skater.
What redeeming quality does MDC have?
His defense is overrated and he doesn't have the recovery speed needed to play special teams.
Also he doesn't create his own offense and his ability to score is severely hindered by his lack of skating.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
I don't think Dal Colle is a PP player, only reason they used him there on Saturday was because Brassard was sick
I guess you did not read the twitter updates from practice today. Dal Colle was still on the top PP unit with Brassard back at practice.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Funny I feel the same way about MDC as you feel about JHS except he doesn't or hasn't shown flash or skill that translates into NHL level consistency on offense. I also don't understand Trotz love affair with MDC. Players like him are a dime a dozen. At least Ho Sang is an elite skater.
His defense is overrated and he doesn't have the recovery speed needed to play special teams.
Also he doesn't create his own offense and his ability to score is severely hindered by his lack of skating.
Because he plays the Trotz system. The goal is to win every game 0-0 and get the extra point in the shootout. Who needs talented offensive players.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
We keep players who can do their job, but can't score. We send down the guy that can score, but can't do his job correctly... AcK!

On another note, I do not think he will get claimed. I think this was done strategically because Bartschi AND Goldobin have been waived...and these guys are more NHL proven than JHS..

Hickey has a better chance of getting picked up...my god..I can't believe we couldn't even get a draft pick for him. Montreal should be ALL over that.

Do not forget about Daniel Sprong also got waived today, another flashy hi-skilled player.

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
I'll never understand the affinity for JHS. I mean, sure I loved the skill and flash from him when he first came in, but he does nothing with purpose. He really should have been a figure skater. Really don't understand how any but can lament this. He got plenty of opportunities and he couldn't even tear it up in the AHL. Somebody claiming he really never got a chance, that's so silly. We should just give every schmo in the AHL doing very little a long look in the NHL....uh no.
I completely agree with your assessment. I really wanted him to make it but he could never quite put the cherry on top. You can have all the moves in the world but if you can't play within a structure and you can't put the puck in the net then there's little use for you at the NHL level.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

Hmmm

Player A: Can't play within a system. Has not dominated in the AHL or NHL. Reprimanded for behavior issues. Has top notch skating and play-making ability. Limited NHL success in a small sample size.

Player B: Can play within a system. Dominated the AHL for 1 season. No reprimands. Doesn't have anything particularly top notch about his play. Very little NHL success in a small sample size.

Seems like a no-brainer to me why the coach would choose player B. The only people that choose player A are the layman fan. You got your answer for redeeming qualities and while yes, those redeeming qualities are a dime a dozen, the non-redeeming qualities of player B are a quick ouster from the NHL level seen a dozen times a season. Not sure why it's difficult to comprehend. It's pretty clear.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
The difference between MDC and JHS besides JHS being a better skater and can carry the puck himself is that MDC does go to the Net & engage in battle there and now also plays hard on the board (which he did not do enough of before). He has become a Trotz type of player, if you watch who Trotz played on the Cap team and how they play in order to stay in the line-up, you will understand how much he values that. MDC also does not gamble as much, which is another plus for Trotz. Now about scoring goals, I believe that MDC is a more natural goal scorer from what I saw in the junior days and once he gains confidence, he will be able to contribute. As for skating, yes he can still improve but the fact Lee can score that many in NHL not being a good skater, I think goals are not always result of speed but more of being at the right place at the right time and willingness to fight off physical and stick checks to get in the scoring area or do enough to distract the goalie (without getting called) to allow someone else put the puck in.

Should JHS not be pick up on waivers by other teams, he is still young enough to improve in the area I mentioned above, just have to work hard on that in the AHL and do it consistently. He need to study how Skinner plays and try to incorporate that into his own game (Skinner is not a big guy but he is always willing to do the battle in front of the net). If JHS can master this part of the game, he can be a NHL player and able to stay in the line-up.

Also think that his talent is better suited on RW top 2 lines, not bottom 6. Once Isles signed Ebs, I think it is tough for him to make the line-up as right now Isles got more depth in RW and he not being able to PK makes tough for him to make the team. If one the top RW got hurt later this year, he likely will be called up if he does not get claimed tomorrow, as long as he does not give up on his NHL dream.

Reactions: BarzyClub

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
If Lou and/or Barry allowed Ho-Sang to leave in favor of Kuhnachl and Johnson I am pretty sure they have no intention on ever using him and I am guessing Ho- Sang is aware of this and if he clears I am guessing he is not going to report to the Bridge and I cant blame him.

Last edited:

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
If Lou and/or Barry allowed Ho-Sang to leave in favor of Kuhnachl and Johnson I am pretty sure they have no intention on ever using him to and I am guessing Ho- Sang is aware of this and if he clears I am guessing he is not going to report to the Bridge and I cant blame him.
Then that would be the end of his NHL career. If he doesn’t report to Bridgeport he will be suspended by the Islanders. He may as well keep going to Europe in that case.

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
I think Ho Sang has the mental maturity of a 12 yr old, IMO. His passive aggressive quotes about playing in the system, and then his preseason play on the ice was totally “see? No offense from me when I play your way”. He had his chances, didn’t capitalize. Valuable life’s lesson right there. When given an opportunity to do something you want, don’t **** it up. Really it’s his own doing (undoing?), not the fault of the Islanders.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
The difference between MDC and JHS besides JHS being a better skater and can carry the puck himself is that MDC does go to the Net & engage in battle there and now also plays hard on the board (which he did not do enough of before). He has become a Trotz type of player, if you watch who Trotz played on the Cap team and how they play in order to stay in the line-up, you will understand how much he values that. MDC also does not gamble as much, which is another plus for Trotz. Now about scoring goals, I believe that MDC is a more natural goal scorer from what I saw in the junior days and once he gains confidence, he will be able to contribute. As for skating, yes he can still improve but the fact Lee can score that many in NHL not being a good skater, I think goals are not always result of speed but more of being at the right place at the right time and willingness to fight off physical and stick checks to get in the scoring area or do enough to distract the goalie (without getting called) to allow someone else put the puck in.

Should JHS not be pick up on waivers by other teams, he is still young enough to improve in the area I mentioned above, just have to work hard on that in the AHL and do it consistently. He need to study how Skinner plays and try to incorporate that into his own game (Skinner is not a big guy but he is always willing to do the battle in front of the net). If JHS can master this part of the game, he can be a NHL player and able to stay in the line-up.

Also think that his talent is better suited on RW top 2 lines, not bottom 6. Once Isles signed Ebs, I think it is tough for him to make the line-up as right now Isles got more depth in RW and he not being able to PK makes tough for him to make the team. If one the top RW got hurt later this year, he likely will be called up if he does not get claimed tomorrow, as long as he does not give up on his NHL dream.

I think MDC still has the potential to almost be an Anders Lee lite. Also like you said he does the little things out on the ice. Personally I think you can stick him with Barzal/Ebs and he would excel around the net/corners/boards while those two go to the open ice.

JHS on the other hand. Has the talent to be so much more but doesn't put the work in to get better in all the other facets of the game like MDC.

Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.

Reactions: MattMartin

Disgraced Cosmonaut

Oct 26, 2002
Visit site
The issue I have with letting Josh go is that he’s a different type of player than the rest of the tweeners who stayed. Isles have a heavy redundancy of a “type.” I get that type’s up to BT, really, but having diversity of bench matters.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Unless fate deals him a a clean slate and second opportunity, Ho-Sang will end up Europe within a year or two. He will probably be a huge success in Sweden or Switzerland

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
The issue I have with letting Josh go is that he’s a different type of player than the rest of the tweeners who stayed. Isles have a heavy redundancy of a “type.” I get that type’s up to BT, really, but having diversity of bench matters.

By different type of player you mean something that others don't. If you can't show consistency at the NHL level you better be scoring 30 goals, like a Tony McKegney for those who remember back in the day. If you are not a goal scorer you better be a good fit for the system. He's NEITHER. You sound like Ho-Sang should be considered the Gold part of your investment portfolio.

Reactions: Costigan77
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad