Player Discussion: Josh Ho-Sang 2018-19 Pt. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
He and Dal Colle have taken the same amount of time to get to a very similar place. That's who he is competing against for a roster spot, and Kuhnhackl. I don't care how long it's taken him if he can help contribute now more than the other two that is all that should matter. Replace him when something better becomes available. Neither Dal Colle or Kuhnhackl possess the skill Ho-Sang does and the team needs more offense, so is it more likely that Ho-Sang will help in that area or the other two? The obvious answer is Ho-Sang. It could blow up and not work, but getting a Dal Colle or a Kuhnhackl is a heck of a lot easier than finding a player with Ho-Sang's talent level.

Nobody made that ride go because it was Filppula and Komarov, which was a fine defensive line, but for a team needing more offense I'll go with the guy who can actually create some and seems to have chemistry with our third line center.

Kuhnhackl certainly isn't going to improve at this point in his career and Dal Colle has struggled to create any kind offense though he does play a very safe game.

How do you reckon that? As a coach, you have to see that MDC has actually learned things, while JHS has only made, at the most, attitude changes. MDC has learned how to play the defensive system that Trotz has employed. JHS has not. MDC has done all the things asked of him. MDC has shown actual progress in what Trotz wanted him to work on. JHS actually had the bigger hill to climb because he not only needed to make lifestyle and attitude changes, he also had to learn the system that Trotz wants to employ. It's pretty obvious he's only done the former (and even that's a guess because we aren't privy to it). The latter he still hasn't grasped, and it's arguably the most important thing. I just don't know how anybody can say they are in a similar place. MDC looks like he's about to get legitimate 2nd line time with talented NHLers, whilst we don't even know if JHS is going to be on the roster.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
How do you reckon that? As a coach, you have to see that MDC has actually learned things, while JHS has only made, at the most, attitude changes. MDC has learned how to play the defensive system that Trotz has employed. JHS has not. MDC has done all the things asked of him. MDC has shown actual progress in what Trotz wanted him to work on. JHS actually had the bigger hill to climb because he not only needed to make lifestyle and attitude changes, he also had to learn the system that Trotz wants to employ. It's pretty obvious he's only done the former (and even that's a guess because we aren't privy to it). The latter he still hasn't grasped, and it's arguably the most important thing. I just don't know how anybody can say they are in a similar place. MDC looks like he's about to get legitimate 2nd line time with talented NHLers, whilst we don't even know if JHS is going to be on the roster.

They're both fringe NHLers at this point. Neither has grabbed the bull by the horns and really taken control of the situation. Dal Colle has grasped the defensive stuff and position but hasn't shown anything offensively. That's a really big issue for someone who is supposed to be a natural goal scorer. Ho-Sang has gotten better defensively, he's not as good as Dal Colle, but he's definitely improved compared to where he was. His game is just more risky and he has the puck a lot more than Dal Colle does. He absolutely needs to continue to work on playing within the structure, but what he lacks in structure Dal Colle lacks in creativity and ability to do anything with the puck.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
It looks like Nikolai Goldobin will not make the Canucks and will have to go thru waivers - when Vancouver does that - Isles will try to sneak Ho-Sang thru too.

Two late 1st round picks with a lot of flash and skill who have not been able to put it together

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
They're both fringe NHLers at this point. Neither has grabbed the bull by the horns and really taken control of the situation. Dal Colle has grasped the defensive stuff and position but hasn't shown anything offensively. That's a really big issue for someone who is supposed to be a natural goal scorer. Ho-Sang has gotten better defensively, he's not as good as Dal Colle, but he's definitely improved compared to where he was. His game is just more risky and he has the puck a lot more than Dal Colle does. He absolutely needs to continue to work on playing within the structure, but what he lacks in structure Dal Colle lacks in creativity and ability to do anything with the puck.

And in my opinion MDC hasn't been given the green light yet to start to take the risks that lead to creativity and therefore allowing him to use his natural talent. He needed to be taught something and the offense wasn't what they wanted from him (yet). I think he's going to get an opportunity now. I think he actually fits well with Nelson and Bailey because he's shown that he'll go to the net, cause traffic. He's become a less of a perimeter player and that might actually be a good change for him. His game is evolving, and while he is still a fringe NHLer, I still see the potential of him carving out a role and being effective. We'll see what we get, but this year will be a make or break for him.

Reactions: impaaaaaact

SI

Feb 16, 2013
It looks like Nikolai Goldobin will not make the Canucks and will have to go thru waivers - when Vancouver does that - Isles will try to sneak Ho-Sang thru too.

Two late 1st round picks with a lot of flash and skill who have not been able to put it together

Also John Quenneville, another 2014 #1 30 OA, was placed on waivers today.

2014 1st rounders
Scherback 26 OA - waived last season
Goldobin 27 OA - might be on waivers tomorrow
Ho-Sang 28 OA
Kempe 29 OA
Quenneville 30 OA - places on waivers today

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
And in my opinion MDC hasn't been given the green light yet to start to take the risks that lead to creativity and therefore allowing him to use his natural talent. He needed to be taught something and the offense wasn't what they wanted from him (yet). I think he's going to get an opportunity now. I think he actually fits well with Nelson and Bailey because he's shown that he'll go to the net, cause traffic. He's become a less of a perimeter player and that might actually be a good change for him. His game is evolving, and while he is still a fringe NHLer, I still see the potential of him carving out a role and being effective. We'll see what we get, but this year will be a make or break for him.

I could see that possibly being the case, it's just that Dal Colle doesn't appear to be a natural with the puck. We haven't seen him move through the neutral zone with it, deke anybody ever, use speed to go around anyone, or even just create separation to get his shot off while having it. A coach might be telling him to make safe plays and play within the structure, but his instinct would've or should've taken over at some point to show flashes of that offense and it hasn't happened. Hopefully he'll carve out a Lee-like role and become a great net presence.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I could see that possibly being the case, it's just that Dal Colle doesn't appear to be a natural with the puck. We haven't seen him move through the neutral zone with it, deke anybody ever, use speed to go around anyone, or even just create separation to get his shot off while having it. A coach might be telling him to make safe plays and play within the structure, but his instinct would've or should've taken over at some point to show flashes of that offense and it hasn't happened. Hopefully he'll carve out a Lee-like role and become a great net presence.
That's how he scored most of his power play goals in the AHL.

Dal Colle still doesn't have the wheels to power through to a high quality scoring chance, which is a shame because he has a decent shot and a big body. I don't think Trotz is waiting for MDC to master D zone coverage before he lets him start taking more chances, I think Trotz recognizes his limitations and has him playing within them. Michael Dal Colle is a low ceiling player in the NHL.

benedictTavares

JT's PJ's'
Jan 15, 2013
Scottsdale
giphy.gif

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
We keep players who can do their job, but can't score. We send down the guy that can score, but can't do his job correctly... AcK!

On another note, I do not think he will get claimed. I think this was done strategically because Bartschi AND Goldobin have been waived...and these guys are more NHL proven than JHS..

Hickey has a better chance of getting picked up...my god..I can't believe we couldn't even get a draft pick for him. Montreal should be ALL over that.

Reactions: LeapOnOver
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad