Player Discussion: Josh Ho-Sang 2018-19 Pt. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Is the next thing an inexorable and fanatical love for franks n' beans? Please tell me it is.
Okay, to be perfectly honest, I haven't actually seen the list. I was speculating. The franks n' beans thing may be on the list, but probably not top 5. Maybe we should have a separate thread with a poll?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
The JHS or MDC debate really comes down to what you're looking for in a player. There are some valid points as to why one is more preferable than the other, but there's really no right answer here.

However, Isles management is going to make the decision soon. At that point, the fate of the waived player will be in the hands of 29 other NHL teams.

This is correct, and I assume the Lamoriello will have a Charlie Day style wall with every team's roster, needs, and waiver fodder to figure out which piece will make it through to Bridgeport safely.

One reason might be that JHS has had five years to prove himself, ND has had two weeks and has already shown improvement. JHS looks like the same player he has always been, two steps forward, two steps back.

Why should the organization care whether it's taken two weeks or five years, if a player is going to help the team win and contribute now then that is all that should matter. He's not the same player he was when he first came up.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
This is correct, and I assume the Lamoriello will have a Charlie Day style wall with every team's roster, needs, and waiver fodder to figure out which piece will make it through to Bridgeport safely.

Why should the organization care whether it's taken two weeks or five years, if a player is going to help the team win and contribute now then that is all that should matter. He's not the same player he was when he first came up.
If it has taken him 5 years to get to where he is, which is unproven, only marginally better and borderline, they should care because it suggests that his ability to learn and to adapt to the NHL game is poor. Beyond that, the assumption that he is going to help the team win is based on what exactly? A 9-1 streak last year in which he contributed a whopping 2 pts? He was along for the ride, not making the ride go.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
If it has taken him 5 years to get to where he is, which is unproven, only marginally better and borderline, they should care because it suggests that his ability to learn and to adapt to the NHL game is poor.

He and Dal Colle have taken the same amount of time to get to a very similar place. That's who he is competing against for a roster spot, and Kuhnhackl. I don't care how long it's taken him if he can help contribute now more than the other two that is all that should matter. Replace him when something better becomes available. Neither Dal Colle or Kuhnhackl possess the skill Ho-Sang does and the team needs more offense, so is it more likely that Ho-Sang will help in that area or the other two? The obvious answer is Ho-Sang. It could blow up and not work, but getting a Dal Colle or a Kuhnhackl is a heck of a lot easier than finding a player with Ho-Sang's talent level.

Beyond that, the assumption that he is going to help the team win is based on what exactly? A 9-1 streak last year in which he contributed a whopping 2 pts? He was along for the ride, not making the ride go.

Nobody made that ride go because it was Filppula and Komarov, which was a fine defensive line, but for a team needing more offense I'll go with the guy who can actually create some and seems to have chemistry with our third line center.

Kuhnhackl certainly isn't going to improve at this point in his career and Dal Colle has struggled to create any kind offense though he does play a very safe game.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

Apparently it doesn't matter because the Islanders re-signed him instead of just letting him move on. So Lou must recognize that JHS has something of value to offer the team. Lou also recognized that Ho-Sang may need a different type of motivation so he offered him a 2 way deal that only pays him $70,000 in the AHL.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
He and Dal Colle have taken the same amount of time to get to a very similar place. That's who he is competing against for a roster spot, and Kuhnhackl. I don't care how long it's taken him if he can help contribute now more than the other two that is all that should matter. Replace him when something better becomes available. Neither Dal Colle or Kuhnhackl possess the skill Ho-Sang does and the team needs more offense, so is it more likely that Ho-Sang will help in that area or the other two? The obvious answer is Ho-Sang. It could blow up and not work, but getting a Dal Colle or a Kuhnhackl is a heck of a lot easier than finding a player with Ho-Sang's talent level.

Nobody made that ride go because it was Filppula and Komarov, which was a fine defensive line, but for a team needing more offense I'll go with the guy who can actually create some and seems to have chemistry with our third line center.

Kuhnhackl certainly isn't going to improve at this point in his career and Dal Colle has struggled to create any kind offense though he does play a very safe game.
Listen, we can go on all day. Your point about JHS possibly being the best of three so-so choices is a fair one, though again, my assessment for the purposes of this discussion were not about relative value, but judging, on it's own, his personal progression to date. In any event, let the best man win the job (I will trust in BT's choice, whatever it is) and LGI.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Listen, we can go on all day. Your point about JHS possibly being the best of three so-so choices is a fair one, though again, my assessment for the purposes of this discussion were not about relative value, but judging, on it's own, his personal progression to date. In any event, let the best man win the job (I will trust in BT's choice, whatever it is) and LGI.

If Ho-Sang is the best choice for something that's apparently necessary (which is arguable) then the team needs to prioritize getting a better choice. This choice stinks.

If he were traded or waived because a better replacement is coming in, I'd be all for it. We'll see what way Lamoriello and Trotz want to lean to open the season. It could be status quo while Lamoriello looks for help elsewhere.

Reactions: dood

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
If Ho-Sang is the best choice for something that's apparently necessary (which is arguable) then the team needs to prioritize getting a better choice. This choice stinks.
That's why if Wahlstrom beats Ho-Sang out for the last spot, it will be because of talent and performance. Nobody should complain about that.

Reactions: dood

PuckItUp27

Sep 26, 2017
Dal Colle and Kuhnackl aren't defensive liabilities like Ho Sang.

How many turnovers did JHS have the other night? 6? 7?

How many on the PP to lose the puck out of the zone? 2 or 3?

He has not progressed in ANY way since he came into the league.

And his offense is also non existent...both in the NHL and AHL. A 10 goal 30 point forward is not worth 5-10 turnovers a game.

Would I like a guy like Wahlstrom or Jobst to get that last spot over Kuhn/MDC? Sure..but that's not how it works with waivers.

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005
From today's practice, MDC is lining with Bailey and Nelson. AB and Komorov are with Brassard. JHS is getting waived and Wahlstrom is being sent to AHL.

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005
No, Ho-Sang was on a line with Wahlstrom and Holmstrom so he's speculating.

Correct. I'm speculating, but it's pretty clear. Season is about to start. The forward lines above are what we will see opening night. Also worth noting Boychuk - Hickey paired together as the 7-8 D pairing.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I wonder what lineup we see Saturday.

Do we see both Kuhnackl, Ho-Sang and Dal Colle?

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Correct. I'm speculating, but it's pretty clear. Season is about to start. The forward lines above are what we will see opening night. Also worth noting Boychuk - Hickey paired together as the 7-8 D pairing.

But there's still one pre-season game left to go. Maybe those lines are what we see on Saturday night? MDC and Dobson get one more opportunity to show what they can do. Wahlstrom is definitely going down though.

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
It's speculation to assume that these lines are final, especially with the bubble guys. Boychuk is still owed a lot of money, has a huge cap hit, and played well for us next year. We're really going to assume he's on the bench because he was in the "4th pairing" during a practice a week before the season starts?

Reactions: crasherino

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
It's speculation to assume that these lines are final, especially with the bubble guys. Boychuk is still owed a lot of money, has a huge cap hit, and played well for us next year. We're really going to assume he's on the bench because he was in the "4th pairing" during a practice a week before the season starts?
Boychuk will NOT be a 4th pairing. Anyone who things that is out to lunch. He'll get 20 minutes of ice time per game.

Reactions: Capt Obvious

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005

All I said was that it is worth noting. Unless we make a trade, we have 8 D. Hickey + someone else is going to be sitting.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
That's why if Wahlstrom beats Ho-Sang out for the last spot, it will be because of talent and performance. Nobody should complain about that.
It will definitely be because of talent and performance - no dispute there. But I simply can't get behind it at this point as its not good roster management. Wahlstrom going to Bridgeport to start the season isn't like sending Dobson back to Juniors. Wahlstrom can come back at any time. In my mind, OW had to play on such a high level that sending him to BP would be absurd. While I think he acquitted himself well, he didn't have that no questions asked/transcedent performance that mandates him making the team. He would benefit from skating in BP for a while, IMO and as far as roster management goes, it doesn't make sense to risk losing a veteran at this point just so we can elevate OW to the big club at the outset of the season. There's no reason for it at this point. If need be, we can do it at anytime post season opener.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad