Player Discussion: Josh Ho-Sang 2018-19 Pt. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
I guess everyone "has it out for him."

I highly doubt Brent Thompson or anyone in the organization has it out for him...

There may be no one in the organization that can connect with him or get through to him, but to have it out for him aka want him to fail is a ridiculous statement in my opinion

It's not out of the question. He is his own worst enemy and by far the first perosn to blame for his lack of success and opportunity. My point stands. There are 2 options:

1. Isles have given up on the idea of him being a part of our future. If this is the case, the best course of action would be to do everything you can to maximize his trade value. I think scratching him brings his value lower by the day.

2. Isles are still holding out hope that he can find a way to resolve his personal issues and become a contributing player on and off the ice first in Bridgeport and eventually here. In this cae, I guess scratching him makes sense if he is still making the mistakes he's become infamous for over the past few years. I just find this scenario unliekly. It seems like Isles brass has moved on. I support the move and trust the staff if this is their thought process. If option 1 is closer to the truth, then I think the decision is a dumb one. Give him 1st line time in the AHL and PP time, hope he can turn into a PPG player down there so he can actually be a valuable sweetener in a deal or he can be flipped for another "cange of scenary" type player.

Reactions: Costigan77

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
Because draft picks each have different value and Dal Colle was the 5th overall pick, not a late first. Shocking concept. Snow had much worse busts typically more worthy of mentioning than Hosang.

But he is a bust? Right? They traded two second rounders for him.
You’re argument is bunk. Barzal was a mid round pick. You don’t think that Bruin fans and oilers fans are furious?

Pastarnik was picked 2 spots in front of Ho-sang. That’s just luck? Wouldn’t a 2020 3rd have sweetened the pot to get Boston’s pick?

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Any chance we can "trade" him to CSKA Moskva, who then releases Ilya Sorokin from his contract a year early?

The Isles get Sorokin to come over to the NHL, CSKA gets a "dynamic playmaker" and JHS gets to start over.

And, over in the KHL, maybe people won't realize he is an issue (defensive liability at times) or understand if he is complaining.

That is a win-win-win in my book, lol. ;)

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
You’re argument is bunk. Barzal was a mid round pick. You don’t think that Bruin fans and oilers fans are furious?

Pastarnik was picked 2 spots in front of Ho-sang. That’s just luck? Wouldn’t a 2020 3rd have sweetened the pot to get Boston’s pick?

I think it's still too early to call him a bust. He was a home run swing and everyone knew it at the time. Dal Colle was the consensus pick and has two goals in his NHL career, so he's a "bust" based off of where he was picked and the expectations that were on him (I still think he'll carve out a career as a third liner at worst). Ho-Sang has 24 points in 53 games in the NHL, he just can't stick for whatever reason right now.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Yes, but the other question is...The Isles will certainly be signing/trading a lot of players over the coming months and could come up against the 50 contract limit. That also could be a factor in non retaining Ho-Sang.

If the team is up against the contract limit, whatever, but I doubt that'll be the case.

Spybot

May 12, 2014

What argument?:laugh: Do you not agree that draft picks have different values and the worse busts are more likely to be talked about? The Bruins and Oilers fans are probably furious because istead of drafting the player that was way overdue to be drafted, they traded/reached for someone else. Pastrnak was picked around where people expected him to be picked so he's not really a comparable to Barzal (or Hosang) anyway.

But regardless, both were massive, unlikely wins. Are you usually furious when you don't win the lottery? A late first typically ends up as a plugger or a bust. There's more expectations to become a useful player from a 5th overall.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I think it's still too early to call him a bust. He was a home run swing and everyone knew it at the time. Dal Colle was the consensus pick and has two goals in his NHL career, so he's a "bust" based off of where he was picked and the expectations that were on him (I still think he'll carve out a career as a third liner at worst). Ho-Sang has 24 points in 53 games in the NHL, he just can't stick for whatever reason right now.
Sadly the reason he can’t stick is coachability.

Reactions: bigtim1988

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
It's clear JHS has his problems and he may never overcome them enough to be a successful NHL player. With that, isn't it also obvious that Brent Thompson just has it out for him? Not sure the backstory behind whatever is going on, but he needs to eb out there. Even if the Isles have no interest in ever making him a part of their team, they're foolish not to be doing anything they can to help his trade valuue, no?

Player could be an absolute cancern but I'd have him out there every night because right now is value is a fat ZERO and it's a mistake not to do everything you can to increase that. Unless the Isles still see him as a part of their future core (which I doubt,) then they're wastignt heir time and effort and whatever remains of this asset's value to teach him a damn lesson.
he should have been fired after he called him a "baby" last year, it is obvious there are those in the organization and among the fans who have it out for him

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
he should have been fired after he called him a "baby" last year, it is obvious there are those in the organization and among the fans who have it out for him
Yep. There’s a conspiracy against Ho Sang and the entire hockey world and fans are in on it.

Reactions: nyisles

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
Why when we talk Garth’s bust picks, this one is never included? This kid was a first round pick. Later yes. But still a first. Dal Colle is showing signs of life and maturity. Why is there different standards being held by some?
bust? guy is a newly turned 23 year old and looked very good at times in his brief call up on the team and he is a bust? as said there are those who definitely want to see him fail for whatever reason

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
bust? guy is a newly turned 23 year old and looked very good at times in his brief call up on the team and he is a bust? as said there are those who definitely want to see him fail for whatever reason
When you write that there are Isles fans who want to see JHS fail you lose all credibility. Not one of us, including those who have been critical of him, and certainly not LL, who is making the ultimate decisions, wants to see a potentially valuable asset of the organization "fail". Every one of us who buy tickets, buy sweaters, spend a ton of money and time devoting ourselves to this team in a 100 different ways would love to see JHS contributing on a Cup contending Isles team. EVERY ONE OF US. That he isn't, and the reasons why he isn't, is not something any of us have a knowledgeable answer for and can only speculate about, especially now that LL is here since he had no history with him. But we do know this, LL is about one thing; winning, and if he thought JHS could help this team do that while playing within the structure BT has laid out, he'd be on the club.

"......want to see him fail for whatever reason." As ridiculous as it gets.

Last edited:

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
what did he do that he conducted himself like a grade school child?

I'll take Thompsons word for it - It is obvious he can't follow simple instructions, which is why he couldn't stick in the NHL. It's also why he fell to 28th OA despite having a stronger skillset then many drafted before him. If you haven't heard of his lack of maturity, I have no idea what prospect you've been following.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
JHS is an RFA after this year. If I did my math right he's going to be owed a QO of about $950,000. Certainly not much to keep his rights, but Lou has to be looking to deal him. If he cannot, the Isles seriously might not qualify him thus making him a FA.
I've been a pretty big defender of his but I wouldn't be surprised if this happens and it's prob for the better. Wouldn't be surprised if he asks to bail either.

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
Literally everyone not affiliated with the Isles had a vocal problem about him wearing #66. No one is suggesting a conspiracy. People are suggesting that there are some that don't like his antics and are going to hold him to a higher standard because of it. This does not seem like a conspiracy or far fetched at all to me. I am far from a relentless JHS fanboy, but evidence suggests it is POSSIBLE that he is held to a different standard than others, and quite possibly for good reason. No clue how this is perceived as a radical or polarizing observation.

Reactions: bigtim1988

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Context is key. He was referring to his age, that he's young, not that he's a whiner or anything else.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Context is key. He was referring to his age, that he's young, not that he's a whiner or anything else.

FALSE.

“He’s a baby, he’s immature and he’s got a lot of growing to do. I’m excited. The upside of him is outstanding. He worked hard today, he’s been working really hard. We all make mistakes, we all have bad games. It’s how do we respond from those and what do we learn from them? Every piece of this season for Josh, with us, is a development piece."

If he was simply referencing age, then Bellows and many others would also be babies. JHS was called out due to his lack of maturity.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
FALSE.

“He’s a baby, he’s immature and he’s got a lot of growing to do. I’m excited. The upside of him is outstanding. He worked hard today, he’s been working really hard. We all make mistakes, we all have bad games. It’s how do we respond from those and what do we learn from them? Every piece of this season for Josh, with us, is a development piece."

If he was simply referencing age, then Bellows and many others would also be babies. JHS was called out due to his lack of maturity.

My mistake then. Though, I do think it could still be referring to his age here. Is there a video of the quote? I thought there was.

"He's [young], he's immature and he's got a lot of growing to do."

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
if Ho-Sang is given a chance I am confident he is going to turn into a solid middle six winger, and if/when that happens I am hoping no one is going to say "oh well he never would have done that here" because it is on the management who screwed him over

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
if Ho-Sang is given a chance I am confident he is going to turn into a solid middle six winger, and if/when that happens I am hoping no one is going to say "oh well he never would have done that here" because it is on the management who screwed him over

Management didn't tell him to oversleep, to not shoot, to not play hard, to not play defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad