Rumor: Josh Gorges (Possibly being traded some time soon)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Bergevin won't admit defeat on those two terrible deals. Emelin is better trade bait than Gorges, both for the Habs' lockeroom and for value. We'd need to find another hitter but Gorges is effectively twice the d-man Emelin is.

Emelin came back from a terrible injury. Let's wait a little this year to have a final say on Emelin.

FlyingKostitsyn

Mar 7, 2008
Quebec
Is there any credibility with Gorges to Toronto rumors? I mean we know he doesn't want to go there.

Gorges by Toronto standards is a no1 defensemen, it was clear their media and fans were going to go insane as soon as there was a rumor he was available. Toronto is like MTL, say a player is available and there'll be a rumor about it.

Whitesnake said:
Emelin came back from a terrible injury. Let's wait a little this year to have a final say on Emelin.

Gorges played better than Emelin last year but Emelin has a lot more potential. He's very strong and has better puck skills, he'll be fine.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Exactly. The Habs' second power play unit was abysmal, especially on the blueline. I don't ever want to see gorges or Bouillon on a PP again.

Tinordi is ready to eat up a lot of those PK minutes Gorges provided IMO. He'll provide more size and physical presence.

My take is that Bergy is looking for a dman that can play on the second PP unit with Beaulieu...and Tinordi will replace Gorge's minutes on the PK and in shutdown situations nursing a lead. Whichever of the three is playing best 5-on-5 will be paired with PK on regular shifts. Presumably it will be the dman he picks up for now that will play in the top four..eventually Nate and Tin work their way up as theyre ready.

What are your thoughts on Nygren for the upcoming year? Do you think he can step in and contribute for us, or is he likely traded/sent back to Sweden?

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
This isn't the first time this happens though. I'm sure Neal was shocked to be traded from a tight knit groups in Pittsburgh to an offensively challenged group in Nashville. Players get traded all the time, and rarely do they request it. Only in MTL is there such a ****show for a bottom pairing dman. At the end of the season, most of us understood that Habs should be looking to move Gorges' contract. All of a sudden now, its a tragedy. Gorges played his heart out for this team. So did Hal Gill. So did Erik Cole, who was devastated when he left. At the end of the day though, I rather have a PMD on our backend as opposed to a guy who doesn't contribute to our offence much and struggles (yes struggles) in his own zone, even though that should be his 'bread and butter'.
Absolutely 100% right on. Amen!

Markov4Captain

Dec 29, 2009
Montreal, QC
It's bad because the Habs tried to force him to go to a team they knew he didn't want to be traded to. That's what terrible management groups do.

That's simply not true. Gorges signed his contract while old management was still in power. The 15 teams he put down as possible destinations may have drastically changed through the years. For instance, Colorado may have not been an ideal candidate for a player when they had Sacco as a coach as bottom dwellers in the league. Yet right now, they're a strong, young and up and coming team that could potentially attract more free agents. Bergevin is doing his job by asking Gorges, because you don't know, maybe he had a change of heart about Toronto. MB is exploring all his options, and Im sure the deal from Toronto was pretty good for him to do such a thing. We try to base our judgement when we don't know the whole story, when in reality, MB probably has bits of info that pushed him to do this.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I do not get the "Habs are really interested in Boyle" reason why we'd move Gorges....I mean...fine. We're also interested in Crosby, Malkin and Shea Weber. Why is being interested enough to make a deal? Either it has nothing to do with it. Either "Really interested" means "We have a deal in principle in place".

HabsHockey*

Emelin got signed while he was injured which made no sense from the get go. Contracts and Bergevin aren't going hand in hand right now.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Omg, I understand that the Gorges contact is bad, but I hope we're going to receive something interesting for him...

Probably not. Gorges tanked his own value crying to the media before even being traded. No teams are going to want a player who will throw them under the bus while still employed with them.

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
Did Neal have a NTC? Didn't think so. You can't get mad at a player for using something that's part of his contract.

People here are acting like anyone who dares use their NTC is a selfish *******

Reminds me of leaf fans ******** on Sundin for not taking a trade. Disgusting behavior.

FinnHab

May 24, 2006
overseas...
Gorges reaction to trade news:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=456076
Montreal Canadiens defenceman Josh Gorges expressed his shock and disappointment on Monday with the news that the team is trying to trade him.

TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie reports that Gorges, who has played eight seasons with the Canadiens, is on the trade block after the club asked him to waive his no-trade clause to facilitate a deal with the Toronto Maple Leafs.

"I want people to know that I never wanted to leave Montreal," he said in interviews with Dave Stubbs of The Montreal Gazette and J-F Chaumont of Le Journal de Montreal on Monday. "I have never asked for a trade - this is (general manager) Marc Bergevin's call. I am in shock."

If they trade Gorges away and Franky Bouillon get new contract, i will go ape sh***:help:

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
It's bad because the Habs tried to force him to go to a team they knew he didn't want to be traded to. That's what terrible management groups do.

No, just no.

The habs wanted to trade Gorges, they didn't want to keep him. They wanted to go in another direction.

When faced with a possibility to make that happen they went to Gorges and asked him if he was open to it. A NTC only means they have to ask before making the deal. You're trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill here. Big drama concerning a very average player, just not worth it at all.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
Not sure about being less gritty than Gorges. He had 282 hits last year to Gorges' 97 and plays the boards well IMO. If i had to choose between the 2 for a 5-6 role or even a 3-4 role, I'd take Franson.

Yeah..Franson is underrated. I would say Gorges is more gritty, but not more physical..if you get my meaning. Gorges will block a shot with his face without hesitation...all guts. That kind of gritty.

Beatnik

Sep 2, 2002
Québec
Visit site
I do not get the "Habs are really interested in Boyle" reason why we'd move Gorges....I mean...fine. We're also interested in Crosby, Malkin and Shea Weber. Why is being interested enough to make a deal? Either it has nothing to do with it. Either "Really interested" means "We have a deal in principle in place".

The only reason I can think of to trade Gorges is if he have very good value around the league. A case of selling high.

If the return is someone like Franson or Boyle, the only justification is because it fits needs. Like when Québec gave Sundin for Wendle Clark because they needed characther (not as bad but you see the point)

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
Franson is terrible, I'd rather waive Gorges than trading him for a pile of crap. That or, you know, keep him.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
If this hoopla is for Dan Boyle, then mgmt is dumb as ****. Maybe 5 years ago, but Dan has one foot in retirement and the other barely hanging on the ice. I'd be ecstatic if they go after Ehrhoff though.

Dan Boyle is still a good GM and would be a short term with Beaulieu eventually taking over. He's an upgrade over Gorges no matter what.

In any event, we need to upgrade our top 4, so I don't understand the outcry here. If we get worse, than okay, but we don't know the return.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If Gorges is "in shock", he should be looking for another line of work.

This should come as no surprise. The only objectionable thing that I can see is how this is being played out publicly, how private discussions are being leaked, especially how some of the alleged antagonism is being painted from both sides.

I agree that if MB wants Gorges out this badly, there has to be a plum deal that is hanging in the balance.

FlyingKostitsyn

Mar 7, 2008
Quebec
Its too bad he wasn't traded to Toronto. They likely would have sent us a choice of Rielly or Gardiner and a first for him. Or maybe Kadri and a prospect of our choice... Only to buy out Gorges' contract next season.

Oh Leafs, never change.

Kafka

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
I first thought the trade would be to allow Toronto to dump a salary (Lupul or JVR), but it is apparently Montreal who would be dropping a salary here. I really wonder now who is that "roster player" going the other way. Holland? Ashton? It has to be a forward...

CanadiensforLife

Sep 11, 2010
Montreal
May be wrong thread but we just got Parenteau for Briere.

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle · 1m
Montreal lands PA Parenteau for Danny Briere. Good trade for Habs

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006

I still can't believe how many people forget this. He missed training camp and played banged-up in the playoffs.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I still can't believe how many people forget this. He missed training camp and played banged-up in the playoffs.

No, I totally understand it. The concern here is that Gorges is an effective defensive performer and Emelin hasn't been.

We can't rely on hope and prayers that Emelin can step up into Gorges' role. Also, who can we sign that can bring a consistent level of performance and leadership at around 3-4m?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad