Rumor: Josh Gorges (Possibly being traded some time soon)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
This isn't the first time this happens though. I'm sure Neal was shocked to be traded from a tight knit groups in Pittsburgh to an offensively challenged group in Nashville. Players get traded all the time, and rarely do they request it. Only in MTL is there such a ****show for a bottom pairing dman. At the end of the season, most of us understood that Habs should be looking to move Gorges' contract. All of a sudden now, its a tragedy. Gorges played his heart out for this team. So did Hal Gill. So did Erik Cole, who was devastated when he left. At the end of the day though, I rather have a PMD on our backend as opposed to a guy who doesn't contribute to our offence much and struggles (yes struggles) in his own zone, even though that should be his 'bread and butter'.

It's bad because the Habs tried to force him to go to a team they knew he didn't want to be traded to. That's what terrible management groups do.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Woh..some of you should detect some sarcasm on here! Do you really think that proposal was serious haha ;)

Especially when we all know that Bergevin loves bridge deals!
Fair enough.. sorry man. But you can't blame me... if you saw some of the proposals Habs fans make.. you'd understand. :laugh:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I'm inclined to disagree. Gorges is a consummate professional who has ALWAYS been media available, after blowouts, after losing streaks... all the time.

I don't see the professionnalism in the "What have I done to deserve this" type of comments. You did nothing wrong Josh. It's hockey. Trades happen. Unless his reaction is..."Do you hate me that much to trade me to Toronto...", that....I can't disagree. :D

Kenny Powders

Apr 6, 2005
Laval
It's bad because the Habs tried to force him to go to a team they knew he didn't want to be traded to. That's what terrible management groups do.

dude you can't be serious!

Poor little boy is getting traded where he doesnt want to.. Boo ****ing hoo.

Plenty of players get traded where they dont want, ask Neal if he's happy to be in Nashville..

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Can,t wait for the deal with Emelin and Desharnais....:sarcasm:

All great to fix the D and we have to do that. I guess one thing at time....but we ALSO need to fix the centerman line. Might as well do it to Pleks too then....

Bergevin won't admit defeat on those two terrible deals. Emelin is better trade bait than Gorges, both for the Habs' lockeroom and for value. We'd need to find another hitter but Gorges is effectively twice the d-man Emelin is.

Dec 2, 2010
If this hoopla is for Dan Boyle, then mgmt is dumb as ****. Maybe 5 years ago, but Dan has one foot in retirement and the other barely hanging on the ice. I'd be ecstatic if they go after Ehrhoff though.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
If it's for crap like locals Patenteau or Burrows im gonna ****ing snap.

btw way to make you goalie angry MB, Gorges is Price buddy.

Markov4Captain

Dec 29, 2009
Montreal, QC
We complain that we can't generate anything from the backend, yet criticize Bergevin when he tries to bring in a puck moving defenseman.

We complain that we should give a shot to Tinordi and Beaulieu yet criticize Bergevin when he tries to make room for them.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
Habs have a problem SCORING GOALS. I don't blame Bergevin for trying to add more puck moving defensemen. Relying solely on Subban is a recipe for disaster.

Exactly. The Habs' second power play unit was abysmal, especially on the blueline. I don't ever want to see gorges or Bouillon on a PP again.

Tinordi is ready to eat up a lot of those PK minutes Gorges provided IMO. He'll provide more size and physical presence.

My take is that Bergy is looking for a dman that can play on the second PP unit with Beaulieu...and Tinordi will replace Gorge's minutes on the PK and in shutdown situations nursing a lead. Whichever of the three is playing best 5-on-5 will be paired with PK on regular shifts. Presumably it will be the dman he picks up for now that will play in the top four..eventually Nate and Tin work their way up as theyre ready.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Dave Stubbs
#Habs Gorges to me now: "I want people to know that I never wanted to leave Montreal. In no way has this been mydecision."

Heartbreaking really... Always liked josh but with the contract the way it is and with bergevin seeming to have something planned.. He really does have to go.. Would hate to see a maple leafs jersey on him .. Hell lot I thought he was gonna be freaking captain next year lol.. It'll clearly be plekanec now

Should be interesting how this all turns out... Tomorrows gonna be fun

But josh doesn't wanna leave mtl and his buddy price.. Too bad lol

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

All depends how it was done. Josh signed a contract how many years ago which he gave a list. I personnally don't know that info...but is that list reviewed every year? People can change opinions. So if Bergevin goes to Gorges with the "I have a trade to Toronto....I know they are not on your list but are you now okay to go there..", I don't think it's that bad. But if it's YOU ARE TRADED to Toronto....you only need to sign here and here and here....then, it's another thing.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
dude you can't be serious!

Poor little boy is getting traded where he doesnt want to.. Boo ****ing hoo.

Plenty of players get traded where they dont want, ask Neal if he's happy to be in Nashville..

Did Neal have a NTC? Didn't think so. You can't get mad at a player for using something that's part of his contract.

People here are acting like anyone who dares use their NTC is a selfish *******

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I don't see the professionnalism in the "What have I done to deserve this" type of comments. You did nothing wrong Josh. It's hockey. Trades happen. Unless his reaction is..."Do you hate me that much to trade me to Toronto...", that....I can't disagree. :D

The attitude is acceptable man. He didn't think he'd get dealt, so he's surprised. He's not calling anyone out, or suggesting they have issues like Don Maloney did about Ribeiro.

Not you, but some people REALLY like to defend management at all costs, all the time. Just how it is.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
This isn't the first time this happens though. I'm sure Neal was shocked to be traded from a tight knit groups in Pittsburgh to an offensively challenged group in Nashville. Players get traded all the time, and rarely do they request it. Only in MTL is there such a ****show for a bottom pairing dman. At the end of the season, most of us understood that Habs should be looking to move Gorges' contract. All of a sudden now, its a tragedy. Gorges played his heart out for this team. So did Hal Gill. So did Erik Cole, who was devastated when he left. At the end of the day though, I rather have a PMD on our backend as opposed to a guy who doesn't contribute to our offence much and struggles (yes struggles) in his own zone, even though that should be his 'bread and butter'.

Neal was part of a team that was supposed to go to the finals and lost in the second round, they fired their coach and GM so clearly changes were coming to that team which I'm sure all the players' realized.

Gorges contributed a lot to a team that was just 2 games away from the finals and seemed to be well respected and liked in the dressing room.

These are two totally different cases, my point is obviously the guy is upset as he likely thought he was going to be a part of this team going forward (and possibly even captain with Gionta gone) and probably didn't see this coming up until the last couple of days. I don't have a problem with trading him to improve our team, I just don't get why people are *****ing about the guy being upset about getting traded. Yes it is a business, but Gorges clearly loved playing here so you can't blame him for being upset.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Dealing with Toronto means that an assortment of Leaf media friends, including McKenzie, get information that may not otherwise have leaked out. Toronto also gets to withhold certain information, namely in terms of player(s) involved on their end, all conceivably as part of the favor for divulging their interest in Gorges and their attempt to get him.

Other thing that strikes me is why would the Habs continue to entertain a trade request from Toronna, when Gorges clearly doesn't want to go there and/or is rightfully enforcing the NTC clause that prevents him from being traded there.

If Gorges has the type of value that some of here are ascribing to him, would he not have had more suitors than just the one team that happens to be in the Habs division and blocked by the NTC? Unless the other teams are just waiting for this to play itself out, call Bergevin's bluff about making Gorges a free agent and then sign him for nothing. How bad are the offers from the 15 teams that Gorges favors, that the Habs find themselves negotiating with the Laffs? Or how insignificant or non-existent are they?

There has to be a lot more than this, that McKenzie is not privy to, so overly focusing on what Toronto might do, is kind of irrelevant -- if the reports we have so far are true, the ball was never in their court.

If MB now needs to make room so badly in order to sign some other player he covets, then it makes that Brière signing from last year, all the more detrimental, especially that a NMC/NTC was granted to essentially a 4th line player near the end of his rope.

Kind of ironic to see how Gorges' name is made the object of this type of drama -- Gorges reminds of the management guy/team leader who was pontificating in the conference room 15 minutes before, only to find out that he's been canned and now is just some guy filling out the dreaded cardboard box with his personal effects at his desk, with the company's security guard looking over his shoulder to make sure he doesn't steal anything on the way out.

I wish this could have been handled differently and in a more private, dignified matter, however, there appears to be a battle at wills at play and the Habs' best interests have to take precedence over whatever Gorges' camp may be trying to use to fend off MB.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Never been a fan of Gorges but he didn't deserve this. Maybe it's business, but rarely you see a transfer rumor being leaked publicly in great details such as this one. Feel bad for him, he gave everything he had for this team and he'll probably leave with a very bad taste towards management.

HaZiKaN

Apr 29, 2009
Quebec
Omg, I understand that the Gorges contact is bad, but I hope we're going to receive something interesting for him...

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
I'm inclined to disagree. Gorges is a consummate professional who has ALWAYS been media available, after blowouts, after losing streaks... all the time.

He's allowed to comment candidly about anything he wants - and he didn't leak it, Bob Mac that fat **** did.

I see Bergevin's plan, replace long term deals with short ones, but I'm curious what we're getting in return.

:laugh:

Bob Mac y u do dis

HabsHockey*

Ya, it's almost like he has some sort of limited NTC in his professional hockey contract... that he is going expand the teams in it so that the Habs don't have to put him on waivers and actually get something in return instead of nothing. What an Ahole this guy Josh is.

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
We don't know for how much of the time and to what extent Emelin was injured in the playoffs.

I want to see a fully healthy Emelin before giving up on him.

Emelin's just not a very good hockey player besides his body checks here and there. If Gorges is not worth his contract, Emelin's takes on the semblance of a mini-albatross. No hockey IQ whatsoever. But hey, Bergevin obviously doesn't want to open that can of worms seeing as there is a much safer and easier alternative that doesn't open his general manager abilities up to serious criticism. Politics at play here, pure and simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia