Prospect Info: Josh Brook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
not really, he's still one of the best players from the 2012 draft imo although I haven't seen him this year so don't know why he seems to be struggling to score goals.

Brook is certainly quicker, better skater and more mobile, by a fair bit on all counts imo. Brook's best assets are his puck rushing, mobility, things Juulsen is not known for. They are very different players with very different upsides. Juulsen has always been a safe bet to bet at least a bottom pairing NHLer and if he developed his offense he could be a 2nd pairing D. Brook if everything goes well can be a top pairing D as he can do just about everything well or better.

Brook was on pace for 49 pts last year and that's after having a wrist injury that he said he felt he returned too soon. it clearly impacted him since he had only 3 goals last year and 9 in 25 games this year.

As for Lindgren/Primeau, Primeau was in his age 18 season as a Freshman (turned 18 2 months before the season) and Lindgren is a late B-day so he turned 20 2 months into his Freshman season. But hard to compare since he was just a backup and only appeared in 10 games. Primeau is coming off one of the best seasons an 18 year old has ever had in the NCAA.

no one said the 2nd coming of Karlsson, but he's a top 2 prospect for us for a reason, his upside is sky high as he is very good at both ends of the ice, his skating, speed, mobility are what you want for today's NHL. If he can get stronger, improve his defense a little, fill out his frame a little, there's no telling how good he could be aside from not being as good as Karlsson unless everything were to go right for his development and even then it would be hard to believe.

I'd say that. He'll definitely be a better player than M Karlsson

Reactions: Chr1s97

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Pretty strange that, for a guy that's supposed to be very talented offensively, he was being used mostly in a defensive/PK role for team Canada.

Not sure if it was strange coaching or a sign of his versatility (or both).

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Pretty strange that, for a guy that's supposed to be very talented offensively, he was being used mostly in a defensive/PK role for team Canada.

I have no clue how this team was coached, but we barely ever saw any defensemen pinch. We got almost zero offense from our defensemen.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

It's normal for players to take different roles when they play for team Canada. Brook is talented offensively but this is not the WHL, it's the best 18 and 19 year olds in the world and they needed Brook to be a reliable piece on D which is what he did.

Maybe if Bouchard was not there, Brook would of been asked to take on his role?

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I liked the look of Brook. Smart dman - will probably need some AHL time. He looked good to me even though Canada didn't really gel as a team so they none of them looked that good.

Reactions: David Suzuki

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002

Super odd considering that enormous wanker Tim Hunter, is his WHL coach. Brook was solid on every shift, they kept leaning on Bouchard who was downright awful when it mattered.

Reactions: cphabs

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Considering the success Ducharme had in two years coaching the world junior team you would think Hockey Canada would realize its key to have a innovative and adaptable coach leading the team

Hunter picked the wrong guy in the penalty shot. He didn't have a quick answer and ended up going with leadership vs top end skill. I bet you 90% of Canada hated the choice even before Comtois failed at his attempt. It's not Comtois's fault.

Glass, Suzuki, Lafreniere, Frost would of been my consideration. Leadership don't belong in the equation on how you decide who goes 1/1 with the goalie. Not saying Comtois don't have skill but creativity plays a huge factor in a penalty shot or shootout attempt.

Hunter should of went with Lafreniere IMO. Yeah, I know he didn't have a tournament where he dominated but the kid has skill and he knows how to score when he has time and space.

Hunter is way to conservative. He coached them not to lose vs to go on attack and win like Ducharme did in previous years.

Reactions: donghabs98

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Agreed. Kept going with the same guys instead of changing up things when others were stepping up.

When you have a stacked roster like this on paper with lots of skill, big dudes that can skate, and solid defenseman. You don't coach them not to lose. You coach them to go on attack and keep the puck in the offensive end.

The other thing that did not play in our favor was the 14-0 win in the 1st game. It made the team feel like they can continue to be pass happy and generate offense. They clearly did not have shoot and score mentality. The PP was a mess.

Luck don't go your way when you are a stacked roster and you coach them to play a style not to lose the game. We didn't get the puck down low and attack the D of the fins. We sat back and tried to play a trap game. What a joke. We deserved bad luck on this strategy

If Hunter coached Vegas last year, they would of been last place with his conservative ways.

Last edited:
Reactions: loudi94

Jul 6, 2016
Brook will be allright. Leave him on his natural right side for godsake.

Reactions: cphabs

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012

Sounds like our team’s philosophy

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Hunter picked the wrong guy in the penalty shot. He didn't have a quick answer and ended up going with leadership vs top end skill. I bet you 90% of Canada hated the choice even before Comtois failed at his attempt. It's not Comtois's fault.

Glass, Suzuki, Lafreniere, Frost would of been my consideration. Leadership don't belong in the equation on how you decide who goes 1/1 with the goalie. Not saying Comtois don't have skill but creativity plays a huge factor in a penalty shot or shootout attempt.

Hunter should of went with Lafreniere IMO. Yeah, I know he didn't have a tournament where he dominated but the kid has skill and he knows how to score when he has time and space.

Hunter is way to conservative. He coached them not to lose vs to go on attack and win like Ducharme did in previous years.

I think he also considered who could handle the pressure, in addition to skill.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Hopefully the Habs watched and will keep Brook at RD, the good news is that I liked his defensive play at the wjc's, not that I think he has problems there but I've always found him to be better in the offensive zone then in his own end. He's at his best when rushing the puck up ice, so it was good to see him play well in his own end and on his off-side.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal

Brook is very talented but not only offensively . He was playing against the big opposite trios while he was playing on his offside and did very well . Witch other dman of the team would have been able to do this role as well as Brook ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad