El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Xxxxx-Weber
Kulak-Brook
Reilly-Juulsen

Trade Petry, Mete, 1st

For

1st pairing LD

We're in such a weird spot. Weber is 33 and is coming back from a knee surgery. We have no idea how long he'll maintain top pairing status, and the rest of the D-core, minus Petry, is completely unproven, even though it shows some promise.

By the time these guys will be groomed and comfortable in their roles at the NHL level... Chances are the old guard of the team will be falling apart. That's unless Brook comes in and has a seamless transition a la Subban.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
We're in such a weird spot. Weber is 33 and is coming back from a knee surgery. We have no idea how long he'll maintain top pairing status, and the rest of the D-core, minus Petry, is completely unproven, even though it shows some promise.

By the time these guys will be groomed and comfortable in their roles at the NHL level... Chances are the old guard of the team will be falling apart. That's unless Brook comes in and has a seamless transition a la Subban.
I have 100% faith in the right side of the defense. Theres room for a lot to go wrong with Juulsen, Fleury, Brook+ Petry and Weber. Juulsen is already looking like the best defender on this team, and Fleury and Brook look like the best defender on their team, too. It's a great spot the Habs are in when it comes to RD's.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center

By the time these guys will be groomed and comfortable in their roles at the NHL level... Chances are the old guard of the team will be falling apart by that point. That's unless Brook comes in and has a seamless transition a la Subban.
Weber should still be effective for some years, if we could give him a young PMD who generates offense we should be ok. We just need to keep drafting well. If Brook comes in and needs a spot it will be time to trade Petry.

Reactions: jaffy27

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
call me crazy but his poise and the way he finds lane for little wrister shot from the point for deviation or little bouncy rebound realy remind me of karlsson...

Reactions: Acadien86 and Tyson

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Brook will need a year in the AHL imo, at least spend some time there anyways.

People were saying the same or similar things about plenty of other players.

Bergevin's philosophy is that if a player can help the Habs win the next regular season game, then that player should be in the NHL.

e.g. Victor Mete.

Reactions: cphabs

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014

Bergevin's philosophy is that if a player can help the Habs win the next regular season game, then that player should be in the NHL.

e.g. Victor Mete.
Oh I know and I also believe he's wrong, but that's just my opinion

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Very electric offensive playmaker, the trick for him is just rounding out the defensive aspects of his game
not realy, have you watched him? he's actually smart defensively and has a realy good stick!

his defense was actually one of his strenght, you could always see he had great mobility and offensive upside, he flat out went hard offensively with bigger reponsability!

Reactions: dralaf and Mrb1p

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
not realy, have you watched him? he's actually smart defensively and has a realy good stick!

his defense was actually one of his strenght, you could always see he had great mobility and offensive upside, he flat out went hard offensively with bigger reponsability!
Yeah he is good defensively but still needs some polishment...

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Yeah he is good defensively but still needs some polishment...

i mean of course he's a young 19 year old Dman they all do.

but my point is some time you got some offensive Dman like Ryan merkley who has trouble defending in Junior, than you have two-way Dman who are great offensively and good defensively, then you have the Josh brook of last season who was great defensively and good offensively, now his good offensive is turning into great, how well his overall package will translate to the NHL, only time will tell but the fact that his offensive abilities are sky rocking and he was already great defensively, it's promising. crazy how he slipped, it just shows how hard it is to project Dman as their developpement are not as linear as foward, if you look around the league a shit ton of great top2-top4 slips into the 2nd round!

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
i mean of course he's a young 19 year old Dman they all do.

but my point is some time you got some offensive Dman like Ryan merkley who has trouble defending in Junior, than you have two-way Dman who are great offensively and good defensively, then you have the Josh brook of last season who was great defensively and good offensively, now his good offensive is turning into great, how well his overall package will translate to the NHL, only time will tell but the fact that his offensive abilities are sky rocking and he was already great defensively, it's promising. crazy how he slipped, it just shows how hard it is to project Dman as their developpement are not as linear as foward, if you look around the league a **** ton of great top2-top4 slips into the 2nd round!
Yeah thats promising for sure, Im only pointing out some minor unaccuracy in his reads at times but thats easily correctable unlike some evident fundamental flaws like you pointed out with a kid like Merkley who is a typical pre draft flop as skilled and creative offensively as he can be... I have the mentality that defensemen should be able to defend first since its way easier to defend than scoring goals, so thats why Im a huge Brook fan, not only can he generate offense but he can defend properly as well... Going to the last draft, I wasnt that high on Quinn Hugues as a top 10 pick, his skating and puck skills are certainly on another level but I wasnt sold on his abilities to defend properly, his shot isnt great and he is very small out there... In Hugues I see a very flashy eye catching player, but not a great overall defenseman in the sense that he will cost more his team than the opposite...

Last edited:

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017

He has the talent to be good defensively, but like with Subban when he was in junior, his skating takes him out of position unintentionally at times.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

e.g. Victor Mete.
Except that if our RHD’s are Weber, Petry and Juulsen, and with Fleury acquiring already a years experience in the A, my guess is he’ll spend the entire season in Laval.

Now if Brook was a LHD, he’d be in next fall considering our lack of talent at that position.

A lack of depth will always precipitate the ascension of players, on any team at any position.

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
I would love to get my hands on Josh Brook. 40 points in 69 games as a defenseman this season, and just had a huge Game 7 for the Warriors (albeit a loss), 1 goal and 1 assist, and his goal got the Warriors back in it with 5 minutes to go. (7 points in 7 games this postseason)

Always seems to show up when he's needed. He's one of the more clutch players in the WHL.

He's probably going early 2nd so hopefully he falls to one of our two 2nd's.

Still can't believe we got him. Thought he was a late 1st rounder at that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad