Prospect Info: Josh Brook

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
Maybe I'm overvaluing him, but his hockey IQ is through the roof.

well, it depends what means through the roof. I believe the guy is worthing a 17-23rd OV pick for now. Definitly our better strike theses days. I dont give him credits too often, but great call by Grant McCagg

Reactions: dralaf

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
If Brook can become a solid top pairing defencemen for us, I will be thrilled. He has all the tools and now seems to be putting them together.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
But, at the camp, before he was cut, it's honestly his defensive plays that stood for me, he didn't take offensive chances that much (understandably), but for the short time he was there, I thought he was one of the best D we had, his positioning was on point, and damn I loved his stickwork, he did cut a lot of plays just by precise and timely pokechecks. And he doesn't seem to mind the rough stuff at all,, which is a bonus, he was the only one defending Price at one point when someone crashed in him.

Maybe I'm overvaluing him, but his hockey IQ is through the roof.

I like his defensive game a lot but his offensive game is just so impressive, the way he can rush a puck up ice reminds me of Subban minus the great lower body strength but Brook has time to work on that. Last year he seemed to be better in his own end but this year in the few games I saw he had some mistakes in his own end but had so much confidence in the offensive zone like he could do whatever he wanted and he knew it.

With him and Suzuki I can't wait to see how good they end up being, add in Kotka and you have a great under 20 trio that should be a huge part of our future.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I like his defensive game a lot but his offensive game is just so impressive, the way he can rush a puck up ice reminds me of Subban minus the great lower body strength but Brook has time to work on that. Last year he seemed to be better in his own end but this year in the few games I saw he had some mistakes in his own end but had so much confidence in the offensive zone like he could do whatever he wanted and he knew it.

With him and Suzuki I can't wait to see how good they end up being, add in Kotka and you have a great under 20 trio that should be a huge part of our future.
What about McDonagh though? I dont agree with the Subban comparisons because Subban seemed to create mostly on physical traits. Meanwhile Brook does it with a great mix of IQ and speed, like McDonagh.

I didnt get to watch Mcdo at the same age, what do you think?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Next year will be the real big test.

Im rarely enthused by D+2 stats as an overager.

If it's in a men's league, then it's different.

He'll be a lock if he can translate this to the A next year.
Hes not an overager, and his production this year really is no joke when you compare him to other CHL defenders in their d+2.

Reactions: dralaf

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Well he's not really an overager...he's 19. He's not turning 20 till June.

Overager is usually the season the player turns 20. It's usually a player's 4th season.

Check all those boxes for Brook.

Semantics aside, my meaning is that it's easier to dominate in junior hockey when you're 19-20. The real test comes in the first season against men.

Reactions: FrankMTL

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Overager is usually the season the player turns 20. It's usually a player's 4th season.

Semantics aside, my meaning is that it's easier to dominate in junior hockey when you're 19-20. The real test comes in the first season against men.
But he dominated at similar pace last year, he just got the shaft on injuries.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
3 assist tonight for Josh. Up to 26 points in 17 games

since returning from the Russian series with Team WHL, in 5 games he has 11 pts and is a +11. That's just sick. I'm sure his coach is looking at that and figuring out where he's going to put him on Team Canada in a month. Maybe with Ty Smith?

What about McDonagh though? I dont agree with the Subban comparisons because Subban seemed to create mostly on physical traits. Meanwhile Brook does it with a great mix of IQ and speed, like McDonagh.

I didnt get to watch Mcdo at the same age, what do you think?

Well Subban had high skill and confidence which Brook has, I wasn't really comparing them as players just that his rushes up ice remind me of Subban.

McDonagh's game was much more physical and much less offensive although it's tougher to compare CHLers to NCAA kids. I was told we were really high on McDonagh in his draft year so I got to watch him in the USHS for CDH as well as after drafting him, there are some things to compare but don't really like it. McDonagh looked like a linebacker in the NCAA, Brook is more slender at the same age but I think he's smarter and more skilled.

I always consider overager season as the last possible season for a CHLer. So if somehow Brook were to play in the WHL next year that would be his overage season to me. I look at Tyszka, I like him a lot and hope they sign him but with him missing so much time to injury I wonder if they do sign him would they opt to return him to the WHL next year for his overage season? I don't usually like to see us put 20 year olds back in the CHL to play against mostly 17-19 year olds but in his case it might be a good idea.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
since returning from the Russian series with Team WHL, in 5 games he has 11 pts and is a +11. That's just sick. I'm sure his coach is looking at that and figuring out where he's going to put him on Team Canada in a month. Maybe with Ty Smith?

Well Subban had high skill and confidence which Brook has, I wasn't really comparing them as players just that his rushes up ice remind me of Subban.

McDonagh's game was much more physical and much less offensive although it's tougher to compare CHLers to NCAA kids. I was told we were really high on McDonagh in his draft year so I got to watch him in the USHS for CDH as well as after drafting him, there are some things to compare but don't really like it. McDonagh looked like a linebacker in the NCAA, Brook is more slender at the same age but I think he's smarter and more skilled.

I always consider overager season as the last possible season for a CHLer. So if somehow Brook were to play in the WHL next year that would be his overage season to me. I look at Tyszka, I like him a lot and hope they sign him but with him missing so much time to injury I wonder if they do sign him would they opt to return him to the WHL next year for his overage season? I don't usually like to see us put 20 year olds back in the CHL to play against mostly 17-19 year olds but in his case it might be a good idea.

Brook is 100% AHL next year, unless he goes to NHL AND is gonna be 20.

He could be in the A as soon as spring if the Warriors get eliminated quickly as he'll eligible. 2019 is his 20th birthday so he has A access in that year.

Ergo, he's an overager.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005

Ya for some reason in my head I had an overager as a player who came back to juniors as a 20 year old

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Fair, as I mentionned, didnt watch McDo pre NHL, but he does look like an awfully similar player in the way he creates offense. He is however, thick as a brick.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Brook is 100% AHL next year, unless he goes to NHL AND is gonna be 20.

He could be in the A as soon as spring if the Warriors get eliminated quickly as he'll eligible. 2019 is his 20th birthday so he has A access in that year.

Ergo, he's an overager.

Yes I know but my point is he COULD play in the WHL next year, so I don't consider him an overager if he can still play another year even though he won't he's still eligible. As an example, let's say that Brook gets injured today and is out for the season, so at camp next year the Habs feel he's not ready so they send him back to the WHL, so what season would that be his overage +2?

And the CHL rule doesn't apply for the AHL playoffs, so it doesn't matter that he turns 20, he could have played in the AHL playoffs last year if Laval wasn't the worst team in the league. It's not done often but you can send 18 year olds to the AHL at the end of their CHL season.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Yes I know but my point is he COULD play in the WHL next year, so I don't consider him an overager if he can still play another year even though he won't he's still eligible. As an example, let's say that Brook gets injured today and is out for the season, so at camp next year the Habs feel he's not ready so they send him back to the WHL, so what season would that be his overage +2?

And the CHL rule doesn't apply for the AHL playoffs, so it doesn't matter that he turns 20, he could have played in the AHL playoffs last year if Laval wasn't the worst team in the league. It's not done often but you can send 18 year olds to the AHL at the end of their CHL season.

Well, like I said, it's semantics. I always considered that past their 3rd season in the C, they become overagers.

There's really no true definition out there.

I've heard players of Brook's age been considered as overager before. I've often heard 4th season players being considered so.

I guess the grey zone vs the definition of overager is because Brook has his birthday just after the end of the season, which is the opposite of let's say a player like Jeremiah Addison, who turned 20 at the begining of his 5th season.

I guess it all depends if you consider just 5th season as overager, or both 4th and 5th. I tend to take both as not all players play both.

Last edited:

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Well, like I said, it's semantics. I always considered that past their 3rd season in the C, they become overagers.

There's really no true definition out there.

I've heard players of Brook's age been considered as overager before. I've often heard 4th season players being considered so.

I guess the grey zone vs the definition of overager is because Brook has his birthday just after the end of the season, which is the opposite of let's say a player like Jeremiah Addison, who turned 20 at the begining of his 5th season.

I guess it all depends if you consider just 5th season as overager, or both 4th and 5th. I tend to take both as not all players play both.

I'm pretty sure the definition of an overager is someone that plays in the CHL at 21... Which isn't Brook's case.

It's not semantics. Overager = over the age of 20.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Next year will be the real big test.

Im rarely enthused by D+2 stats as an overager.

If it's in a men's league, then it's different.

He'll be a lock if he can translate this to the A next year.

It is extremely unlikely that Bergevin sends Brook to the AHL for development next year.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Xxxxx-Weber
Kulak-Brook
Reilly-Juulsen

Trade Petry, Mete, 1st

For

1st pairing LD
Will be tough to get a #1 D man with some life left in him unless a team is in cap hell or something. I'd like it to happen though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad