Prospect Info: Josh Brook

Status
Not open for further replies.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He's basically as good as a defenseman as Suzuki is a forward. Like @Kudo Shinichi said, his production isn't too far behind Suzuki's and that's as a defenseman.

Hard to judge Junior/College players based on their numbers. See Brady Tkachuk's numbers last year for a good example.

On the one hand, I like that he's fast, because skating is such an important aspect of the game today. On the other hand, some players can put up big numbers in Junior based on their skating (ex Yakupov) but lack the hockey i.q. to become quality NHLers.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Hard to judge Junior/College players based on their numbers. See Brady Tkachuk's numbers last year for a good example.

On the one hand, I like that he's fast, because skating is such an important aspect of the game today. On the other hand, some players can put up big numbers in Junior based on their skating (ex Yakupov) but lack the hockey i.q. to become quality NHLers.

Seems like our top 3 prospects all have great hockey IQ, hopefully their play will translate well.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
He has the talent to be good defensively, but like with Subban when he was in junior, his skating takes him out of position unintentionally at times.
Brook is one of the best defenders in the WHL, his defensive play is of little concern. Subban never was a strong skater and when he gets beat it is ugly. Brook is a far superior skater with a much higher IQ. Subban is a puck protection beast with great hands and an elite shot. Brook is silky smooth and cerebral and reminds me alot more of Pietrangelo.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
Brook is one of the best defenders in the WHL, his defensive play is of little concern. Subban never was a strong skater and when he gets beat it is ugly. Brook is a far superior skater with a much higher IQ. Subban is a puck protection beast with great hands and an elite shot. Brook is silky smooth and cerebral and reminds me alot more of Pietrangelo.
I hope you’re right.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I don’t disagree that his skating is top notch as is his IQ and skill level, but remember he’s in junior, and I do question pretty much every junior level defender in terms of how they will translate since it’s such a major jump up to the NHL and it’s impossible to predict. Right now I see a lack of discipline defensively that isn’t burning him in the CHL but needs to be ironed out before he’s a quality defensive player in the NHL. As a prospect he’s approaching Subban level, different players as he lacks Subban power in both his physique and shot, but overall is quicker. But he’s showing elite offensive potential but just needs to continue to grow defensively like Subban had to in order to reach that top pairing upside he possesses.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Hes tracking to have a better or on par u20 season to guys like Subban, Carlson, Provorov, Theodore, Sergachev, Hamilton in the last 10 years.

We got a good one here. His commitment to the game and hunger to get better is what sets him apart from others. He does have the size/skating/skill level you look for too!

Reactions: dralaf

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Ahhhhh...Gilles "l'expeeeeerience d'un Gaiiiiney" Tremblay, Richard Garneau and the voice of Claude Mouton. Dang. Those were the days.
Oh hell yeah.

Claude Quennevile is also right up there in the legend status for me. I feel so blessed that I was able to watch "la soiree du hockey" as a child and not the "Pepsi super full cool mega chill" TVA sports garbage eith their 754 camera angles.

Reactions: larrypacman8167

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
I don’t disagree that his skating is top notch as is his IQ and skill level, but remember he’s in junior, and I do question pretty much every junior level defender in terms of how they will translate since it’s such a major jump up to the NHL and it’s impossible to predict. Right now I see a lack of discipline defensively that isn’t burning him in the CHL but needs to be ironed out before he’s a quality defensive player in the NHL. As a prospect he’s approaching Subban level, different players as he lacks Subban power in both his physique and shot, but overall is quicker. But he’s showing elite offensive potential but just needs to continue to grow defensively like Subban had to in order to reach that top pairing upside he possesses.

Why is this always brought up? If a guy is heads and shoulders better than the restof the junior players chances are he's fine at a higher level. If we never had any inkling how they translate the draft wouldn't be nearly as objective as it pretends to be

Reactions: Chr1s97

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Honestly the more I think about it, the more I want Brook to try playing on his offside next year. I think he would be our best LD

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Honestly the more I think about it, the more I want Brook to try playing on his offside next year. I think he would be our best LD

It's much tougher for RHD to switch sides. It's rarely seen. Jordie Benn is a rare example of a guy that is better at RD than LD despite being left handed. That said, if he shows he can do it and remain just as effective, why not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad