Prospect Info: Josh Brook II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
who else than ?
I think Beaulieu was much more highly touted but a combination of him being a head case and an AHL coaching staff ill equipped to develop him screwed that up.

Romanov TBD

Sergachev but we know what happened there.

I am not sure he has higher upside than Noah Juulsen or even Cale Fleury.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
I think Beaulieu was much more highly touted but a combination of him being a head case and an AHL coaching staff ill equipped to develop him screwed that up.

Romanov TBD

Sergachev but we know what happened there.

I am not sure he has higher upside than Noah Juulsen or even Cale Fleury.
Beaulieu ? no way .
Romanov , maybe but Brook ceiling is higher because of his offensive and his IQ

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
The problem i see with Brook is yeah, he produced like a machine last year in junior In a good team. But it was his last year and a bunch of player produce like him and finished ahler. Im not saying he is an ahler, cause imI think he is gonna be a regular nhl dman.

Reactions: Tyson

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Beaulieu ? no way .
Romanov , maybe but Brook ceiling is higher because of his offensive and his IQ
Forget how Beaulieu turned out but he was an elite skating Dman who was highly touted.

Brook was a second rounder who did have an amazing season in the WHL last season, until he takes certain steps this season I am not ready to anoint him anything. Replicate what Cale Fleury did last season and we can go from there. If Juulsen regains his form...

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I don’t know what is his value, but as a 2nd rounder and nice stats in WHL. I would think he has a nice value. Montreal already have Juulsen and Fleury on right side. So if there is a Player with a nice value to acquire a good LD or a gamebreaker ufa i think Josh Brook could be expendable. He is maybe a prospect who could bust, but right now he had a decent value i think

Juulsen is expendable.. not Brook

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Not ready to write off Juulsen yet. He actually showed he could play in the NHL until he got hurt. Brook has proven squat. The road through the AHL is paved with terrific prospects who couldn’t make the jump.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Forget how Beaulieu turned out but he was an elite skating Dman who was highly touted.

Brook was a second rounder who did have an amazing season in the WHL last season, until he takes certain steps this season I am not ready to anoint him anything. Replicate what Cale Fleury did last season and we can go from there. If Juulsen regains his form...
Beaulieu was a great skater but if he was flying in the offensive zone with the puck, he didn't know what to do with it ( at the NHL level )onbce there ; no vision .
Brook has a good vision and hockey IQ

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
How do you know that Brook as higher hockey IQ than Romanov? Curious
from the eyes tests and the reads i've made . What is difficult in the evaluation of Romanov is that his progression is faster/better than what was anticipated

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
from the eyes tests and the reads i've made . What is difficult in the evaluation of Romanov is that his progression is faster/better than what was anticipated
eye test, you're watching his games in Russia ??

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Imo the value of Juulsen is very low right now and it could be a bad decision to trade him. He could developp on a decent top4 dman. Brook too but his value is higher and we could get something good with him imo

Reactions: 26Mats

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Beaulieu was a great skater but if he was flying in the offensive zone with the puck, he didn't know what to do with it ( at the NHL level )onbce there ; no vision .
I hope Brook becomes the second coming of Subban I really do. Subban had 53 points in his one AHL season, let’s see how well Brook does. With his skating, IQ and pedigree I would expect at least 30 points. He will get ample ice time. He has to prove he belongs

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Imo the value of Juulsen is very low right now and it could be a bad decision to trade him. He could developp on a decent top4 dman. Brook too but his value is higher and we could get something good with him imo
Brook would entice many GM’s no doubt.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

The thing is, Petry is turning 32 this December. He will turn 33 next December, in the final year of his contract.

Do we really want to give a big contract to a player who will be 34 in the first year of his new contract? Look at 34 year old Weber now.

I think we should trade Petry to a contender. If we could get a Pacioretty-like return, it's a no brain-er to me. And at the end of next year, how much will Weber have left? We may need all three of Brook, Juulsen, and Fleury in two years or the year after Perhaps let Brook spend 3 full years developing in the A.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Still having some intriguing concerns about Brook. Is he really a two-way defenceman? Or a traditional defensive player... He seems to be likely a “yesman”. From that angle, it’s alright that he haven’t behaviour issues. On the other hand, it’s like he’s ready to even penalize himself by accepting whatever request. Extremely stressed, that’s his non-verbal. Taking also some useless penalties at many occasions. To me, he’s still looking for answers.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
If you want to catch something big, it’s not with a micheal pezzetta you will be able. I said if i had a prospect to sell high right now, it’s him

it's pointless though since it doesn't matter what you want, it's what MB does and I would bet a lot he won't be trading Brook any time soon.

It's Romanov and it's not that close IMO.

I've seen a lot of both and to me it's most certainly close as i think Brook has higher upside.

But it was his last year and a bunch of player produce like him and finished ahler.

depends on your definition of a bunch. Since the '00-'01 season only 7 U-20 defensemen in the WHL have put up more points then Brook.

Elite Prospects - WHL Stats All-time season

it's a fair point. There's Connor Hobbs who wrecked the WHL with 85 pts and now has 35 pts in 107 AHL games. What Brook did last year was amazing but now that's the past, he needs to get better and show he can improve at the pro level. So far it's been a mixed review for me, he's certainly not looked as good as I had expected he would, but he's been showing good signs the past few games and I'm 100% willing to wait till the end of the season to see where he's at.

As for Fleury, I fully expect Brook to have a much better season overall, as Fleury had a good year in the offensive zone but not so good in the defensive zone. Brook has been a little more shaky in the defensive zone then I expected and he's made some poor decisions at times but seems like he's starting to trust his skating/smarts to get him out of trouble. Not that he isn't going to continue to make some poor decisions, but it's about how he learns from them going forward. The only parts to Fleury's game I like then Brook's is the physical game and his shot although while Brook doesn't have the big shot, he's really good at getting it on net or was in the WHL. Haven't seen too much of it yet but it's so early in the season still.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
At what point do we start to worry about Brook's lack of production? He's at 23 career AHL games with 2 goals and one measly assist. Young defencemen obviously take time but at this rate you have to figure he's in Laval for at least two years. I'm convinced we will want to re-sign Petry.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014

Nate had a Midget AAA shot. Always thought thats what killed him, very hard to be a good NHL dman when you have a popcorn fart for a shot. Ad in questionable hockey IQ and its not going work.

I sure did enjoy watching him scrap though, and his skating is ridiculous

Reactions: Frank Drebin

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
At what point do we start to worry about Brook's lack of production? He's at 23 career AHL games with 2 goals and one measly assist. Young defencemen obviously take time but at this rate you have to figure he's in Laval for at least two years. I'm convinced we will want to re-sign Petry.
he just got 20 in June and he only played few games last years after his junior season. 23 games in the AHL yet

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

I wrote this last night in the Laval thread,

Brook who's been up and down with his play, he's shown some flashes but one of his best assets is his puck rushing abilities and while a few times he's wowed with a couple rushes this season they have been few and far between. He's had some troubles in his own end so I wonder if they are trying to get him to focus on the D first. He's got 1 point in the last 13 games while being a -5.

So he's on the 3rd pairing with Alzner, he's been solid this year for the most part but my concerns have been with his decision making in his own end. There have been several times in the 16 games he's played this year (since last year I don't count due to it being the end of a long season for him (reg season+ WJC+playoffs+AHL games) where he will do something in his own end where I just shake my head and say wtf were you thinking.

That said it's not happening much lately as it was more in the first 2 or so weeks of the season. Which made me wonder if they were telling him to focus on his D as Laval plays a very structured defensive game and has had troubles scoring goals at times. The offense has started to pick up so he needs to produce more plain and simple. I wonder if it's something to do with confidence, if he's not being told to focus on his D because as I posted above his bread and butter is rushing the puck up ice and while he's done that a few times this year I would like to see it much more.

I am concerned about production though as I figured him for at least 30 pts and it's not looking like that will happen which is not a good sign. We'll see if he can pick it up though and where he ends the season at.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
I wrote this last night in the Laval thread,

So he's on the 3rd pairing with Alzner, he's been solid this year for the most part but my concerns have been with his decision making in his own end. There have been several times in the 16 games he's played this year (since last year I don't count due to it being the end of a long season for him (reg season+ WJC+playoffs+AHL games) where he will do something in his own end where I just shake my head and say wtf were you thinking.

That said it's not happening much lately as it was more in the first 2 or so weeks of the season. Which made me wonder if they were telling him to focus on his D as Laval plays a very structured defensive game and has had troubles scoring goals at times. The offense has started to pick up so he needs to produce more plain and simple. I wonder if it's something to do with confidence, if he's not being told to focus on his D because as I posted above his bread and butter is rushing the puck up ice and while he's done that a few times this year I would like to see it much more.

I am concerned about production though as I figured him for at least 30 pts and it's not looking like that will happen which is not a good sign. We'll see if he can pick it up though and where he ends the season at.

I was far from being sold on his defensive play in my viewings in the last 2 years. To me it was flagrant; he sucked in his own zone under pressure, especially behind the net. Will see if he corrects this, that being said, I expected him to struggle defensively in the AHL. I'm surprised he's not producing more tho.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I was far from being sold on his defensive play in my viewings in the last 2 years. To me it was flagrant; he sucked in his own zone under pressure, especially behind the net. Will see if he corrects this, that being said, I expected him to struggle defensively in the AHL. I'm surprised he's not producing more tho.

Kind of was expecting some sort of a step forward,but maybe will be a late bloomer. not comparing him to Petry,but even Petry was not that formidable early on.

Reactions: Acadien86

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site

Beaulieu had a great first step and good straightforward speed but I wouldn’t say he was a elite skating Dman since he really wasn’t as comfortable going backward or pivoting.

Reactions: Tyson
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad