Prospect Info: Josh Brook II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
He reminds me quite a bit of Thomas Hickey...

Could see him topping out not far from where he did. And while for hickey, drafted 4th overall -albeit a concensus reach at the time), that was below expectations....

For Brook, if he becomes a reliable 20-30pt 2nd/3rd pairing PMD, would that be so bad?

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Well, I suppose Josh Brook could perhaps get late enrollment in a university somewheres since this NHL thing is clearly not working out for him. Tough break Josh, but the data is what it is: nobody has ever gone on to a good NHL career after a disappointing rookie tournament.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
He reminds me quite a bit of Thomas Hickey...

Could see him topping out not far from where he did. And while for hickey, drafted 4th overall -albeit a concensus reach at the time), that was below expectations....

For Brook, if he becomes a reliable 20-30pt 2nd/3rd pairing PMD, would that be so bad?

Hickey was a reach that surprised everyone, like Seider and Wheeler.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
He once scored a goal on an end to end rush. That was a huge WTF moment.

My Traverse avatar was the day I gave up on any montreal GM having a vision. They actively went and got the guy, a player who was so bad the Sens let him go when they were awful. I always said I'd change it when we had a GM with a gameplan, I'm still waiting all this time later.

Reactions: McTusk

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
It is written that it takes a D four years of NHL hockey to reach his potential.

We have Weber at 33 years old and Petry at 31 and going UFA in 2 years, and we have no 2D.

Real good D men can come out of later rounds, but I'm reading about people being okay if Brook is a 2nd / 3rd pair guy ? F no. Ag6ain , fine if it's a later pick, whatever, but we sure as damn need no. 1 , no.2 and no.3 Dmen to develop over the next 3 years.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
It only took us 10 years to realize that our development program better be world class in a profit sharing league, that is rapidly expanding... Brooks should be fine.

Reactions: DAChampion

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I expect him to have a terrific AHL season under Joel Bouchard. Subban got a complete season under Guy Boucher and Brook will benefit in the same way.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Brook is a better prospect than Romanov...:neener:
I don't think he is. I like Brook a lot, but I think some are a bit overly optimistic. I didn't see any of these games, so I don't base my opinion on that. I think Romanov is going to be really special though.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Let's be honest here. Nobody here has the time to watch all these prospects extensively. Even professional scouts don't have the time to watch all these guys. It's why teams hire dozens of them. No sense in attacking each other over this
Agreed it is a bit foolish, but I like that posters that do dedicate more time to watching these guys than I do put their analysis out for us to see. It's easy to attack and be critical of someone's analysis, but at least he's making one and backing it up with some data/facts and scouting reports. Will he be right or wrong, who knows? At least he's trying.

Reactions: DangerDave

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I can't wait to see how Brook does this year, going to be very interesting to see how he handles the AHL. I have him over Romanov for sure but both are in my top tier of Hab prospects (Caufield/Suzuki/Brook/Primeau/Poehling/Romanov) so the order doesn't really matter that much to me. If he struggles in the AHL then of course he will drop out of the top tier. I don't get to see many CHL games so for me I get a much better feel for the CHL kids when they hit the AHL since I don't often miss a game.

I will also say that I've been watching prospects for over 20 years and Romanov is easily one of the most difficult to get a good feel for. I have seen a number of his KHL games and I have to admit that it can be really tough to watch him some times due to how little and sporadic his shifts can be.

Since his games are on in the morning to afternoons, I'm working or supposed to be watching the market so when I take time out of my day to watch him and he plays one shift and then not another one for 5+ minutes it can be hard to keep my attention. Things got better as the season went on but Jan to May is usually my busy time at work so I try to get in as many games as I can before then.

Romanov is worth watching just for his skating, and every now and then he will just crush someone. But my main problem is trying to figure out his offensive upside. I've heard so much about how great his shot is but in all the games i've seen him, one he doesn't shoot much and two I can count on one hand with room to spare how many times i've seen a great shot (like say a Weber like shot). So while he's got a heavier shot then Brook, Brook has the better wrist shot and is smart about getting his on net. I'm just not sure Romanov has that kind of offensive skill since I just don't often get to see him do much in the offensive zone in the KHL.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Yeah brook had a tough tournament at 20 years old. He had a tough WJC last winter. Cale fleury was better imo and a guy like Erik Bransstron were very good during tournament and he is younger. So i won’t say that Brook is a flop, but if Bergevin can reach a pretty good player for him in a package, it could be not a bad decision.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Yeah brook had a tough tournament at 20 years old. He had a tough WJC last winter. Cale fleury was better imo and a guy like Erik Bransstron were very good during tournament and he is younger. So i won’t say that Brook is a flop, but if Bergevin can reach a pretty good player for him in a package, it could be not a bad decision.

Brook was playing his off-side at the WJC's and still did fine imo, but the Habs should keep him at RD. Trading Brook now would be extremely risky and likely not worth it.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Brook was playing his off-side at the WJC's and still did fine imo, but the Habs should keep him at RD. Trading Brook now would be extremely risky and likely not worth it.
I don’t want to find an excuse at each prospect when they don’t performing as well. It would be easy to say that it was the first game in NA for Kappo Kakko, so don’t worry if he is not good. No, he just destroy it at traverse city. I mean, im able to tell when a player is good and when is not. Brook have a nice package of skill. I could see him in top 4 further, but if i have a prospect to sell high, it’s him

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Brook was the best defender on that sorry squad and he was playing his offside. Please.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I don’t want to find an excuse at each prospect when they don’t performing as well. It would be easy to say that it was the first game in NA for Kappo Kakko, so don’t worry if he is not good. No, he just destroy it at traverse city. I mean, im able to tell when a player is good and when is not. Brook have a nice package of skill. I could see him in top 4 further, but if i have a prospect to sell high, it’s him

No one knows how a player will continue to improve or not, that's why you don't see many top prospects get traded before turning pro as it's just too risky. If Brook turns into a top 4 down the road, that's very valuable so the problem is that it's unlikely you get the same value for him now to make it worth the risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad