Player Discussion: Josh Bailey

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Brad Marchand. 6.1mil

Josh Bailey 5 mil

Let that one sink in.

6.125, and he signed that deal in September 2016, when the cap was 73M, equaling 8.4% of a team’s cap space. 16-17 was the first season he finished above a PPG, and his career high before that was 61 points in a season.

Bailey signed at 5M per in February 2018, when the cap was 75M, equaling 6.7% of a team’s cap space. Bailey’s career high was that season at 71 points, and his career high prior to that was 56 points.

As mentioned above, Marchand got trade and movement protection written into his deal which likely brought down the AAV little bit compared to Bailey who can be moved at any point.

Overall, the comps seem to reflect the caliber of players fair and adequately, and you have to consider that Marchand’s offense bloomed after signing the biggest contract of his career, which is typically not the case. Bailey has since continued to be a 15 goal, 40 assist forward for the Islanders, even with the loss of Tavares.

You’re just filtering.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
6.125, and he signed that deal in September 2016, when the cap was 73M, equaling 8.4% of a team’s cap space. 16-17 was the first season he finished above a PPG, and his career high before that was 61 points in a season.

Bailey signed at 5M per in February 2018, when the cap was 75M, equaling 6.7% of a team’s cap space. Bailey’s career high was that season at 71 points, and his career high prior to that was 56 points.

As mentioned above, Marchand got trade and movement protection written into his deal which likely brought down the AAV little bit compared to Bailey who can be moved at any point.

Overall, the comps seem to reflect the caliber of players fair and adequately, and you have to consider that Marchand’s offense bloomed after signing the biggest contract of his career, which is typically not the case. Bailey has since continued to be a 15 goal, 40 assist forward for the Islanders, even with the loss of Tavares.

You’re just filtering.

I just wanted to add... actually I think you pretty much covered everything.

Well, we’re all done here.

Reactions: periferal

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

You’re just filtering.

I can't wait until the day Josh Bailey isn't on the Isles anymore, but I will always listen to facts and objectivity first.

Therefore this is an outstanding post.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A

You’re just filtering.

If Bailey is a $5mil hockey player...(and we all know he isnt) then Marchand is worth $25 mil.

SDIsles34

Jul 19, 2010
Why are we using Marchand's sweetheart deal to pick on Josh Bailey, one of the team's leaders in points (both regular season and playoffs) and not someone like... oh I don't know... Andrew Ladd?

The Bailey hate train lost steam a long time ago but people refuse to get off.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Would you? Would they? Do the following...

Bailey and pick/prospect for Nylander and Marleau (just assume he waives his NMC)

Leafs open 8mil of cap space for next year. Bailey’s offense the past three years has been comparable to Nylander’s. Not like you can say he wouldn’t have chemistry with Tavares.

Isles get a younger more expensive replacement for Bailey. Who as a RH shot can also replace Eberle. Marleau is a 1 year stop gap. Or, a Brooks Orpik styled buyout.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Would you? Would they? Do the following...

Aside from the "your discontent guy for my equal discontent guy" type deal, you generally try to deal from a position of strength to address a position of weakness. You'd be dealing from a position of strength here to acquire something of arguably a little bit more strength. Doesn't make sense. It's the same reason why I think it's hooey that, say Edmonton would deal a top 3 forward just to stack more wood on defense.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
Don't look now but Bailey is climbing the list for some of our all time stats:

Games Played: (5) Bourne 814
(6) Bailey 806

Assists: (10) Bourne 304
(11). Bailey 297

Goals. (16) Turgeon 147
(17T) Bailey 145 (tied Czerkawski tonight)

(14). Bailey. 441

Very possibly he could get to 4th all time in games played this year (65 behind Gillies) and by early next year 5th in assists (41 behind Tonelli for 6th and 52 behind Pajama boy for 5th). He is 72 points behind Nystrom for 10th right now which he could reach sometime next season.

Some here may not like it but by the time his contract is done he could realistically be top 5 for the Islanders in assists, points and games, and top 10 in goals.. Will plan to be there when they eventually add him as the first player from the 2010 decade to be added to the Islander hall of fame. Not a crazy thought.. hope Bones will be there in his #12 jersey as well.

EDIT: WHOOPS jumped the gun, he is 1 goal behind Mariusz still at 144

Last edited:

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
Very quietly, this guy has been playing his best hockey lately. He was great last night vs. Philly. So many subtle but super smart plays.

I think he's entering the 'saavy veteran' phase of his career...And it's great to see.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Very quietly, this guy has been playing his best hockey lately. He was great last night vs. Philly. So many subtle but super smart plays.

I think he's entering the 'saavy veteran' phase of his career...And it's great to see.

I must have missed all of them. Dont recall his name being mentioned at all.

Vintage floater.

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
He's really developed into a good player. We was brought up to the league a little bit too early and has just steadily improved on his game. I'm thinking Anthony Beuvillier is taking a similar trajectory but might have even higher upside.

crasherino

May 9, 2013

I'd love him to be a consistent 20+ goal scorer - which he should be - but otherwise, I'm very happy with what we have in Bailey. He is that unspectacular but extremely solid vet that can play in any situation and role. He's the steady presence that you don't have to give a second thought to. He has real skill - its surprising he hasn't had 20 goals yet. If I had to put money on it, he'll hit it this year.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
He's really developed into a good player. We was brought up to the league a little bit too early and has just steadily improved on his game. I'm thinking Anthony Beuvillier is taking a similar trajectory but might have even higher upside.

Beau is twice the player bailey is -- especially as of late -- skating his balls off -- driving to the net... making offensive plays -- guy has passion & drive. Zeeker is too -- not the speed of Beau, but the guy moves the needle. Guy has character.

Bailey? 0 for 5 on all that. "Making a subtle play" -- that's what we want for the guy on the first line.. LOL.. I can't even type it without laughing.

Bailey is the definition of a valve. (football)

"What is Safety Valve? A term in football that describes a short pass from the quarterback to a receiver when all other passing options are covered downfield."

When you have no other option-- give it to Bailey -- and lets hope he doesn't shank the play or put it in his own net.

Lets just do this one more time, (cuz I love this shit):

Can he skate? Nope, Even Kenny Morrow points at him and laughs while on the phone with Oleg
Can he shoot? Sniper? -- Not sure, cuz all he does is pass, but if I had to venture a guess, I'd say NO
Big Slapper? Make Ovi Jealous? - Hells no. Don't think I've ever seen Bailey take a one timer.
Hit? Physical? - LOL.. no -- he is a delicate flower. He has played so many games for the Isles -- well yeah -- when you blend into the boards and never actually have possession for more than 2 seconds, you rarely will get injured.
Passion/Intensity? - See the line above - Also google "floater" and "hockey perimeter player" -- doesn't stir up the team, quiet player who grabs a rebound or tip in every once in a while.

Well then he must be great on the Shootout, A Franzie kinds guy! -- Nope -- kinda avg there -- nothing special

Now I know you guys -- "he is sooo responsible defensively" -- lovely. That's exactly what you want from a guy you have pegged as a top 6'er -- "great defensively" - <yawn> - - Hes a forward, he's paid for his point production. If his best quality is only found in the f***ING DEFENSIVE ZONE, THEN HE SUCKS. He is a third line nobody.

So I'm having fun with this -- but here is the idea I'm going to finish with .

When Bailey is out of the lineup, what exactly do we lose?

To accurately answer this, lets take a look at some other players. Sadly, we have seen what happens when the 4th line changes, that is bad. Barzy, Zeeker, Eberle, Lee, Boychuk, Pulock, couple of others -- when all these guys are out, there is an impact to the team which can be identified and has to be managed.

When Bailey is out? What exactly do we lose? What exactly is the void?

Trotz - "Well, I guess we gotta find someone to fill his minutes"

I've mentioned this before -- this isn't just an Isles thing -- the league is filled with "Baileys" -- one of the reasons that the game has changed. Non-impact guy who really doesn't have a special talent or skill -- just quietly plays the game, with no real energy, staying healthy and collecting a fat paycheck. Todays league requires far more coaching and strategy than decades ago -- so I guess that is the perfect storm for Bailey --play your role, stay healthy, get a double digit amount of points and play sound defensively.

Quite the league we have.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Beau is twice the player bailey is -- especially as of late -- skating his balls off -- driving to the net... making offensive plays -- guy has passion & drive. Zeeker is too -- not the speed of Beau, but the guy moves the needle. Guy has character.

Bailey? 0 for 5 on all that. "Making a subtle play" -- that's what we want for the guy on the first line.. LOL.. I can't even type it without laughing.

Bailey is the definition of a valve. (football)

"What is Safety Valve? A term in football that describes a short pass from the quarterback to a receiver when all other passing options are covered downfield."

When you have no other option-- give it to Bailey -- and lets hope he doesn't shank the play or put it in his own net.

Lets just do this one more time, (cuz I love this ****):

Can he skate? Nope, Even Kenny Morrow points at him and laughs while on the phone with Oleg
Can he shoot? Sniper? -- Not sure, cuz all he does is pass, but if I had to venture a guess, I'd say NO
Big Slapper? Make Ovi Jealous? - Hells no. Don't think I've ever seen Bailey take a one timer.
Hit? Physical? - LOL.. no -- he is a delicate flower. He has played so many games for the Isles -- well yeah -- when you blend into the boards and never actually have possession for more than 2 seconds, you rarely will get injured.
Passion/Intensity? - See the line above - Also google "floater" and "hockey perimeter player" -- doesn't stir up the team, quiet player who grabs a rebound or tip in every once in a while.

Well then he must be great on the Shootout, A Franzie kinds guy! -- Nope -- kinda avg there -- nothing special

Now I know you guys -- "he is sooo responsible defensively" -- lovely. That's exactly what you want from a guy you have pegged as a top 6'er -- "great defensively" - <yawn> - - Hes a forward, he's paid for his point production. If his best quality is only found in the ****ING DEFENSIVE ZONE, THEN HE SUCKS. He is a third line nobody.

So I'm having fun with this -- but here is the idea I'm going to finish with .

When Bailey is out of the lineup, what exactly do we lose?

To accurately answer this, lets take a look at some other players. Sadly, we have seen what happens when the 4th line changes, that is bad. Barzy, Zeeker, Eberle, Lee, Boychuk, Pulock, couple of others -- when all these guys are out, there is an impact to the team which can be identified and has to be managed.

When Bailey is out? What exactly do we lose? What exactly is the void?

Trotz - "Well, I guess we gotta find someone to fill his minutes"

I've mentioned this before -- this isn't just an Isles thing -- the league is filled with "Baileys" -- one of the reasons that the game has changed. Non-impact guy who really doesn't have a special talent or skill -- just quietly plays the game, with no real energy, staying healthy and collecting a fat paycheck. Todays league requires far more coaching and strategy than decades ago -- so I guess that is the perfect storm for Bailey --play your role, stay healthy, get a double digit amount of points and play sound defensively.

Quite the league we have.
Yawn...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad