Player Discussion: Josh Bailey

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
15 goal, 40 assist guy.

Don’t really see a replacement internally and you are easily paying more than what he’s making for longer on the open market.

SDIsles34

Jul 19, 2010
While everyone was cheering and going insane at the coli after the GWG on wednesday, there was one person in front of me with an emphatic two thumbs down, looking distressed.

I asked what was wrong... he said he hates Bailey and he played like crap all game.

I have no words....

benedictTavares

JT's PJ's'
Jan 15, 2013
Scottsdale
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD. BAILEY

Trotz on Bailey: Lacks 'wow factor' but gets the job done

giphy.gif

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
Rick Dipietro
Richard Todd
Patrick Ewing
Jason Bey

As a lifelong Met/Jet/Islander/Knick fan I disagree wholeheartedly. Jason Bay (I assume that you meant the ex met) definitely deserved it based on his brutally awful play... Todd blew the championship game in that muck and his teammates blamed him as well for quitting on them (before that the fans loved him Todd is god was a common refrain. Todd was vilified mostly afterward but had been a fan favorite). Ewing not even close, I was a season ticket holder all those years for the Knicks late 80s to mid 90s. He was beloved and cheered as that whole team was, the garden was always rocking and behind that team I always thought if anything Ewing was over rated but he was our guy, non fans gave it to him. Rick Dipietro, same fan base that busts on Bailey so that should tell you something, but for a different reason. DPs performance dropped due to injuries so unfairly vilified for what was out of his control although some say injuries were due to all the steroids he did. I was embarrassed for our fan base when they booed him on opening night, he tried everything he could to get back to playing, I would never question DPs heart.

No player who has been a positive contributor like Bailey has been so vilified by a NY fanbase in my memory, it is embarrassing and shows how little much of our fanbase understands the game. I have no issue if someone yells at Bailey or another player for a specific bad play, but Bailey could be having an outstanding game and fans will taunt him just because without any reason. he is taunted more by our home fans than any opponent not named JT..

Many are missing a pretty good career for an above average NHL player. I still think good chance he is ultimately up on the Islander HOF banner for the stats he will compile and longevity when all is said and done. aka Flatley I was never a Flatley fan btw but never booed him.

Last edited:

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
As a lifelong Met/Jet/Islander/Knick fan I disagree wholeheartedly. Jason Bay (I assume that you meant the ex met) definitely deserved it based on his brutally awful play... Todd blew the championship game in that muck and his teammates blamed him as well for quitting on them (before that the fans loved him Todd is god was a common refrain. Todd was vilified mostly afterward but had been a fan favorite). Ewing not even close, I was a season ticket holder all those years for the Knicks late 80s to mid 90s. He was beloved and cheered as that whole team was, the garden was always rocking and behind that team I always thought if anything Ewing was over rated but he was our guy, non fans gave it to him. Rick Dipietro, same fan base that busts on Bailey so that should tell you something, but for a different reason. DPs performance dropped due to injuries so unfairly vilified for what was out of his control although some say injuries were due to all the steroids he did. I was embarrassed for our fan base when they booed him on opening night, he tried everything he could to get back to playing, I would never question DPs heart.

No player who has been a positive contributor like Bailey has been so vilified by a NY fanbase in my memory, it is embarrassing and shows how little much of our fanbase understands the game. I have no issue if someone yells at Bailey or another player for a specific bad play, but Bailey could be having an outstanding game and fans will taunt him just because without any reason. he is taunted more by our home fans than any opponent not named JT..

Many are missing a pretty good career for an above average NHL player. I still think good chance he is ultimately up on the Islander HOF banner for the stats he will compile and longevity when all is said and done. aka Flatley I was never a Flatley fan btw but never booed him.

I'm still convinced that it comes down to where he was drafted. That was back at a time where we were not used to drafting high, so when we ended up with the 5th overall pick people were expecting the next homegrown superstar. We traded down instead of taking Filatov which pissed people off, then we passed on the big names like Boedker, Schenn, Beach, Hodgson and took Bailey instead, which pissed people off even more.

He was rushed to the show and struggled which made it easier for fans to turn on him. Then enter Tavares, a real star, and Bailey became an afterthought. Forget the fact that he steadily improved his overall game each year, including the point production which came during his more recent years.

He's still associated with A) unrealistic expectations of what a 10th overall pick should be, and B) dreams of "better" prospects that we passed on in favor of Bailey, who at the end of the day couldn't hold Bailey's jock.

Bails is a solid player who bleeds orange and blue. Happy to have him. Fortunately I think most fans have gotten the memo that this guy is a quality player for us.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Brad Marchand. 6.1mil

Josh Bailey 5 mil

Let that one sink in.
Not sure of your point here. We probably could've gotten Bailey's AAV lower like Marchand's if we included an NMC for 5 years plus a full NTC for the remainder on a contract that goes until he is 37. But personally I'd prefer Bailey's contract be at the slightly higher AAV he is at but having no trade restrictions on a contract that ends when he is 34. Both contracts make sense for the respective players.

Gleb2006

Aug 11, 2010
Brad Marchand. 6.1mil

Josh Bailey 5 mil

Let that one sink in.

contracts for cheaper with players (arguably) better than marchand:
kucherov 4.766 mil
barkov 5.9 mil

contracts with more $ for players performing less than bailey:
Lucic 6 mil
James neal 5.75 mil

let it sink in that you can pick and choose random contracts for comparison that are better and worse than others, not sure what your point is other than Marchand has a fantastic contract. Baileys is not bad at all

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad