Player Discussion: Josh Bailey

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
So why would NSH want to move him?

(corrected) Nashville has some cap space. He's hinted that he would go to the KHL. Expected arb award: 2yrs 1.8 Mil, BUT if the arbitrator is siding with Trenin that might be 2-2.2 mil. His last contract felt arb contentious,

Last edited:

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
This is his 2ND arb with Nashville. Most players don't survive 1 with their team. Nashville has some cap space. He's hinted that he would go to the KHL. Expected arb award: 2yrs 1.8 Mil, BUT if the arbitrator is siding with Trenin that might be 2-2.2 mil.

Also he's kinda blocking some of Nashville's OTHER forward prospects

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
The Isles should play him on the 3rd line and give his minutes to someone who actually brings some value to the team.

A top "9" forward? How about a "top 12" forward? Silly metric -- and I've never heard that used before unless its someone who is trying to justify Bailey.

He'd be fine on the third line - that is truly where he belongs in light of his talent, desire, and production level. I'd have no problem with him playing on 3 instead of taking top 6 minutes. And yea -- keep him on the PP too, as we know Josh's only true ability is passing. PP does a lot that.

Just REMOVING Bailey from the top 6 of the isles is an upgrade -- if we do that AND get Kadri then its an win/win.

F Bailey.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.” Attributed to Abraham Lincoln

A ranger's fan dream. Islander fans trolling our own veterans, despite having facts repeatedly refute baseless comments such as these. It has been posted many times that our team wins materially more when he is in the lineup than when he is out and his contributions, especially in the playoffs, are plain to see..

Last edited:

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.” Attributed to Abraham Lincoln

A ranger's fan dream. Islander fans trolling our own veterans, despite having facts repeatedly refute baseless comments such as this. It has been posted many times that our team wins materially more when he is in the lineup than when he is out and his contributions, especially in the playoffs, are plain to see..
He's like the good luck guy we had in softball. We'd tell him to strike out on purpose so he wouldn't hit into a double play thus contributing to our winning

Reactions: Bones45

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Pretty vanilla guy everyone wants to dump. Same total number of playoff games as the almighty Barzal over the same three years, yet he has one more point than him. 49/39 and 49/38.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Bailey is vanilla and could be better if he wasn’t a bonehead.

/end thread

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Every GM = “Bailey? We have plenty of guys like him. Skate in circles and play tons of games yet actually do very little? No thanks”

Reactions: Quickdraw2828

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Bailey was a MAJOR contributor to our back to back final four appearances.
I think we have different definitions of “major”.

The people who think Bailey is an asset to the isles or a top six player have been watching the Islanders too long. You are impressed with mediocrity.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Every GM = “Bailey? We have plenty of guys like him. Skate in circles and play tons of games yet actually do very little? No thanks”
Bailey is certainly no Josh Ho Sang. At the very least, you never had to ask yourself halfway through the second period “ is Josh Ho Sang a healthy scratch tonight ? “ With Bailey its the question for miinimum of 35 games a year. This should get things moving along .🤪

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I think we have different definitions of “major”.

The people who think Bailey is an asset to the isles or a top six player have been watching the Islanders too long. You are impressed with mediocrity.
I know you're just trolling, but whatever, I'll bite. How Is leading the team in scoring while also playing a defensively sound game not a major contribution?

Reactions: JKP

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
I know you're just trolling, but whatever, I'll bite. How Is leading the team in scoring while also playing a defensively sound game not a major contribution?

The context of my response was to a comment that JB was a "major contributor during our back to back final four appearances"

I'll ignore the cherry picking stats which every pro-Bailey doofus does. Lets forget about the months of absolute abhorrent play and "invisible games" where he's even lucky to get noticed on the ice.

Let's just use the extreme case of when the Isles overachieved and ran to the semis to years in a row. Lets just say we didn't have one line who was crushing it -- right? If I remember correctly -- we had all lines rolling and everyone was playing very well. Shit -- in order to get that deep into the playoffs -- with our roster -- we HAVE to have the whole team playing well. Not like we have a Kuch, McDavid, or Hedman playing for us, do we?

So yeah -- Bailey did play well didn't he!! The whole team did. You can look back and see this for yourself, but let me save you some time - I always have said that "Bailey goes as the team goes" -- the team plays well and all of a sudden Bailey is getting some points and seems to be in the right place at the right time. Yup. All of a sudden, he's not so horrible is he? Enjoy it while it lasts because..

as soon as the team goes cold -- the lines stop cycling -- they lose their momentum, teams figure out how to stop their speed and rush - and 4th line stops hitting and they are all out of sync.. Take a wild guess what happens.

Yup -- Bailey goes cold again. This is what happens with him. He doesn't drive play. He doesn't generate anything. He relies on the talent, skill, passion, and playmaking ability of others and then he'll put up some points. This is why he's a third liner. He brings nearly nothing to the offensive table aside from being a top notch passer.

So yea -- that the reason for my comment. If you are going to say he was a "major contributor during the playoffs" you need to put in a asterisk.

And watching him game after game after game -- Definitely wouldn't call him a "sound defensive" player either. He's soft and lazy and takes the easiest way out. Not that we can do this, but if we could get MJF to re-read every GDT we've had over the past several years and count the comments of how many boneheaded plays Bailey has made in his own zone, it would support my case.

So yea-- I have a different definition of "major contributor" to a team than perhaps you do. He's a third liner who generates barely any offensive threat in the O zone, and he's a weak pansy ass in his own zone.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
The context of my response was to a comment that JB was a "major contributor during our back to back final four appearances"

I'll ignore the cherry picking stats which every pro-Bailey doofus does. Lets forget about the months of absolute abhorrent play and "invisible games" where he's even lucky to get noticed on the ice.

Let's just use the extreme case of when the Isles overachieved and ran to the semis to years in a row. Lets just say we didn't have one line who was crushing it -- right? If I remember correctly -- we had all lines rolling and everyone was playing very well. Shit -- in order to get that deep into the playoffs -- with our roster -- we HAVE to have the whole team playing well. Not like we have a Kuch, McDavid, or Hedman playing for us, do we?

So yeah -- Bailey did play well didn't he!! The whole team did. You can look back and see this for yourself, but let me save you some time - I always have said that "Bailey goes as the team goes" -- the team plays well and all of a sudden Bailey is getting some points and seems to be in the right place at the right time. Yup. All of a sudden, he's not so horrible is he? Enjoy it while it lasts because..

as soon as the team goes cold -- the lines stop cycling -- they lose their momentum, teams figure out how to stop their speed and rush - and 4th line stops hitting and they are all out of sync.. Take a wild guess what happens.

Yup -- Bailey goes cold again. This is what happens with him. He doesn't drive play. He doesn't generate anything. He relies on the talent, skill, passion, and playmaking ability of others and then he'll put up some points. This is why he's a third liner. He brings nearly nothing to the offensive table aside from being a top notch passer.

So yea -- that the reason for my comment. If you are going to say he was a "major contributor during the playoffs" you need to put in a asterisk.

And watching him game after game after game -- Definitely wouldn't call him a "sound defensive" player either. He's soft and lazy and takes the easiest way out. Not that we can do this, but if we could get MJF to re-read every GDT we've had over the past several years and count the comments of how many boneheaded plays Bailey has made in his own zone, it would support my case.

So yea-- I have a different definition of "major contributor" to a team than perhaps you do. He's a third liner who generates barely any offensive threat in the O zone, and he's a weak pansy ass in his own zone.
Interesting colorful language in there👍

One question. Why would anyone voluntarily read several years of game day threads?

Wonder how long that would take and how many glasses of scotch and aspirin would be required!!

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise

That's a full page of mental gymnastics.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site

So, looking at his total points for the two playoff years we are discussing is too cherry picked to you? But somehow judging him exclusively by his cold streaks isn't cherry picking? Sounds more like you're just making excuses to dodge the question, considering you wrote all that and never at any point actually answered it. By the way, you do realize that if you applied the same logic to the rest of the team they're just as terrible as Bailey, right? By your own claim they went cold also.

You must be thrilled Trotz is gone, huh? Clearly he must not understand sound defensive play considering he regularly used Bailey when opposing teams pulled their goalies, on the PK and against opposing teams' top lines.

That's a full page of mental gymnastics.
Apparently we made back to back conference finals and the entire team played well, but no player did anything more than minor contributions.

Last edited:
Reactions: JKP

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Interesting colorful language in there👍

One question. Why would anyone voluntarily read several years of game day threads?

Wonder how long that would take and how many glasses of scotch and aspirin would be required!!
LOL.. That's why I volunteered MJF to do it. :)

• Haha
Reactions: Mike C

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
So, looking at his total points for the two playoff years we are discussing is too cherry picked to you? But somehow judging him exclusively by his cold streaks isn't cherry picking? Sounds more like you're just making excuses to dodge the question, considering you wrote all that and never at any point actually answered it. By the way, you do realize that if you applied the same logic to the rest of the team they're just as terrible as Bailey, right? By your own claim they went cold also.

You must be thrilled Trotz is gone, huh? Clearly he must not understand sound defensive play considering he regularly used Bailey when opposing teams pulled their goalies, on the PK and against opposing teams' top lines.

Apparently we made back to back conference finals and the entire team played well, but no player did anything more than minor contributions.

I judge Bailey on his entire resume. Every shift. Just because the team plays well and has success, Bailey fan boys decide THATS the two weeks they are going to judge his effort and worth to the team? Embarrassing.

You say "cold streaks" like that's a really thing for Bailey -- Cold streak IS Bailey. You are really sticking up for a "top 6" forward who never actually scores?

Re: your last paragraph -- this is hockey- where you can have a great team and you dont need to have one standout guy. Yeah -- "THE TEAM PLAYED WELL"

But don't you worry -- You can keep justifiyng that Bailey is a <puke> top 6 player in this league simply because you choose to look at a small two week window where he played well VS the way he typically plays in nearly every game.

<head desk>

and since this is like the 5th thread we've had on this assclown, its just me who feels this way? I think not.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I judge Bailey on his entire resume. Every shift. Just because the team plays well and has success, Bailey fan boys decide THATS the two weeks they are going to judge his effort and worth to the team? Embarrassing.

You say "cold streaks" like that's a really thing for Bailey -- Cold streak IS Bailey. You are really sticking up for a "top 6" forward who never actually scores?

Re: your last paragraph -- this is hockey- where you can have a great team and you dont need to have one standout guy. Yeah -- "THE TEAM PLAYED WELL"

But don't you worry -- You can keep justifiyng that Bailey is a <puke> top 6 player in this league simply because you choose to look at a small two week window where he played well VS the way he typically plays in nearly every game.

<head desk>

and since this is like the 5th thread we've had on this assclown, its just me who feels this way? I think not.
Explain how me using the stats for every single game of the two playoffs in question is looking at a two week time period? Or why looking at his play outside of those two playoffs is a better judge how of well he played during those two playoffs?

I will say, the lengths you'll go to in order to dodge answering the question is highly entertaining.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad