Player Discussion: Josh Bailey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
I still maintain that he needs a change of scenery. He's obviously got talent, but for whatever reason he just hasn't been able to put it together here. I'm all for patience, and that approach seems to have worked with Okposo, but with other prospects knocking at the door and Bailey being 25 and in his 6th season already, it may be time to move on.

Move him to a solid organization like Detroit and watch him blossom. Keep him here and he'll continue to fester.

Benedict Kovalchuk

Kovalchuk: A spy?
Jul 19, 2011
CASCADIA NOW
Bailey really, really frustrates me. Has all the skill to take over if he wants to, but rarely does. When he's not scoring he's useless, and that's fairly often. At least Grabner can still bring his speed and PK skills to the table when he's in a slump. I know people keep saying he'll put it together, but we're going on to his sixth season here....

He's not the most pressing issue on the team, but teams don't go deep or win big with players like Bailey in their top-6.

Space Herpe

Arch Duke of Raleigh
Aug 29, 2008
So to answer a question the OP asked; yes be was rushed and it pretty much destroyed him.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
The knock on Bailey in his draft year evaluation, fair or not IDK, was that he was talented but needed a kick in the ass from time to time.
Well fast forward to now and who doesn't think that the way Bailey plays he needs a kick in the ass daily?
Does he care or not about being as good a player as he can be? Not one of us knows what is going on in his head or his heart, we just see what is in front of us, a kid who looks like he goes up and down his wing, doing the minimum most of the time until he has an inspiration to flash his sparkle. Maybe he is that guy who just punches a clock and gets his paycheck, nothing more. There is no reason to believe he will turn a corner from what we can see. In fact, this season he has shown less caring, less passion than at any time I can remember. He has a dead look in his eyes, like he is dreaming of being on some wave, the Jeff Spicoli of hockey.
This is not a kid who is happy in his work, and I do not think a change of scenery will make the slightest difference.

BigWorm

Mar 10, 2013
The knock on Bailey in his draft year evaluation, fair or not IDK, was that he was talented but needed a kick in the ass from time to time.
Well fast forward to now and who doesn't think that the way Bailey plays he needs a kick in the ass daily?
Does he care or not about being as good a player as he can be? Not one of us knows what is going on in his head or his heart, we just see what is in front of us, a kid who looks like he goes up and down his wing, doing the minimum most of the time until he has an inspiration to flash his sparkle. Maybe he is that guy who just punches a clock and gets his paycheck, nothing more. There is no reason to believe he will turn a corner from what we can see. In fact, this season he has shown less caring, less passion than at any time I can remember. He has a dead look in his eyes, like he is dreaming of being on some wave, the Jeff Spicoli of hockey.
This is not a kid who is happy in his work, and I do not think a change of scenery will make the slightest difference.

That sums up Bailey as a player. He is what he is, and after 350+ NHL games I don't understand why people expect more out of him.

The contract is a different story.:help:

original islander

Oct 12, 2011

My assessment too. That is why he gets the criticism directed at him.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Yup, I agree. Still too early to give up on the guy.

We should all be thanking Garth for being patient with Okposo, cause i remember a LOT of people (myself included) were hoping to see the guy get traded for whatever we could get - Clutterbuck was a name that came up quite often actually lol
Good thing I'm not the GM lol

But yea anyways, Bailey has all the skills, smarts, size to be a really good player. We've all seen it all come together in short flashes, just like we've seen from KO in years previous. KO eventually came around, i believe Baileys gonna do the same.

Some idiot made a post last year about Okposo and how it may be time to "part ways" with him. This guy is the worst poster on the board and complete imbecile!

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1333225

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I just can't stand him because while Grabner is struggling this year, he's still contributing.

Okposo had a serious shoulder injury and when he wasn't putting up points he was still trying.

Bailey enjoys floating, coasting and not caring.

I really think he needs 3-5 games in the press box. With his contract there are no potential moves to be had. Sit out a week or a week and a half and take notice of what needs to be done.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
I agree that he is frustrating as hell but I don't get the hate and those saying he is invisible or coasts.. he is an excellent positional player and does a lot away from the puck.. I don't ever think he disappears, he is still contributing even when he doesn't score.… maybe I have blinders on but I watch him live at every home game and he is always involved in the play, he always picks up for the defenders when they pinch.. the frustrating part is his turnovers and trying to do too much.. he makes the cute passes rather than the basic play when it is all that is needed… and his confidence just seems to be shot, fragile ego maybe, but shoot the puck for pete's sake Josh…

I get the feeling they will trade him and another coach will bring out his talents and he will wind up being a pretty good player somewhere else..

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I'm sick of hearing how he was rushed.... Sooner or later Bailey needs to play like a grown man instead of like a child. Boo hoo you were rushed, you got a great contract and this is how you repay the organization.

Big fan of his talents but he looks like a future PMB, all we can do is wait and see with him.

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
LMAO HAHAHA THIS THREAD WILL NOT END WELL.

I see some defenders of Josh Barely and ill simply laugh at you and say that he is the biggest bust we have and the fact that he is making millions while 8% of Americans are unemployed and a giant portion live below the poverty line is the reason why I will never care for athletes. I dont care how nice of a guy he is.. Josh Bailey should be paying us to watch him play.

So yeah.. I dont really care for Josh Bailey and for a great laugh follow his parody on twitter - https://twitter.com/JoshBarely

So please quote me and defend Josh Bailey and I will reply back simply by laughing at you like Daniel Plainview - YOUR FOOOOLISH!!!

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
So to answer a question the OP asked; yes be was rushed and it pretty much destroyed him.

It's quite possible, and IMO pretty likely, that he just wasn't very good to begin with.

bailey signs a contract thread:

Wow. A lot of pie in the sky stuff in there.

Bailey enjoys floating, coasting and not caring. .

Really? I don't see that at all. I know the concept of "he doesn't care" is a fall-back cliche when it comes to sports fans (because we do care), but come on now. He just looks like a guy that's just an average player who seems to have confidence issues.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Really? I don't see that at all. I know the concept of "he doesn't care" is a fall-back cliche when it comes to sports fans (because we do care), but come on now. He just looks like a guy that's just an average player who seems to have confidence issues.

Absolutely, does his system route, stick usually at the waist with fly-by's every shift. Not the Frans Nielsen stick in the passing lane fly-by's but the stick at the waist coming towards you. Going through the motions. Actually, to be fair he has been better lately and it shows statistically but this wasn't the case for the most of the season. Butch even got on Josh one shift in, I think, the West coast trip. Oh it was brutal, just on the ice watching, a fans dream.

Confidence is his biggest issue though. But I don't like the idea that he could potentially dominate a game. He had one game where he and Blake Comeau ***** slapped the Rangers when JT was out and that's the extent of it.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I am not a Bailey defender ir critic. Just spitballing, wondering what the isles can do to help him play more consistently.

We have seen how a sports phychologist helped Okposo. ROR + Nino both work with Life Coaches.
I would like to see the isles hire a sports phychologist or Life Coach for Bailey.

The kid has so much skill . Since the isles have already made a big commitment to him with that 5 yr extension, they may as well go a step further. Hire someone to work closely with him, monitoring his diet, monitoring his workout habits.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
It's quite possible, and IMO pretty likely, that he just wasn't very good to begin with.

Wow. A lot of pie in the sky stuff in there.

I definitely don't see him not caring. I see him afraid to take a shot, making second guesses, too many passes, not hitting and not fully immersing himself in the game. A KID. Someone who was rushed in and did not mature.

A prime candidate to have a career rebirth on another team....though the longer we wait to trade him, the lower his ceiling.

He has no confidence....like you said. He certainly has talent in three zones. BOY it would be nice if the Isles got quality vets.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I still maintain that he needs a change of scenery. He's obviously got talent, but for whatever reason he just hasn't been able to put it together here. I'm all for patience, and that approach seems to have worked with Okposo, but with other prospects knocking at the door and Bailey being 25 and in his 6th season already, it may be time to move on.

Move him to a solid organization like Detroit and watch him blossom. Keep him here and he'll continue to fester.

I think a change of scenery would do him very well, as long as it was to a real organization. Then Islanders fans would regret trading him.

Bailey really, really frustrates me. Has all the skill to take over if he wants to, but rarely does. When he's not scoring he's useless, and that's fairly often. At least Grabner can still bring his speed and PK skills to the table when he's in a slump. I know people keep saying he'll put it together, but we're going on to his sixth season here....

He's not the most pressing issue on the team, but teams don't go deep or win big with players like Bailey in their top-6.

Bailey is good in all three zones. He can PK as well, he also is very defensively aware...not sure what player you're watching.

And this team won last year down the stretch with Bailey producing, on both the 2nd and 1st line going into the playoffs and during the playoffs. My oh my what short memories people have.

I think he's fragile mentally and I don't think he doesn't want to be in the NHL or with the Islanders (why would he have wanted to stay here if that was the case). Personally I think he'd flourish if we had a real coach who doesn't just talk about bounces and working hard each game. He's got a high hockey IQ and it's not being utilized.

I agree that he is frustrating as hell but I don't get the hate and those saying he is invisible or coasts.. he is an excellent positional player and does a lot away from the puck.. I don't ever think he disappears, he is still contributing even when he doesn't score.… maybe I have blinders on but I watch him live at every home game and he is always involved in the play, he always picks up for the defenders when they pinch.. the frustrating part is his turnovers and trying to do too much.. he makes the cute passes rather than the basic play when it is all that is needed… and his confidence just seems to be shot, fragile ego maybe, but shoot the puck for pete's sake Josh…

I get the feeling they will trade him and another coach will bring out his talents and he will wind up being a pretty good player somewhere else..

Great post. Most people have hate blinders on when they evaluate players because they care most about the stat sheet.

I am not a Bailey defender ir critic. Just spitballing, wondering what the isles can do to help him play more consistently.

We have seen how a sports phychologist helped Okposo. ROR + Nino both work with Life Coaches.
I would like to see the isles hire a sports phychologist or Life Coach for Bailey.

The kid has so much skill . Since the isles have already made a big commitment to him with that 5 yr extension, they may as well go a step further. Hire someone to work closely with him, monitoring his diet, monitoring his workout habits.

I'd re-iterate what I said above about a coach, though I don't think a sports psychologist could hurt his game. Is there any way for us to know whether or not he has seen one or has been seeing one? I'm not sure they always make that sort of stuff public.

lacunacoil777

Feb 11, 2013
Here's my problem with bailey. Besides for drafting him which was a waste, he is getting millions they could of gave to Pa paranteu. Bailey is a 12 goal a year type who plays flag hockey instead of hard nose nasty NHL hockey. That's ok if your name is Turgeon or Pallfy. Not if your only scoring 12 goals a year. Never been a fan never will be. If he has one lucky year in his life and hits 22 goals that doesn't change anything.

Isles75

Jan 29, 2007
Long Island
First the obvious. When Baily was drafted, he had a year of juniors eligibility left. That should have been utilized by Snow. Becasue in 2008, NO ONE, short of a true elite player—Think Potvin, Gretzky, Crosby, etc.—was gonna have an impact for this team.

Then of course, once Baily was promoted to the big show, we have never provided him with the right type of coach to bring him along. If fact, ALL our prospects have been effected by this, to some extent, Tavares too.

Something that always gets mentioned by all the great Islanders and Oilers dynasty players is this: Arbour and Sather were like 2nd fathers to those players. They learned rules, structure, discipline and to be on time etc. They learned life rules as well as the basics of hockey from those men. Here it's always been a free for all. Guys who have been in the NHL 3, 4 years plus, still making the simplest of mistakes. Mistakes that wouldn't keep happening on a team coached by much better coaches.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
I have been a Bailey supporter since he has come into the NHL, he has had some great streaks that really show some potential, and it looked like he was turning into a great defensive forward that could put up some decent numbers. That being said, I am done with this kid, the Snow regime has destroyed him. He hasn't received proper time to develop, dealt with inept coaches for his entire career, and his game has regressed. Its to bad, if he were drafted by a different team I think he really could have flourished.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad