Player Discussion: Josh Bailey

Status
Not open for further replies.

startainfection*

I love the improvements in Bailey's game. He's a big asset to the team and arguably the second most skilled player on the team, next to Tavares.

Bailey is good in his own zone, very smart player. His two way game is important and would be valuable to any team.
He's got hands that can make plays happen. He really is improving and it's exciting to watch.

Bailey will most likely be a 55-70 point scorer. I don't see him having 80.. That's a bit too high, but he will be an above average and one of the top 2nd line centers in the game.

why do people think bailey will ever go back to being a center?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Well ya, that's the sexy play. He rather dish it off for the chance to get a nice backdoor empty net, rather than try to sneak through the goalie. That move last night on the blueline was an improvement, because although he may have thought pass, Bailey of yesteryear, would have passed and not tried to shoot it, like Bailey yesterday.

If you're talking about that being a sexy play, than I'll agree.

Okposo has 6 points in 7 games this season. Looks to be playing with toughness.

You can "hate his game" right now, but the numbers don't lie.

Sure they do. Boyes couldn't land a job for the longest time despite having great numbers for him last season.

He's been pretty poor with his play. The best he looked was last game and when the game before got a little nasty. He plays best when he's angry, but he's not a great decision maker with the puck.

His assist on JT's goal last game was a direct result of him making a poor passing play and it was tipped to JT.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I actually meant winger, error on my fault. I actually don't ever want him back on C. Believe it or not, he seems a lot more comfortable on wing.

I've always had high hopes for Bailey, the kid is very skilled and he's really developed a very well rounded skillset. When he was drafted, his projection was that of a well rounded #2C. Yes, he has looked better on the wing yet he has the requisite skillset to still be a good #2C IMO. The problem with him has always been an issue with confidence. The Isles really did him no favors in his development and he got exposed. His flashes of brilliance have always been a big tease because we all see his skill level, but he just could never put it all together. His cameo as the #1C when Tavares was out with his whiplash, he was awesome.

Moving to the wing has taken time, but it has benefited him greatly. It forced him to simplify his game and he is definitely shooting more. He was injured to start last season and when he hit his stride, he's been solid ever since. He performed admirably in the playoffs on the 1st line. He has total stability now and he's fully healthy. He got his contract and has a defined role. He's essentially the player that he was advertised to be on draft day in his skillset. Actually, if you add in his versatility then he was a good pick in hindsight. Bailey's game has 'matured' and he's not the same player he was 2 years ago. I'm not saying he should be moved back to center because that ship has sailed, but the confident Bailey we're all seeing today is a lot more prepared/capable to be that #2C that we all wanted. On an emergency basis due to injury or whatever, I'd be confident in Bailey's ability to fill in back at center.

I do love the chemistry he has with Frans. They've been very effective together, they need that other winger though. I would love to see Nelson get a crack instead of PMB. I think his skillset would fit better with them.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I do love the chemistry he has with Frans. They've been very effective together, they need that other winger though. I would love to see Nelson get a crack instead of PMB. I think his skillset would fit better with them.

I fully expect that PMB will get a crack, probably from going into the boards...

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Bailey's versatility makes him invaluable. He has experience playing all the forward positions and has a well rounded game which allows him to slot anywhere in the lineup. He does look best on the wing, but I think he could still do well if he had to play the pivot again. He knows he belongs now and his confidence is soaring, he's proven he's a high character kid with everything that he's had to go through. I'm very confident that he's finally turned the corner. His contract could compare very favorably with how JT's is viewed by pretty much everyone... highway robbery.
Love what I am seeing from Bails right now, the growth of confidence to allow his abilites to come out. Without using his special skills of vision and creativity, puck movement and handling in the offensive zone, Bails is just very mediocre.
He is an averge sized player with average speed, average strength. He plays good not great defense, plays well away from the puck, but nothing outstanding. It is his ability to create offense that sts him aside if he can use that ability on a consistant basis. His shot is NHL quality, he releases it quickly enough, but he has to be more instinctual about shooting when he has a lane. With the right linemates andcontinued growth in self confidence he could be a very good 2nd line winger, or perhaps a complimentary 1st line winger to a couple of top shelf stars.

Poulin 0n My St1ck

Oct 18, 2010
20-25 years from now (when the lease in Brooklyn expires), #12 will be retired with #91 in the rafters (with a few other numbers likely on their way too).

You heard it here first.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
Funny thing is, my fiance and I named our rescue puppy after Bailey. Just the flashes Josh has shown through the years always leaves you wondering WHY IS HE NOT DOING THIS NIGHT IN AND NIGHT OUT?

Like some have mentioned, when Bailey was asked to be "the guy" due to JT's injury. Josh was out of this world awesome. Then for whatever reason seemed to be comfortable falling into the shadows.

Regardless, if Josh keeps up the play we say against the Oilers we will be some happy fans.

startainfection*

Funny thing is, my fiance and I named our rescue puppy after Bailey. Just the flashes Josh has shown through the years always leaves you wondering WHY IS HE NOT DOING THIS NIGHT IN AND NIGHT OUT?

Like some have mentioned, when Bailey was asked to be "the guy" due to JT's injury. Josh was out of this world awesome. Then for whatever reason seemed to be comfortable falling into the shadows.

Regardless, if Josh keeps up the play we say against the Oilers we will be some happy fans.

its all about confidence with bailey

scott99

May 13, 2005
I love the improvements in Bailey's game. He's a big asset to the team and arguably the second most skilled player on the team, next to Tavares.

Bailey is good in his own zone, very smart player. His two way game is important and would be valuable to any team.
He's got hands that can make plays happen. He really is improving and it's exciting to watch.

Bailey will most likely be a 55-70 point scorer. I don't see him having 80.. That's a bit too high, but he will be an above average and one of the top 2nd line centers in the game.

I think this is spot on. I was one of those Bailey haters, thank god I'm not the Isles gm. He is maturing and coming into his own, AND playing with a lot of confidence. That move against the Oilers that almost got him another goal last night was very Tavares-esque. You have to have a ton of confidence to pull that off. Also I think Bailey and Nielsen have a ton of chemistry, they are both helping each other play their best hockey ever.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
20-25 years from now (when the lease in Brooklyn expires), #12 will be retired with #91 in the rafters (with a few other numbers likely on their way too).

You heard it here first.

This is probably the last you will hear of it. Of the numbers in the current rafters(excluding Billy Smith because of his position), Bob Nystrom had 101 goals after 5 years(including 1 in his 11 game rookie year-30 in his 6th(5th full) season, Gillies 162, Potvin 124-I am not even going to add up Trottier and Bossy numbers. Josh had 58 after 5 years.
Josh is in the supporting character category, always will be.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
I can't believe this is his 6th nhl season already. He turned 19 when his rookie year began. Did we hurt him by starting him up on Long Island way to soon. He showed a great flash was it last year right out of the gate for about I'm guessing 5-10 games then got hurt.i just want to shake this kid to wake him up.
Does he not want to be a hockey player when he grows up? Is he the puppy that was taken from the mother at birth without bonding? Back at Windsor his draft year his stats look o.k. But i won't pretend I ever saw him play at that level. Watching a kid like niño go to the ahl for a year and Brock Nelson do the same may have been the right decision although the results will be years ahead to compare. Did Bailey need to go back to junior then the bridge just like strome? Would Bailey have had the same hype if he never saw the nhl until mid season 2010-11 instead of 08? This kid is only 24. He could play 15 more seasons. Is he destined to be a ( I hate to say) poor mans tim Connolly ( is that even possible?) or will he be a late bloomer? Will he justify his contract extension by helping his team instead of being josh barely? At 19 he scored 7-18-25 in 69 games. This season he is 4-9-13 in 37 games. Without doing the math ok let's double the 37 games and give him 26 points in 74 games. That almost the same as his first year. Has he peaked ? Is he a hockey player because it pays well? When you see him on the bench or on the ice the impression I get( jmo) is he is disinterested.Anyone agree? Disagree? If he is a bust why the new contract? I would like nothing more then to see this kid achieve a level of success on this team. Put up some numbers, build his confidence. This is one kid that I think a little bit of a chip on his shoulder maybe a little arrogance would push him. I don't know ,I am just a fan of this team. To strive for mediocrity is a recipe for failure. Let's go josh bailey and let's go islanders!

original islander

Oct 12, 2011
I can't believe this is his 6th nhl season already. He turned 19 when his rookie year began. Did we hurt him by starting him up on Long Island way to soon. He showed a great flash was it last year right out of the gate for about I'm guessing 5-10 games then got hurt.i just want to shake this kid to wake him up.
Does he not want to be a hockey player when he grows up? Is he the puppy that was taken from the mother at birth without bonding? Back at Windsor his draft year his stats look o.k. But i won't pretend I ever saw him play at that level. Watching a kid like niño go to the ahl for a year and Brock Nelson do the same may have been the right decision although the results will be years ahead to compare. Did Bailey need to go back to junior then the bridge just like strome? Would Bailey have had the same hype if he never saw the nhl until mid season 2010-11 instead of 08? This kid is only 24. He could play 15 more seasons. Is he destined to be a ( I hate to say) poor mans tim Connolly ( is that even possible?) or will he be a late bloomer? Will he justify his contract extension by helping his team instead of being josh barely? At 19 he scored 7-18-25 in 69 games. This season he is 4-9-13 in 37 games. Without doing the math ok let's double the 37 games and give him 26 points in 74 games. That almost the same as his first year. Has he peaked ? Is he a hockey player because it pays well? When you see him on the bench or on the ice the impression I get( jmo) is he is disinterested.Anyone agree? Disagree? If he is a bust why the new contract? I would like nothing more then to see this kid achieve a level of success on this team. Put up some numbers, build his confidence. This is one kid that I think a little bit of a chip on his shoulder maybe a little arrogance would push him. I don't know ,I am just a fan of this team. To strive for mediocrity is a recipe for failure. Let's go josh bailey and let's go islanders!

I know that it may seem like cruel and unusual punishment but I think that the organization needs to take his Xbox away. He only focuses for about 3-6 games after being placed in a new situation and then there is no passion after that.

The problem isn't that he was rushed, the problem is that he has no fire in his belly to play the game. A coach shouldn't have to be on his back all the time. He should give up hockey and play video games and go skateboarding all day long. He'll give you a glimpse of what he could be and then he'll break your heart every time. A complete waste of talent and it's all on him, no one else.

BigWorm

Mar 10, 2013
This thread will surely end well, especially since he was called Josh Barely. :shakehead

BigWorm

Mar 10, 2013
Last year it was Okposo, this year it's Bailey, next year JT?

I think he is trying, just nothing is falling his way. Don't get all the hate.

Trust me, I'm not in the Josh Bailey fan club I just thought it was disservice to refer to him as Barely.

I think it was the worst contract Garth ever handed out, if for no other reason it was to a wildly inconsistent player that we still held the rights to for another season.

I wonder how Josh would be playing this year if he was a RFA at the end of the season? Because right now and throughout his career he never earned his current contract.

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
Last year it was Okposo, this year it's Bailey, next year JT?

I think he is trying, just nothing is falling his way. Don't get all the hate.

Yup, I agree. Still too early to give up on the guy.

We should all be thanking Garth for being patient with Okposo, cause i remember a LOT of people (myself included) were hoping to see the guy get traded for whatever we could get - Clutterbuck was a name that came up quite often actually lol
Good thing I'm not the GM lol

But yea anyways, Bailey has all the skills, smarts, size to be a really good player. We've all seen it all come together in short flashes, just like we've seen from KO in years previous. KO eventually came around, i believe Baileys gonna do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad