Proposal: Josh Anderson to Philadelphia

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
The upside is getting a 20 goal, 40 point power forward essentially for free, hockey-asset wise.
5.875m is not free using the cap in 2024.

The 5m dollar decision is Sean Walker. Not Josh Anderson. And I hope the flyers trade and say no there as well.

Spargon

May 31, 2019
I get that some habs fans want to move on from Anderson, but the reality is that there is no rush to do so. He's not stealing a roster spot from anyone and MTL does not need the cap space anytime soon. He's well liked in the lockerroom and he likes MTL. So why pay now to get rid of him or take another bad contract in the process?

Patience here is the only logical path forward and it give you 3 better options then a bad trade: 1- he revives his career (unlikely), he injured himself (LTIR) or with less years left, you can think of a buyout if you really need him out.
There isn't anything to 'revive' he's been a consistent 25-32 point player his whole career except the one outlier season with a whopping 47pts that fans like to pretend was his normal

Reactions: Flyer lurker

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Lets say we forgot about the contract and the recent level of play, did OP look at Philly’s rw options in-house? Too many already. Not even talking about best upcoming forwards also rws: Brink and Tuomaala. Plus you know who in KHL.

forget about Anderson to Philly

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
There isn't anything to 'revive' he's been a consistent 25-32 point player his whole career except the one outlier season with a whopping 47pts that fans like to pretend was his normal
And like the poster has said we have no need to trade him. He doesn't hurt us.
We will ride him out and keep our assets. C-ya.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
I do not think I have any interest unless I see 1st round pick and some salary is going back... Atkinson and Deslauriers. I think Trots can work with Anderson..

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
Flyers <-- Anderson, Primeau

Habs <-- Deslauriers, Petersen
I think I could get behind this in all honesty. Habs save a year with 2yrs remaining on Petersen. Primeau shows glimpses of play but still inconsistent for me to be a starter. The Habs get a tough guy who can help the young guys.

I think Allen still gets moved, plus there was talks of maybe interest in Zegras in Anaheim though likely rumours this would open a spot for a big move Zegras and allow us to move Allen. Have a tough guy in the locker room who can chip in and play in Deslauriers. The Quebec aspect helps as well. Because if the Habs were looking to move Savard , they’d have Gignac, Roy, Matheson, Montembeault, RHP, and then Deslauriers still in lineup. Which the fan base doesn’t require but the media is key on that.

The pros for Philly, like most saying here Torts gets the most out of Anderson again and play that physical fast style of the flyers. Plus add Primeau and give him a chance to thrive and see if he and Ersson can be a duo in net.

Last edited:

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Flyers fan here.

Why would you put this out into the universe???
Because Philly is maybe the one place I could see Anderson returning to form. Based on what some Flyers fans have expressed, it would be hard to find a fit since positionally the Flyers and Habs would be going against the grain and adding to positions of strength by flipping the only contract that would make sense (Ristolainen).

Thanks to those fans who looked at this as "a problem to solve" (and explained why it wasn't solvable, in a constructive manner).

All the Habs fans on this site were turning down 1sts saying he was worth more, chalk up another OOF in their list of fails
All of us ? Every last one of us ? Can you back that up somehow ?

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
leafs coulsdd use anderson
If you're a Leafs fan, your sampling is likely to be biased - Anderson seems to always play very well against the Leafs.

That being said, if there's a way Toronto could fit him under the cap without retention, I'd be all ears.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Makes no sense at all for Philly.

Overpaid, underperformed, long cap hit.

Konecny, Tippett, Atkinson, Foerster, Brink, Hathaway, Michkov on the way.

No need for a RW AT ALL, let alone one signed for long term and a high cap hit. Hell the Flyers have 5 RW'ers outscoring JA right now and that's with Brink splitting time in the AHL.

Anyone doing a trade with Philly, it's a C or LW they would want back.

Reality is, JA to Philly makes no sense whatsoever in terms of need, contract length, cap hit, age, position, durability, risk/reward. He really is the last thing the FLYERS need.

Last edited:
Reactions: FlyguyOX

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
he shouldnt be getting paid much more than a guy like miles wood, $2.5m. so even if you fully retain on josh anderson he shouldnt get more than a mid round pick in return.

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
ANDERSON? start with 2 1st rounders and be ready to add. I am only interested in trading when habs get vastly overpaid for any trade. I dont give a dammmmm about what you want, Jeeez I sound like a leaf fan, yikes.

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
What a bizarre thread.

Do you want to give us something for our junk, in the hopes he won’t be an anchor for you?

No.

Fine, we’ll keep him!!!

Okay…?

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Their incentive is the expectation that they can make Anderson perform up to expectations, he had his best seasons with Tortorella, and is available for cheap (in terms of hockey assets) while moving out a bad contract or two.

You're right, while I'm growing tired of Anderson, I can't see Montreal giving up any assets of any significance to move on from him.
Haven't Montreal been trying unload Anderson for awhile, or is this just something that Habs HF post & talk about frequently?

The other question, is what are the Flyer's goals this deadline? Are they really trying to do something in the playoffs, or are they still rebuilding? That's a question for Flyer fans obviously as Anderson is still under contract until the end of the 2026-27 season. I guess I'm trying to figure out why the Flyers would want to make a trade for Anderson?

LegionOfGloom

Jun 9, 2021
Haven't Montreal been trying unload Anderson for awhile, or is this just something that Habs HF post & talk about frequently?

The other question, is what are the Flyer's goals this deadline? Are they really trying to do something in the playoffs, or are they still rebuilding? That's a question for Flyer fans obviously as Anderson is still under contract until the end of the 2026-27 season. I guess I'm trying to figure out why the Flyers would want to make a trade for Anderson?
They wouldn't because even if they were trying to compete (they're not), Anderson doesn't help this. It's not any more complicated than a homer fan trying to concoct some justification for dumping one of the leagues worst contracts for nothing.

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
Pts are not the only thing in life. He was very effective on the forecheck and was physical presence. For him to be of value, he needs to return to that level of play more then to become a 60pts producers. if he does, he would remain overpaid, but useful to a team.

Reactions: pth2

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
They wouldn't because even if they were trying to compete (they're not), Anderson doesn't help this. It's not any more complicated than a homer fan trying to concoct some justification for dumping one of the leagues worst contracts for nothing.
Yes, I get that the Montreal fan (the OP) just wants to get rid of Anderson. If I understand your response, you're saying the Flyers are still rebuilding (retooling if you prefer that term) and aren't trying to make a push in this season's playoffs - correct?

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
I think I could get behind this in all honesty. Habs save a year with 2yrs remaining on Petersen. Primeau shows glimpses of play but still inconsistent for me to be a starter. The Habs get a tough guy who can help the young guys.

I think Allen still gets moved, plus there was talks of maybe interest in Zegras in Anaheim though likely rumours this would open a spot for a big move Zegras and allow us to move Allen. Have a tough guy in the locker room who can chip in and play in Deslauriers. The Quebec aspect helps as well. Because if the Habs were looking to move Savard , they’d have Gignac, Roy, Matheson, Montembeault, RHP, and then Deslauriers still in lineup. Which the fan base doesn’t require but the media is key on that.

The pros for Philly, like most saying here Torts gets the most out of Anderson again and play that physical fast style of the flyers. Plus add Primeau and give him a chance to thrive and see if he and Ersson can be a duo in net.
you are maybe reading the Tortorella’s angle wrong. He traded Anderson the year before he was fired from Columbus

Main reason was JA was looking for long-term deal. JA scored 1 goal, 4 pts in 26 games previous season and got major injury. No way he was signing him long term. Found someone who would. Why would he want him back halfway through his 7 yr deal when first 4 yrs didnt go too well? For Primeau?

got Domi and a 3rd (slovak Knazko who played on Natl team with Mesar, Nemec, Slaf)

Philly gave away their 7th pick so Habs could take Primeau who went from steal of the draft cant miss prospect to .884 3rd goalie 7 years later.

LegionOfGloom

Jun 9, 2021
Yes, I get that the Montreal fan (the OP) just wants to get rid of Anderson. If I understand your response, you're saying the Flyers are still rebuilding (retooling if you prefer that term) and aren't trying to make a push in this season's playoffs - correct?
If you take them at their word, correct.

Reactions: captainpaxil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad