Proposal: Josh Anderson to Philadelphia

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Haven't Montreal been trying unload Anderson for awhile, or is this just something that Habs HF post & talk about frequently?

The other question, is what are the Flyer's goals this deadline? Are they really trying to do something in the playoffs, or are they still rebuilding? That's a question for Flyer fans obviously as Anderson is still under contract until the end of the 2026-27 season. I guess I'm trying to figure out why the Flyers would want to make a trade for Anderson?
Getting the feeling ufas like Seeler and Walker only stay if the offers are too low. Not sure its because they want to get in the playoffs.

Picking 17th (lowest first-round loser) or 16th (best out of playoffs) isnt a big thing.

Not buying thats for sure. Not going after underwhelming old guys with term. That would be Anderson.

Now if OP wants to look at the Briere angle, maybe he should look at the Provorov deal. Getting a 1st, two 2nds, 2 prospects, Walker and Petersen. Then taking Anderson might be worth discussing.

Philadelphia Ducks

Win it for Ed
May 8, 2011
Ontario, Canada
We aren't taking a bum player at 5.5mil for 3.5 more years in pure HOPE that he goes back to the only year he was good. If you retained then sure it would be worth the risk maybe. No one is going to gamble that much money and term on a player that hasn't looked remotely like his old self in many years.

Reactions: Curufinwe

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Now if OP wants to look at the Briere angle, maybe he should look at the Provorov deal. Getting a 1st, two 2nds, 2 prospects, Walker and Petersen. Then taking Anderson might be worth discussing.
Absolutely no interest in giving up futures to get rid of him, might as wel keep him and hope things turn around for him.

Reactions: JRichard

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
If you take them at their word, correct.
Yes, it's been hard for me to understand what the Flyers strategy is, and thought I heard something recently. I still thought I'd ask and seek more info seeing as how I was unclear about this subject.

Reactions: Lt Dan

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Guess they should have traded him when they were getting offers of a 1st round pick for him

Lebrun is usually a good source on habs matters. Obviously something was missing from his report, ie the poison pill the habs would have had to swallow to make the trade happen, such as a worse contract than Anderson’s and/or maximum retention.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
The NHL really needs a "loan" arrangement like in football. It really would help some of these bad contracts to have a chance at playing properly again.

Reactions: NitHeel

Dfence033

Nov 24, 2009
Texas
That's not really true. While certainly imperfect, he had:

20-21: 17 goals in 52 games ~ 27 goals
21-22: 19 goals in 69 games ~ 23 goals
22-23: 21 goals in 69 games ~ 25 goals

Given Montreal's power play over that period, those goals are 5-on-5 too. All of that aligns with the 27 he scored in 18-19 playing for Tortorella. And that's really the connect here.

Montreal would be in a sell-low position here. It would be out of character for HuGo to make a move from that position. They don't NEED to move him, as they're not in a big cap crunch. However, I'd be inclined to retain as much as 50% (instead of taking a contract back) for a good return. He's easily worth more than $2.75 million.

Jeannot got $2.665 million a year in a no state tax state after one 20g season. Given Anderson's goal production before this season, I'd say he's a $3.5-4 million player in Florida. Factor in the taxes, and his salary isn't far-fetched. That said, teams overpay for big bodies that can skate all the time.

Tampa paid far too much for Jeannot. Even if he was only making 800k, he only had 5 goals at the time of the trade. Trade deadlines do funny things to teams when there's a bidding war.

2023 3rd, 4th and 5th round picks
2024 2nd round pick
2025 1st round pick (top ten protected)

Retention and an expiring contract? I'd better see some of the above, otherwise we'll ride it out until we need the space. HuGo aren't big game hunting yet.

Including Anderson's clear outlier season, he has performed at a 20 goal, 35 point pace per 82 games over more than 500 NHL games. You point to pace during injured seasons, but his entire career shows he is a 20g/35p player if he stays healthy (which he doesn't). He is going to be 30 by the end of the season, has 3 years left at $5.5M caphit, and is currently putting together an 11 goal, 23 point pace.

At the time of the trade, Jeannot averaged 16 goals and 33 points in his NHL career, was a 24 year old coming off his most recent completed season scoring 24 goals and 41 points, and being an upcoming RFA. Everyone knew that was a severe overpay in the trade the second it was announced, but signed to a 2 year contract (ends sooner than Anderson's) at $2.66M per year (less than half of Anderson's).

I can't believe I'm defending both Tampa AND Philly here, but these are nowhere near comparable players, contracts, or situations at the time if proposed trades. If Montreal doesn't want to give up assets or retain 50% to move him, Anderson is on the team for at least another 3 years, excepting a buyout or retirement.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Trust me, I have just as hard of a time understanding their strategy as you.
Do you mean Fletcher bc all Briere has done is:
Buying out TdA and Hayes
Signing Hathaway
Dealing Provorov
moving Gauthier
Resigning Tippett, Poehling, Frost

i can blame him for not trading JVR.

Maybe i missed more?

Been only 1 year of new regime.
Playoffs a possibility

lost starting goalie.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Lebrun is usually a good source on habs matters. Obviously something was missing from his report, ie the poison pill the habs would have had to swallow to make the trade happen, such as a worse contract than Anderson’s and/or maximum retention.
Definitely would need to be some kind of incentive to take on that contract.

LegionOfGloom

Jun 9, 2021
Do you mean Fletcher bc all Briere has done is:
Buying out TdA and Hayes
Signing Hathaway
Dealing Provorov
moving Gauthier
Resigning Tippett, Poehling, Frost

i can blame him for not trading JVR.

Maybe i missed more?

Been only 1 year of new regime.
Playoffs a possibility

lost starting goalie.
I mean Briere. He's been in charge for almost a year now and all he has done is move out the people who Torts demanded be gone or people who wanted out (Provy, Gauthier). Not sure how that's a rebuild especially when the result of what's he done in the last year is to make it drastically more difficult to acquire the high end talent he said was the point of the rebuild.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
I mean Briere. He's been in charge for almost a year now and all he has done is move out the people who Torts demanded be gone or people who wanted out (Provy, Gauthier). Not sure how that's a rebuild especially when the result of what's he done in the last year is to make it drastically more difficult to acquire the high end talent he said was the point of the rebuild.
What he did was supposed to make the Flyers weaker now and better later on. Well it didnt happen this way: they are better now AND they have more futures.

not sure how this is a negative.

Forgot the Staal signing which was weird.

who else?

not trading old guys like Staal, Risto, Atkinson?
not trading top guys like TK?
not playing Brink and Andrae?

I dont believe in wanting to lose most games just to draft better talent. And repeat for a couple of seasons in a row. Thought we got high-end talent when we « won » the lottery and picked Patrick. Him and Hischier were 1-2, 2-1 on 99% of lists.

He went for high-end talent with Michkov. Could have traded down and didnt.

LegionOfGloom

Jun 9, 2021
What he did was supposed to make the Flyers weaker now and better later on. Well it didnt happen this way: they are better now AND they have more futures.

not sure how this is a negative.

Forgot the Staal signing which was weird.

who else?

not trading old guys like Staal, Risto, Atkinson?
not trading top guys like TK?
not playing Brink and Andrae?

I dont believe in wanting to lose most games just to draft better talent. And repeat for a couple of seasons in a row. Thought we got high-end talent when we « won » the lottery and picked Patrick. Him and Hischier were 1-2, 2-1 on 99% of lists.

He went for high-end talent with Michkov. Could have traded down and didnt.
You're kidding me right. It's the same team that has not been good enough for years, So rebuild complete? I guess we were just one Michkov away from contending this whole time.

And since your definition of rebuilding is simply not trading down when it is time to make your first round selection, I guess 98% of NHL teams are rebuilding. Honestly, its fans like why the Flyers have been losers for 50 years. No patience to actually build something and always having rose colored glasses on.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
You're kidding me right. It's the same team that has not been good enough for years, So rebuild complete? I guess we were just one Michkov away from contending this whole time.

And since your definition of rebuilding is simply not trading down when it is time to make your first round selection, I guess 98% of NHL teams are rebuilding. Honestly, its fans like why the Flyers have been losers for 50 years. No patience to actually build something and always having rose colored glasses on.
No, not kidding.
tell me a few moves you would do or would have done in last 12 months.
maybe then i’ll get it.

LegionOfGloom

Jun 9, 2021
No, not kidding.
tell me a few moves you would do or would have done in last 12 months.
maybe then i’ll get it.
1. Trade TK or Tippett. At present, we have no realistic avenue for obtaining the 1C or 1D that the team desperately needs. Trading one of them to obtain a pick or prospect with that potential while also not locking in all the winger spots on the scoring lines, which they have done. This would also have helped their draft position, which opens another avenue to acquiring the elite talent.
2. Take on cap dumps for more picks.
3. Traded Laughton for the rumored 1st and 2nd offered at the draft.
4. Not sign/bench/waive Deslauriers/Hathaway/Atkinson to allow spots for younger players, getting them experience while presumably helping draft position.
5. Trade Seeler at the draft for best available offer (and certainly not resign him as they seem likely to do).
6. I'm assuming they will trade Walker but, if not, add that here.
7. Not sign Tippett, not extend TK, Walker, and Seeler because now we've just closed off the last avenue (cap space) for acquiring elite talent.

But hey that's just my opinion. Enjoy the next ten years of continued alternating between not making the playoffs/first round exit.

Reactions: JRichard

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
1. Trade TK or Tippett. At present, we have no realistic avenue for obtaining the 1C or 1D that the team desperately needs. Trading one of them to obtain a pick or prospect with that potential while also not locking in all the winger spots on the scoring lines, which they have done. This would also have helped their draft position, which opens another avenue to acquiring the elite talent.
2. Take on cap dumps for more picks.
3. Traded Laughton for the rumored 1st and 2nd offered at the draft.
4. Not sign/bench/waive Deslauriers/Hathaway/Atkinson to allow spots for younger players, getting them experience while presumably helping draft position.
5. Trade Seeler at the draft for best available offer (and certainly not resign him as they seem likely to do).
6. I'm assuming they will trade Walker but, if not, add that here.
7. Not sign Tippett, not extend TK, Walker, and Seeler because now we've just closed off the last avenue (cap space) for acquiring elite talent.

But hey that's just my opinion. Enjoy the next ten years of continued alternating between not making the playoffs/first round exit.
I agree with some of your points.

Trading away good players to get top picks and better draft positions+ taking on bad contracts of bad players to get more picks sounds like the Buffalo or Arizona techniques.
They are 25th and 27th today. 20th and 27th 22-23.

How many dnq? Buffalo 12 straight, Ari 8 out of 9. I’m sure their fans have enjoyed the last 10 years of not even alternating.

Last 11 drafts Buf picked 8, 2, 2, 8, 8, 1, 7, 8, 1, 9, 13. How many more early picks do they need?

Tell me who-what would TK bring back from a bottom 5 team. Cause you are not trading him to a top team, right? A team has an A+ prospect to trade?

So at this point i enjoy TK on this team and hope he is resigned at 8 x 8. Happy with Tippett too.

LegionOfGloom

Jun 9, 2021
I agree with some of your points.

Trading away good players to get top picks and better draft positions+ taking on bad contracts of bad players to get more picks sounds like the Buffalo or Arizona techniques.
They are 25th and 27th today. 20th and 27th 22-23.

How many dnq? Buffalo 12 straight, Ari 8 out of 9. I’m sure their fans have enjoyed the last 10 years of not even alternating.

Last 11 drafts Buf picked 8, 2, 2, 8, 8, 1, 7, 8, 1, 9, 13. How many more early picks do they need?

Tell me who-what would TK bring back from a bottom 5 team. Cause you are not trading him to a top team, right? A team has an A+ prospect to trade?

So at this point i enjoy TK on this team and hope he is resigned at 8 x 8. Happy with Tippett too.
Ok, how do you propose the Flyers acquire top line/top pairings guys? Or do you believe they already possess all they will need? If so, why does this stink every year?

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
It was also the Pittsburgh technique, and how many Cups did those *^%#ers win when they actually drafted the right guys?

It's a rare, rare team that wins a Stanley Cup without a top 5 pick (or someone like Michkov who should have been, but had serious extenuating circumstances) leading the way, generally more than 1.

Look at the past few Cup winners. VGK: Eichel was 2OA, Pietrangelo was 4OA, Kessel wasn't a top contributor, but he was a 5OA pick.
COL: MacKinnon 1OA, Landeskog 2OA, Byram and Makar both 4OA respectively.
TBL: Stamkos 1OA, Hedman 2OA.
STL: Pietrangelo again.
WAS: Ovechkin 1OA, Backstrom 4OA.
PIT had Crosby and Fleury (1), Malkin (2).
CHI had Kane (1) and Toews (3).
LA had Doughty (2).

You win with top talent. You need depth and luck as well, sure, but you don't win without it.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Anderson is headed for buyoutville. The Flyers don’t need him when they already have Atkinson, who is also facing a buyout.

Reactions: HabsQC

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
It was also the Pittsburgh technique, and how many Cups did those *^%#ers win when they actually drafted the right guys?

It's a rare, rare team that wins a Stanley Cup without a top 5 pick (or someone like Michkov who should have been, but had serious extenuating circumstances) leading the way, generally more than 1.

Look at the past few Cup winners. VGK: Eichel was 2OA, Pietrangelo was 4OA, Kessel wasn't a top contributor, but he was a 5OA pick.
COL: MacKinnon 1OA, Landeskog 2OA, Byram and Makar both 4OA respectively.
TBL: Stamkos 1OA, Hedman 2OA.
STL: Pietrangelo again.
WAS: Ovechkin 1OA, Backstrom 4OA.
PIT had Crosby and Fleury (1), Malkin (2).
CHI had Kane (1) and Toews (3).
LA had Doughty (2).

You win with top talent. You need depth and luck as well, sure, but you don't win without it.
Most teams have 3 guys drafted top 5 on their rosters. Some are at the end of their run, some are prime, some young guys. So yes your next Cup winner most likely will have a top 5 pick on their roster. Doesnt say much.

Van has only EP, Bos has JVR, Wpg none, Rangers have 3, Dal 3, Edm 3, Toronto has 4.

last 59 first picks won 18 cups, under 30%.

finding the Paternak, Marchand, Bergeron, Rask is a recipe for success.

top talent is not a top 5 thing.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Again, these are the Flyers RWers....no need at all for JA.

Konecny, Tippett, Atkinson, Brink, Hathaway...with Michkov on the way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad