Proposal: Josh Anderson to Philadelphia

LegionOfGloom

Jun 9, 2021
Most teams have 3 guys drafted top 5 on their rosters. Some are at the end of their run, some are prime, some young guys. So yes your next Cup winner most likely will have a top 5 pick on their roster. Doesnt say much.

Van has only EP, Bos has JVR, Wpg none, Rangers have 3, Dal 3, Edm 3, Toronto has 4.

last 59 first picks won 18 cups, under 30%.

finding the Paternak, Marchand, Bergeron, Rask is a recipe for success.

top talent is not a top 5 thing.
So your plan to acquire top talent is to hit on the late picks that turn into stars once every 5 years? Top talent might not be restricted to the top 5 picks in the draft but you're just being willfully ignorant to ignore the probability attached. Since you haven't responded to my question, I assume you, like the Flyers, have no actual plan to acquire top talent.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
So your plan to acquire top talent is to hit on the late picks that turn into stars once every 5 years? Top talent might not be restricted to the top 5 picks in the draft but you're just being willfully ignorant to ignore the probability attached. Since you haven't responded to my question, I assume you, like the Flyers, have no actual plan to acquire top talent.
Thats ironic cause you are not very good in answering questions (see post 92).

Who are we getting for TK? Would like to add this high-end talent being offered. I believe its the first point in your plan. Then i can tell you if its a deal i would take.

For the record i also take with a grain of salt that rumour of Laughton for a (late i guess) first and (late (2nd). Basing a plan on a rumor?

Trading all bottom players will return no top end player or great picks.

We dont have players blocked at Lehigh. Andrae and Brink still have lots of work to do. You said so yourself, hoping for worst results to pick earlier.

I’m happy with the last couple of drafts, the last one with MM, the London Knights guys and the 2 goalies. All seem at this point good picks.

This year there is no Bedard. No Crosby, no Ovy. Not willing to waste (tank) a season just to pick 4th. Team is too good to pick top 3. i believe we agree there. This draft has no consensus 2-8.

every draft teams pick Glass and Andersson 6-7 when others pick Thomas at 20 and Robertson at 39. Or Kotkaniemi at 3 vs Sharangovich at 141. Turcotte at 5 and Caufield at 15. Need to draft well. I feel thats what they are doing.

We had bad drafts around 2013-2017 and are now feeling the effects. Morin, Rubstov, Patrick, O’Brien.

you did mention luck. We got more badluck than most: Morin, Patrick, Hart, Ellis.

no need to play to lose.

You are favoring the Buffalo-Ariz-Mtl way. I’m not.

we have extra picks in first 2 rounds. I’m confident they will use them well, just like last draft.

i dont see « 10 yrs« of doom like you do. Moving on from this topic.

Beige Van

Oct 4, 2009
Canada
At least it won’t be held against Kent Hughes then when he has to do it.

That's the thing though. There is no need to buy out Anderson. All the core pieces are locked up long term already. Even Dach will still be an RFA when his contract is up - after Anderson, Gallagher, and Price are all off the books. Unless Slaf goes nuclear next season, his raise won't be an issue in the slightest. Habs cap situation is fine.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
That's the thing though. There is no need to buy out Anderson. All the core pieces are locked up long term already. Even Dach will still be an RFA when his contract is up - after Anderson, Gallagher, and Price are all off the books. Unless Slaf goes nuclear next season, his raise won't be an issue in the slightest. Habs cap situation is fine.
It’s not the cap situation, it’s a simple matter of whether or not it’s time to move on. If he’s not your plans, then you don’t want him around, nor will he want to be.

LegionOfGloom

Jun 9, 2021
Sanheim, Provorov, Konency, Hart, Frost, Cates
But these facts are getting in the way of his narrative that using our picks last year and acquiring one extra pick (which just equals out what we were already down) has completed the rebuild.

Beige Van

Oct 4, 2009
Canada
It’s not the cap situation, it’s a simple matter of whether or not it’s time to move on. If he’s not your plans, then you don’t want him around, nor will he want to be.

Then you send him to Laval. There is absolutely no need to buy him out.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Sanheim, Provorov, Konency, Hart, Frost, Cates
vs good teams

Dallas: Robertson, oetinger, Heiskanen, Gurianov, Hintz, Paul, Nichushkin

Boston: Pasternak, Donato, Heinen,Debrusk, Carlo, Macavoy, Frederic, Swayman

Van: EP, Boeser, Forsling, Mccann, Horvat.

Very few top 5 picks in there. EP and Heiskanen 3?

colorado and Florida had top 5 picks.

so there is more than one way to go about it.

since Philly cant drop top 5, maybe try other way.

and Anderson is not coming to Phila.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Then you send him to Laval. There is absolutely no need to buy him out.
Unless they agree to mutually terminate, that’s simply not how people in this league operate, for better or worse. When it’s time for someone to go, they go. I’d guess they wouldn’t be keen on the idea to pay him the remaining $15m after this season to play in Laval anyways.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I don’t understand the Habs moving on from Anderson (which would cost assets to do) during their rebuild. Clearly they are still a couple years away from the younger guys developing into a core that can get them out of the bottom of the league. And Anderson is a big guy, who can be a physical presence on any line. Imo they kind of need him for the rest of his contract. Then trade him at the TDL during his UFA year. They’d get assets back then.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Unless they agree to mutually terminate, that’s simply not how people in this league operate, for better or worse. When it’s time for someone to go, they go. I’d guess they wouldn’t be keen on the idea to pay him the remaining $15m after this season to play in Laval anyways.
There's no reason to send him down for now, he's doing well enough as a 3d liner and he isn't blocking anyone, he just isn't close to being the impact player he can be.

I don’t understand the Habs moving on from Anderson (which would cost assets to do) during their rebuild. .
No one in Montreal is suggesting to do this.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
There's no reason to send him down for now, he's doing well enough as a 3d liner and he isn't blocking anyone, he just isn't close to being the impact player he can be.

Any Anderson trade imo would cost assets though. He’s got more value staying because he can contribute in other ways than scoring.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

If it’s not time, then it’s not time, by all means. He’s not an impact player and is never going to be, and I’d have to think that coming this summer, that the Habs are going to want to move this along.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Risto + Hathaway is as much as I would offer. That's not a very appealing contract Anderson has. It's actually worse than what Risto has left.
I'd do it.
Anderson is not working with St.Louis.
He seems lost out there.
At the start of the season he was trying and getting chances, now he just skates fast into the oblivion.

Reactions: Rebels57

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Any Anderson trade imo would cost assets though. He’s got more value staying because he can contribute in other ways than scoring.
Well, the whole point of this thread was to find a way to move him without costing assets, since I think he can be worth his contract if he can find the right role on the right team, and I think some team will be willing to give him a chance if he comes cheaply in terms of hockey assets.

• Haha
Reactions: LegionOfGloom

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'd do it.
Anderson is not working with St.Louis.
He seems lost out there.
At the start of the season he was trying and getting chances, now he just skates fast into the oblivion.

It's certainly a deal I can see happening. Torts has more control over the Flyers roster than most coachs and I know he liked Anderson in Columbus.

Reactions: pth2

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Well, the whole point of this thread was to find a way to move him without costing assets, since I think he can be worth his contract if he can find the right role on the right team, and I think some team will be willing to give him a chance if he comes cheaply in terms of hockey assets.
But imo Anderson will cost assets to move. Or the Habs will need to retain a lot while taking back contracts. And as a rebuilding team, whose core is still not mature enough to compete for a playoff spot, it’s best to keep Anderson because he provides needed intangibles.

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
So basically this is just another Montreal post where you think everyone is going to take your cap dumps for nothing or trade you their star player for your spare parts. Awesome.
How did you draw that conclusion? The guy is just throwing out a suggestion and made no mention of expecting a "star player" in return. No need to be so frickin salty.

Reactions: pth2 and Eegs

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
But imo Anderson will cost assets to move. Or the Habs will need to retain a lot while taking back contracts. And as a rebuilding team, whose core is still not mature enough to compete for a playoff spot, it’s best to keep Anderson because he provides needed intangibles.
Retention is a non starter.
Sending picks to get someone to take him is a non starter.
Taking back similar contracts is what might work.

Reactions: Fatass

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Retention is a non starter.
Sending picks to get someone to take him is a non starter.
Taking back similar contracts is what might work.
So like an Anderson + for Ristolainen + kind of deal?

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
So like an Anderson + for Ristolainen + kind of deal?
That's the closest we've come to something that works, the issue becomes a positional one - Montreal wouldn't want a RD who'd block the multiple kids at that position, and Philly seems to have tons of wingers already, and both teams might as well just stand pat.

Reactions: Fatass

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad