Player Discussion Josh Anderson - Power Forward 101 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Don't look but he has one more point than Domi... He started well, he was scoring goals left and right, he helped the team a lot at beginning, but 24 points in 50 is a pace for 40 points /season that's bad. Yes he's strong and fast, but if this does not translate in points, it's useless.

The fact that he's constantly moved around, has had umpteen different line mates, and has been switched back and forth from his natural RW to LW has much to do with it...as it does with everyone on the team; Dum Dom's constant line blender is moronic and is harming any chemistry the players build...

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
The team has been ass and Anderson has consistently been one of the best players on the ice. Not the guy to target boys and girls. He's second on the team in goals on a team that can't score goals. More importantly, he passes the eye test unlike those around him at similar paces. Danault isn't creating anything on the ice but getting secondary assists. He can't finish chances his linemates don't create. He's been getting nothing since being paired with Danault.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Those who thought Anderson sucked and was not worth $5.5M need to speak up. Don't hide in the shadows. Many of you tried to use this as reasons why Bergevin sucks and this is evidence of using exaggeration to prove your points. It's a horrible way to prove your opinions

What has been the biggest things holding us back? It's Price and Weber. Almost everything Bergevin has done has been very very good moves. If I was him, I'd be pissed off at Price and Weber cause they are not even producing to half their cap hits. Imagine if they were producing to 75% of their cap hits this year? They better show up in the playoffs! I'm talking to you Price and Weber. It's time they get the Drouin treatment

And some of you want to target KK, Danault, Anderson, Drouin, Chiarot, Armia, Lehkonen, types.

giphy.gif

funny, i don't recall reading any posts suggesting that "Anderson sucked"... your entire premise is silly, not to mention that you flat out contradict yourself in it :lo:

too much sauce this morning :dunno:

Bergevin sucks because he has no concept of how to build a roster, manage the cap, build organizational accountability, develop talent et. et.

Anderson was a risk to extend for as long as we did, which remains true today. That he's been moderately productive (40pt pace for a 5M$+ winger isn't exactly a steal, even with the physical dimensions he adds) is good, I think most fans are pleased with his overall impact... he's met, though certainly not exceeded, expectations. That's a good thing. The trade was a gamble, and we paid a premium based on hope, many (including myself) were critical of the value proposition of the deal... his play this year doesn't really change that, though Domi's continued regression perhaps does. I was happy to see Domi go, and happy to see a player like Anderson in our forward group. Both can be true.

And... 0 pts in 9 games during the most intense part of the season isn't great.
And... 40pt pace seasons had better be the lower bar of his productivity, and not the higher, or that contract will start being problematic

That Domi completely imploded this year makes the swap look better in hindsight... but as we see regularly, hindsight can be a fickle barometer... if Domi finds another home and gets his career back on track, and Anderson hurts his shoulder again or can't push past the 40pt threshold, it doesn't then turn the trade into a bad one...

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
funny, i don't recall reading any posts suggesting that "Anderson sucked"... your entire premise is silly, not to mention that you flat out contradict yourself in it :lo:

Bergevin sucks because he has no concept of how to build a roster, manage the cap, build organizational accountability, develop talent et. et.

Anderson was a risk to extend for as long as we did, which remains true today. That he's been moderately productive (40pt pace for a 5M$+ winger isn't exactly a steal, even with the physical dimensions he adds) is good, I think most fans are pleased with his overall impact... he's met, though certainly not exceeded, expectations. That's a good thing. The trade was a gamble, and we paid a premium based on hope, many (including myself) were critical of the value proposition of the deal... his play this year doesn't really change that, though Domi's continued regression perhaps does. I was happy to see Domi go, and happy to see a player like Anderson in our forward group. Both can be true.

And... 40pt pace seasons had better be the lower bar of his productivity, and not the higher, or that contract will start being problematic

That Domi completely imploded this year makes the swap look better in hindsight... but as we see regularly, hindsight can be a fickle barometer... if Domi finds another home and gets his career back on track, and Anderson hurts his shoulder again or can't push past the 40pt threshold, it doesn't then turn the trade into a bad one...

Max Domi 52gp 8 goals 15 assists 23 points
Josh Anderson 50gp 17 goals 7 assists 24 points.

Domi is signed 2 years while Anderson is at 7years.

Like you said that 7 year deals was risky from day one and i still think it is. Bergevin has the better player due to his speed , size and rush to the net but in terms of productivity , it's pretty much the same as Domi thus barely an upgrade offensively at the end of the day and that's my opinion feel free to not agree.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Max Domi 52gp 8 goals 15 assists 23 points
Josh Anderson 50gp 17 goals 7 assists 24 points.

Domi is signed 2 years while Anderson is at 7years.

Like you said that 7 year deals was risky from day one and i still think it is. Bergevin has the better player due to his speed , size and rush to the net but in terms of productivity , it's pretty much the same as Domi thus barely an upgrade offensively at the end of the day and that's my opinion feel free to not agree.

I still am not sure how to best utilize Anderson. He's not the best at making plays with his linemates. For all his speed and physical gifts, that can limit a high skilled line.

I think he's best used on a 3rd line with Danault and Tatar. But, maybe there's another line he'll have chemistry on. Perhaps Toffoli-Suzuki/Kk-Anderson would work.

Honestly, seeing how well Drouin-Domi-Anderson worked, perhaps Drouin-Domi-Anderson would work. Three limited players but with a lot of speed. Put all that speed together and see what happens. Are they a defensive disaster with the right coach guiding them? Probably.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

You don't recall correctly. "Sucked" is a strong statement but it does summarize the general feeling. There were a few that considered the $5.5M for 7 years as a huge mistake. A prime years for a power forward mistake which is nonsense. They used that as reasons to criticized Bergevin which is also nonsense. There are other things to bring up to criticize Bergevin but I feel every move is being exaggerated these days. It's a distraction

I don't remember what you said and I didn't call out anyone in particular. I asked them to step up and admit they were wrong and not hide in the shadows. If I were you, I would speak for yourself and not others.

Reactions: Vachon23

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
I still am not sure how to best utilize Anderson. He's not the best at making plays with his linemates. For all his speed and physical gifts, that can limit a high skilled line.

I think he's best used on a 3rd line with Danault and Tatar. But, maybe there's another line he'll have chemistry on. Perhaps Toffoli-Suzuki/Kk-Anderson would work.

Honestly, seeing how well Drouin-Domi-Anderson worked, perhaps Drouin-Domi-Anderson would work. Three limited players but with a lot of speed. Put all that speed together and see what happens. Are they a defensive disaster with the right coach guiding them? Probably.
Like I said Anderson can't pass the puck at all. This is a fact that should be clear.

I think KK and Anderson as a DUO is a good mix but that line need that thirdline wheel.

Like Suzuki and Toffoli works great and Armia... is just there to be there.

I would legit like to see Gallagher with kk and Anderson. I know they both play right side but im sure Anderson could switch position due to his playstyle. 1 feed , 1 only shoot , 1 plays around the net would make that line dangerous and give KK the support with Gallagher whos a hard worker and who will help KK at the long term.

The problem in this team right now is that Staal is overplayed and that the Danault Gallagher and Tatar line needs to be disbanded once for all.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Like I said Anderson can't pass the puck at all. This is a fact that should be clear.

I think KK and Anderson as a DUO is a good mix but that line need that thirdline wheel.

Like Suzuki and Toffoli works great and Armia... is just there to be there.

I would legit like to see Gallagher with kk and Anderson. I know they both play right side but im sure Anderson could switch position due to his playstyle. 1 feed , 1 only shoot , 1 plays around the net would make that line dangerous and give KK the support with Gallagher whos a hard worker and who will help KK at the long term.

The problem in this team right now is that Staal is overplayed and that the Danault Gallagher and Tatar line needs to be disbanded once for all.

Yes to all of this.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The team has been ass and Anderson has consistently been one of the best players on the ice. Not the guy to target boys and girls. He's second on the team in goals on a team that can't score goals. More importantly, he passes the eye test unlike those around him at similar paces. Danault isn't creating anything on the ice but getting secondary assists. He can't finish chances his linemates don't create. He's been getting nothing since being paired with Danault.

You should fact check first. Danault's 15 of 19 assists are primary assists. But Anderson has been great for us. He has produced as expected. The issue is not Danault. The biggest issue is both Suzuki and KK are not puck possession type centers and have had trouble winning faceoffs which makes our puck possession worse.

HWXuWlm.jpg

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
You don't recall correctly. "Sucked" is a strong statement but it does summarize the general feeling. There were a few that considered the $5.5M for 7 years as a huge mistake. A prime years for a power forward mistake which is nonsense. They used that as reasons to criticized Bergevin which is also nonsense. There are other things to bring up to criticize Bergevin but I feel every move is being exaggerated these days. It's a distraction

I don't remember what you said and I didn't call out anyone in particular. I asked them to step up and admit they were wrong and not hide in the shadows. If I were you, I would speak for yourself and not others.

Nobody needs to "use" that deal to criticize MB, his body of work and legacy of mediocrity speaks for itself at this point.

Some of us did, correctly, identify that despite the many additions, he had yet again assembled a mediocre roster.

Anderson was a risky let ng term extension. That was as true then as it is now.
Swapping Domi for him was not going to improve our productivity on offense, that was true then and is true now.

Most of the criticism about the move remains true today, even if I prefer Anderson to Domi as a fan, the team is hardly better for the swap and still sits with the riskier proposition of Anderson staying healthy for 6 more years.

Like I said, I don't recall seeing anyone post what you're suggesting... Your post seems to be exactly the kind of hyperbole you are complaining about. Perhaps stop with the nonsense exaggerations yourself and we can all enjoy a better board :dunno:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Don't look but he has one more point than Domi... He started well, he was scoring goals left and right, he helped the team a lot at beginning, but 24 points in 50 is a pace for 40 points /season that's bad. Yes he's strong and fast, but if this does not translate in points, it's useless.
I mean, Im fine with him being a 40 pts player. 25/15 kinda dude? Those are ES pts as he should never be on the PP.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

You use him the same way Pacioretty was used. Pacioretty was very, very bad in the ozone and lived off the rush and volume shooting. Have him do the same thing and crash the net in the Ozone, profit.

For that they will need better puckmovers though.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
You use him the same way Pacioretty was used. Pacioretty was very, very bad in the ozone and lived off the rush and volume shooting. Have him do the same thing and crash the net in the Ozone, profit.

For that they will need better puckmovers though.

I don't compare Pacioretty and Anderson. Pacioretty is an elite finisher that also puts up a lot of assists. He is a much better passer than Anderson.

Also Pacioretty isn't the toughest player. Anderson is a bull.

Reactions: Andrei79

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I don't compare Pacioretty and Anderson. Pacioretty is an elite finisher that also puts up a lot of assists. He is a much better passer than Anderson.

He was talking about the way Pacioretty arrived on the rush with speed to take a good shot (or crash the net) not the way they play

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Obviously Pacioretty is better in all aspects. The comparison is the way they both create their offense.

Reactions: BigDaddyLurch

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He was talking about the way Pacioretty arrived on the rush with speed to take a good shot (or crash the net) not the way they play

I was talking about which linemates to play him with. I would be comfortable playing Pacioretty with Suzuki amd Toffoli or with KK and Caufield, but not Josh Anderson yet. I think those other players need to play with more skill than JA has. So I have JA playing with Phil. But hopefully some combination is found that works.

After the first 13 games when Anderson had 9 goals and 11 points, i.e. after we were the highest scoring team on the NHL because teams figured us out, Anderson has 8 goals and 13 points in 37 games. That's not good production at all, at all.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Obviously Pacioretty is better in all aspects. The comparison is the way they both create their offense.

I think Pacioretty can create by making plays. Anderson can't really. I see Anderson as more Tom Wilson.

I think people are a little high in Josh Anderson's ability to create offense because if his inflated numbers. His numbers were inflated by us being the top scoring team in the NHL through the first 13 games. He had 9 goals and 11 points through those first 13 games. Since then, i.e. since the league has figured us out, his production hasn't been good, 8 goals and 13 points in 37 games.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I was talking about which linemates to play him with. I would be comfortable playing Pacioretty with Suzuki amd Toffoli or with KK and Caufield, but not Josh Anderson yet. I think those other players need to play with more skill than JA has. So I have JA playing with Phil. But hopefully some combination is found that works.

After the first 13 games when Anderson had 9 goals and 11 points, i.e. after we were the highest scoring team on the NHL because teams figured us out, Anderson has 8 goals and 13 points in 37 games. That's not good production at all, at all.
Maybe but Pac would be better with KK then with Suzuki. Pac like to score on the rush so he need the puck entering the Ozone (Like Anderson even if Pac is better) but both are not that good on the cycling and finding the open zone like Toffoli can do (and that's why they are not good PP players)

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I think Pacioretty can create by making plays. Anderson can't really. I see Anderson as more Tom Wilson.

I think people are a little high in Josh Anderson's ability to create offense because if his inflated numbers. His numbers were inflated by us being the top scoring team in the NHL through the first 13 games. He had 9 goals and 11 points through those first 13 games. Since then, i.e. since the league has figured us out, his production hasn't been good, 8 goals and 13 points in 37 games.
He is a 40 pts player, always is and will be.

Does not mean that he cant create his offense in certain ways. He is an offensive rush threat (like 8/10) and a 5/10 offensive zone threat.

Pacioretty was the same for us, all he did was rush up ice and take shots until he scored, rince and repeat.

LastRide

Feb 18, 2008
It's hard top pick up assists when you have a team full of cement hands. Even scoring goals seems to be a problem. It's the same few players having to do all the bull work.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Can one imagine this team without Anderson or Tyler Toffoli? Or worse yet, both. Yikes!!!:eek:

I can actually, it would like like the team last season. Which, yeah, was a major yikes to watch. A major eye sore. Kovalchuk helped. But obviously was not nearly enough to salvage that disaster of a construction of a team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad