Player Discussion Josh Anderson - Power Forward 101 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Stevie Y on why TBay got swept by CBJ a couple of season back (reiterated by Cooper): “our players had no answer for Josh Anderson, he did as he pleased on the ice”
Cant find any of the quotes you mention but I remember him obviously talking about the grit the Jackets brought as a whole and obviously Josh is one of the best in the game at this.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Poehling needs to model his game after this guy and his work ethic and determination.
Anderson is litterally a beef. Crushes opponent like nonone else in the forward group. He is like 30 pounds bigger than Poehling and he skates as fast. I would say, anderson is a unique kind of guy and bigger than most players in the league. A little unfair to compare poehling to him imo. Poehling should look what danault is doing

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Anderson is litterally a beef. Crushes opponent like nonone else in the forward group. He is like 30 pounds bigger than Poehling and he skates as fast. I would say, anderson is a unique kind of guy and bigger than most players in the league. A little unfair to compare poehling to him imo. Poehling should look what danault is doing

In Poehling's hat trick game, he scored more Josh Anderson type of goals than Phil Danault type.

I don't there's much of a comparison with Phil, in terms of playing style. While Poehling may never be able to fight like Anderson or hit as hard, he can still hit and produce as a power forward.

Plus I think Poehling will have better vision than Anderson.

JC Superstar

Aug 7, 2013
Yesterday I saw the best backhand in Montreal since Maurice Richard. I didn't believe you could score on a backhand in the NHL in 2021 outside 10'.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Anderson is not the best passer or gifted with the best hands but he can skate like the wind and he is a big player that sees an opening and goes for it full throttle, he also has a great shot. Did I mention that he is big? I am a sucker for the big players that can contribute, it would have been cool if McCarron could have turned into an Anderson type of player.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Lots of posters singing praises now, should go back and read their initial reactions to the Domi / Anderson trade.

I’ll leave it at that...

Some were spitting out nonsense like he was holding Drouin back and should be playing on the 4th line because he has no skill...

This wasn’t day 1 of the trade. This was already a month into the season where he was already proving his worth.

Anyhow, I can sleep easy. I was riding his jockstrap the minute I heard about the trade.

Reactions: BigDaddyLurch

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Yesterday I saw the best backhand in Montreal since Maurice Richard. I didn't believe you could score on a backhand in the NHL in 2021 outside 10'.
Sidney Crosby must have 50 great backhand goals during his career and some of them are beauties. The backhand is a dying art form due to the banana-like curves that most players are using in today's game. The backhand was probably one of the most popular shot methods to score right up until the 80's when many players used straight blades. Crosby uses one of the straightest stick blades in the league and it helps his shots effectiveness. Radulov is another one that uses this type of stick and he too has a wicked backhand. I am a nerd when it comes to stick curves, lie and brands of stick.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Uh lame, Danault is so soft. Ryan should model his game after himself, he has softer hands than Josh and Danault and is a much better player tool wise than both. He doesnt have the skating of Josh tho.

Reactions: Sagikev

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Anderson is not the best passer or gifted with the best hands but he can skate like the wind and he is a big player that sees an opening and goes for it full throttle, he also has a great shot. Did I mention that he is big? I am a sucker for the big players that can contribute, it would have been cool if McCarron could have turned into an Anderson type of player.
The Draft is so out of whack at times.
Anderson drafted 95th right after the Habs picked Brady Vail at 94th in the 2012 draft.

In 2013 Habs drafted McCarron in the first round.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Uh lame, Danault is so soft. Ryan should model his game after himself, he has softer hands than Josh and Danault and is a much better player tool wise than both. He doesnt have the skating of Josh tho.
Agreed that Anderson is the better skater but Poehling is also a terrific skater and it even looks better this year.

Reactions: jaffy27

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Sidney Crosby must have 50 great backhand goals during his career and some of them are beauties. The backhand is a dying art form due to the banana-like curves that most players are using in today's game. The backhand was probably one of the most popular shot methods to score right up until the 80's when many players used straight blades. Crosby uses one of the straightest stick blades in the league and it helps his shots effectiveness. Radulov is another one that uses this type of stick and he too has a wicked backhand. I am a nerd when it comes to stick curves, lie and brands of stick.
Draisaitl backhand is insane...he regularly makes cross ice backhand passes.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Anderson looks like he has several levels and I just wonder if we have not even seen him at his best yet? Glad to see him healthy and doing his thing and I think he is an important piece for us down the stretch and in the playoffs. Skate around and cause havoc! Drive the net every chance he gets!

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Draisaitl backhand is insane...he regularly makes cross ice backhand passes.
Some of the modern sticks have a dual lie pattern whereby half of the blade(heel portion) is almost straight, the curve starts from mid to toe and this type of stick is better(but not as good as a straight blade) at backhand shots and passes. Draisaitl uses a very similar pattern as Both Crosby and Radulov, a very slight curve, I would say as close to straight as you will see from any of the current pro players. Here is what he is using(sent link because the image I found was too big)

Leon Draisaitle Curve - Ice Hockey Equipment - ModSquadHockey

This is a Crosby pro curve, the retail P29 crosby curve is much different than what he actually uses.

med_gallery_9357_698_33073.jpg

Radulov curve:
b554590181423d6e_small.jpeg

All three are similar curves with slight variations tailored to each players individual preference. All three are great when it comes to the art of the backhand. Sorry about the long post, I am a geek about this stuff. I personally own 20 sticks, many of them pro stock sticks with various curves.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
lamborghini-logo-deborah-young.jpg

He’s this type of beef

Reactions: Hins77

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Some of the modern sticks have a dual lie pattern whereby half of the blade(heel portion) is almost straight, the curve starts from mid to toe and this type of stick is better(but not as good as a straight blade) at backhand shots and passes. Draisaitl uses a very similar pattern as Both Crosby and Radulov, a very slight curve, I would say as close to straight as you will see from any of the current pro players. Here is what he is using(sent link because the image I found was too big)

Leon Draisaitle Curve - Ice Hockey Equipment - ModSquadHockey

This is a Crosby pro curve, the retail P29 crosby curve is much different than what he actually uses.

med_gallery_9357_698_33073.jpg

Radulov curve:
b554590181423d6e_small.jpeg

All three are similar curves with slight variations tailored to each players individual preference. All three are great when it comes to the art of the backhand. Sorry about the long post, I am a geek about this stuff. I personally own 20 sticks, many of them pro stock sticks with various curves.

I like the curve in your 1st pic. I don't need a nasty curve to lift the puck and I like to be able to roof the back hand upstairs on breakaways so a stick with a small curve works for me.

However, I'm old school and I still like to use the wood sticks. Don't know why but I like that they are heavier. Same issues I have with my driver playing golf. I hate that light shit cause I can't feel it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad