Player Discussion Josh Anderson - Power Forward 101 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Price is Right

Jul 3, 2008
Not impressed with Anderson especially at his salary... he should of been 4 mill max... He is a 30 to 40 point player that's it..

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Not impressed with Anderson especially at his salary... he should of been 4 mill max... He is a 30 to 40 point player that's it..
I called it earlier this year. Anderson has the potential to be another René Bourque and that 7 year contract will hurt the Habs in the long run. Anderson does hit though and plays nasty. He's overall better than Bourque. With the right players, Anderson could thrive.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Don’t see how anyone can hate on Anderson, dude is a thoroughbred. The rush where he sent the defender into Campbell, the setup to KK, the numerous scoring chances, the big hits, putting Simmonds on his ass...

Hating on Anderson is proof some of you aren’t actually watching the games.

Clumsyhab

Feb 22, 2004
Montreal
Don’t see how anyone can hate on Anderson, dude is a thoroughbred. The rush where he sent the defender into Campbell, the setup to KK, the numerous scoring chances, the big hits, putting Simmonds on his ass...

I don't think I've seen anyone hating him on here. Some people are just a little bit disappointed by his production, but I think most people are happy to have him on the team. Even if he's a 25g-15a player on a 82 game season, I think most people would be happy with it.

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head

He's not talented enough, he misses chances after chances... 40 points/season is not good enough for that contract at that length. He's strong, he's fast, he hits hard... That's not the problem.

Trying is not enough, we want results.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I called it earlier this year. Anderson has the potential to be another René Bourque and that 7 year contract will hurt the Habs in the long run. Anderson does hit though and plays nasty. He's overall better than Bourque. With the right players, Anderson could thrive.
Please...

Reactions: Vachon23

The Price is Right

Jul 3, 2008
I thought he would be like Erik Cole who would consistently get 50 points but he is nowhere near his level. Same style like Cole but doesn't can't finish

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Seriously? Ripping on Anderson? Wake up guys. He’s one of the few guys who’s showed up to play every game and makes his own chances. He’s never been a pure finisher, but he goes out there and sets the tone physically, and creates his own chances and space for his teammates. This team wouldn’t be in a playoff spot without Anderson, he’s been a leader all year. If he had a Center that could produce offensively, he’d have better numbers. Kotkaniemi and Danault aren’t exactly elite playmakers or point producers.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Anderson is a 20-25G /40-pts player, combined w size + speed component.

Not sure what people are expecting
He's a great third liner at most. Perfect shutdown guy that plays nasty. Unfortunately, his status in Montreal was elevated by many fans and the organization when he was given way too much term, that basically confirmed his status on the top 6 with unrealistic expectations. Unfortunately, he is not as talented to merit that multi-year deal. Time will tell if he can truly be a 40 goal scorer or a perfect defensive third line winger who was overhyped.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He's not talented enough, he misses chances after chances... 40 points/season is not good enough for that contract at that length. He's strong, he's fast, he hits hard... That's not the problem.

I think 40 pts is enough if you consider everything else he brings. Much of what he does, only he can do. I can't wait to see him in the playoffs.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Seriously? Ripping on Anderson? Wake up guys. He’s one of the few guys who’s showed up to play every game and makes his own chances. He’s never been a pure finisher, but he goes out there and sets the tone physically, and creates his own chances and space for his teammates. This team wouldn’t be in a playoff spot without Anderson, he’s been a leader all year. If he had a Center that could produce offensively, he’d have better numbers. Kotkaniemi and Danault aren’t exactly elite playmakers or point producers.

I don't think you need to put Anderson with talent. He'll score at about the same rate regardless of his line because he creates so many of his own chances. He's the perfect guy to put on a checking line.

I know some people will say that checking duty means he isn't worth his salary. But they have it backwards. If you can score 25 goals while checking the opponents best without needing to use your team's scarce best scorers as line mates, then you're worth a lot more than a 25 goal winger on an offensive line.

HalfFull

Apr 30, 2021
I didn’t know there was a clown convention taking place here?

clowns everywhere oh my

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital

We are not hating on him , he brings good stuff but he needs to produce more

You can say something negative but still like the player overall.

Last edited:

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009

No its more relative to his strong start and massive cooldown. I was concerned about his injuries taking a toll before the season started. That doesn't seem to be a problem. Long term the contract won't be good. But hopefully he plays well enough anyway. We hoped he would be what we got from Toffi for points. He is still creating space, but his passing is OK at best. Its not a hate, just an examination of what is on the table.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Anderson is a 20-25G /40-pts player, combined w size + speed component.

Not sure what people are expecting
Well before the season a section of this board :cheer: had him as a 35 goal monster that could punch and cross check his way through opponents. Some of us had realistic expectations and thought MAYBE we wait a season to how he plays. You know, the same people that if you thought he might be only a 40 point player called you a debbie downer or a negative nancy. Mostly just to defend MB because everyone who "hates" this trades is only doing so because they hate MB for NOOOOO reason.

When we are being realistic you guys give us crap. Then after the season "You guys expected too much"...you can't give us shit for having doubts then say "we never talked him up".

You even claimed he was an Elite PK guy. Player Discussion - Josh Anderson He gets about 1 game out of every 9 or 10 that he even record a single second shorthanded. That is on the coach more than him though. Rick Nash was brought up a fair bit in that thread as well.

So yeah the expectations were pretty high going into this season.

Look at this tweet
dr3mEDKl_normal.jpg

Alex Nyko@AlexNyko
When he scored 27 goals, Jumbo Josh did it mostly from the 2nd line without any PP time. His 5v5 goals/60 was 1.06, same as... McDavid. #Habs #GoHabsGo

When you get a McDavid comparison its laughable. How about we all breath and be happy to have a solid checking forward and see what he can do before putting a crown on his head.

Last edited:

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002

I only wish our other players created as many chances as him.

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012
Wait till the playoffs guys, I guarantee he’ll take his game to another level.

We are the definition of recency bias with how quickly we turn on our players

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
So far he is meh and has not really changed my mind about the stupid contract Bergevin gave him. over 82 games he is on pace to tie his career high of 27 goals, not bad. But only on pace for 38-39 points. Ouch, considering he has another 6 years at $5.5M he better be a more consistent and better producer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad