Player Discussion Joseph freaking Woll

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
If a highly sought UFA is offered and wants $88m and you can only offer 7 years, how do teams make that up? Most players do not pass up guaranteed money (who would?) unless there is another reason. JT's was for family reasons and wanting to play for the Leafs. He took less money to come here. Period.

That's just not how money works. Period.

$30M now, money you can invest or spend or over 4 years with 10%-15% inflation yearly is not the same amount.

Leafs money were the guaranteed deal, the signing bonus is lockout proof and once again money on day one. You don't pass on guaranteed money now from Leafs to get less over time from Islander. Why would you?

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
That's just not how money works. Period.

$30M now, money you can invest or spend or over 4 years with 10%-15% inflation yearly is not the same amount.

Leafs money were the guaranteed deal, the signing bonus is lockout proof and once again money on day one. You don't pass on guaranteed money now from Leafs to get less over time from Islander. Why would you?
Agree with getting $$ up front (although we do not seem to get a break on AAV from our guys) but no idea how much Isles offered in bonus money. I know Petro wanted that money up front and it was one of the reasons why he turned down ST. Louis for Vegas.

Reactions: Arzak

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Agree with getting $$ up front (although we do not seem to get a break on AAV from our guys) but no idea how much Isles offered in bonus money. I know Petro wanted that money up front and it was one of the reasons why he turned down ST. Louis for Vegas.

It always baffled me why we get no break for the contract structure. Somehow the narrative MLSE can afford it completely erases all the benefits for the player.

Sounds stupid, but I have a feeling it would be more appreciated if we couldn't afford to front-load it :D , yet somehow did it anyway.

Reactions: ToneDog

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
It always baffled me why we get no break for the contract structure. Somehow the narrative MLSE can afford it completely erases all the benefits for the player.

Sounds stupid, but I have a feeling it would be more appreciated if we couldn't afford to front-load it :D , yet somehow did it anyway.
It does give the Leafs one advantage in that they can pay the bonus and the player is not owned much in real dollars, which makes the player more tradeable. See John Tavares July 2, 2024. LOL.

• Haha
Reactions: Arzak

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Common knowledge is just a term for lack of proof
..... No, it's a kind way of saying google is easy or you're being lazy or just plain dumb.

Article by Chris Johnston, who had interviewed San Jose coach Peter Deboer:

The Sharks rolled out their finest teal carpet while pursuing John Tavares in free agency last summer.

They were even willing to go as high as $91-million to sign No. 91, which is $2-million more per season on a seven-year deal than he ended up getting from the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
It does give the Leafs one advantage in that they can pay the bonus and the player is not owned much in real dollars, which makes the player more tradeable. See John Tavares July 2, 2024. LOL.

I have to admit I totally forgot about this advantage.
Maybe because this is mostly an advantage if you trade with Arizona-like teams.
Not likely he would wave NMC for the privilege.

Reactions: ToneDog

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
..... No, it's a kind way of saying google is easy or you're being lazy or just plain dumb.

Article by Chris Johnston, who had interviewed San Jose coach Peter Deboer:

The Sharks rolled out their finest teal carpet while pursuing John Tavares in free agency last summer.

They were even willing to go as high as $91-million to sign No. 91, which is $2-million more per season on a seven-year deal than he ended up getting from the Toronto Maple Leafs.
Where in the article does Deboer say that they offered him 91 million. The only person I see saying that is Chris Johnston. I’m afraid I would need a direct quote from either Deboer or Tavares outlining specifics

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
But Samsonov never be a clear #1 in his carreer... always 1A/ 1B even last year until Murray get injured, he was the #2... they got #1 spot by default because with Murray body unable to follow again.

In Washington nobody never really on it between him and vanecek...

In my mind Samsonov didn't prove he was a real #1, so i just dont how much we should consider Samsonov as #1 right now
Uhh what?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Joseph Woll. The topic here is Joseph Woll. He's played fantastic.

1698347244816.png

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Uhh what?

Samsonov played in a tandem all his carreer and share the load 50/50,

Last season until January, Murray was leafs #1. He get injured again and his game drop after he missed some time and Samsonov step up and took #1 lead.... when leafs was already almost aure to play against tampa and had absolutly 0 pressure...and when pressure raised in playoff, he failed to deliver.

So he had been #1 in Toronto for like what 3 month in his carreer? Can we consider Samsonov like a true #1

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
In my world unless I see it in writing or direct quotes it just speculation
Lol... It's called reporter ethics. Johnston would have no credibility and San Jose could probably very easily have him fired if he reported on a contract number that was incorrect; especially in an article where members of their management are interviewed. Johnston didn't say he heard through sources... He said "they were even willing to go as high...". That's a definitive statement from the source. And the article includes interviews with San Joses coach.

This is as direct as it gets lol.

Reactions: 1specter

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Samsonov played in a tandem all his carreer and share the load 50/50,

Last season until January, Murray was leafs #1. He get injured again and his game drop after he missed some time and Samsonov step up and took #1 lead.... when leafs was already almost aure to play against tampa and had absolutly 0 pressure...and when pressure raised in playoff, he failed to deliver.

So he had been #1 in Toronto for like what 3 month in his carreer? Can we consider Samsonov like a true #1
Was talking about something else and not Sammy in the Joe Woll thread....I'm a rebel, I know, but it is what it could be but probably wasn't or never were

As to you're query, I like Sammy he seems like a good kid, he has some real skill, but something is currently wrong and whether physical or mental who knows? Hopefully it's physical so it can heal or be fixed.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Was talking about something else and not Sammy in the Joe Woll thread....I'm a rebel, I know, but it is what it could be but probably wasn't or never were

As to you're query, I like Sammy he seems like a good kid, he has some real skill, but something is currently wrong and whether physical or mental who knows? Hopefully it's physical so it can heal or be fixed.

I think samsonov is mental issue...

And i just talked about why for me to door is all open for Woll to take #1 spot, why i talked about Samsonov

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad