Player Discussion Joseph freaking Woll

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I had a hard time picking the 3 last night

Joseph Woll was crazy good. There was no room for him to allow one by him, he had to stop everything and had to makea handful of difficult saves. Very cool under fire.

On the other hand!

Bill looked like superman for the majority of his shifts and other than Woll, was mostly the best player on the ice. The give and go on the first goal was pure beauty, even the fully washed up JT looked like a guy who can still rise to the occasion, and I kinda think he did. It seems he and Willy Styles have found synchronicity.

Matty Knies has kind of got the makings of a pro level release and when he's serious, he's a formidable presence. I'm not saying he did it on his own but Domi seemed to be challenged and rose to the occasion and worked hard making it work. Now all that needs to happen is they keep being a threat and find the holes in the defence against lesser competition.

Skin of the teeth win and Woll bailed out Sammy, I think Sammy should buy him dinner at the very least.

Field of Dreams

Oct 10, 2011
Port Credit
I had a hard time picking the 3 last night

Joseph Woll was crazy good. There was no room for him to allow one by him, he had to stop everything and had to makea handful of difficult saves. Very cool under fire.

On the other hand!

Bill looked like superman for the majority of his shifts and other than Woll, was mostly the best player on the ice. The give and go on the first goal was pure beauty, even the fully washed up JT looked like a guy who can still rise to the occasion, and I kinda think he did. It seems he and Willy Styles have found synchronicity.

Matty Knies has kind of got the makings of a pro level release and when he's serious, he's a formidable presence. I'm not saying he did it on his own but Domi seemed to be challenged and rose to the occasion and worked hard making it work. Now all that needs to happen is they keep being a threat and find the holes in the defence against lesser competition.

Skin of the teeth win and Woll bailed out Sammy, I think Sammy should buy him dinner at the very least.

I hate when people call JT washed up, he was PPG last year, which is on pace with his career average. He is also clutch in overtime and late in the 3rd. He took a discount to play for the leafs and this is the kind of respect our fanbase gives him.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Domi and Knies seem to be good, maybe Keefe will throw Bert in there and see what these three guys can do.
Put Calle back with AM and MM. Maybe have Minten to play with Willie and JT and see if he can play with them.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I hate when people call JT washed up, he was PPG last year, which is on pace with his career average. He is also clutch in overtime and late in the 3rd. He took a discount to play for the leafs and this is the kind of respect our fanbase gives him.
You must not know ol koho very well, that was actually a non disguised shot at the mouthbreather LeaFlanders who like nothing more than to disparage our Captain for reasons that only they see. I really get sick and tired of having to read the bs about JT being washed up over the hill, no personality and all the rest of the horsepuckey they spew on a continual basis, when really the only objection they have is rooted in hating his contract.

I'm a long time member of Leaf Nation going back to the days when the Chief was leading the team to multiple SC's. If anyone back in those days disrespected George Armstrong it may have ended a friendship.

John has not led them to a SC and maybe that's where the problem lies. Regardless though he's been a great captain in the community, taking the lead in several longterm Leaf charities. Just like those Captains that have gone before him.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I see A LOT of people here jumping the gun with Woll.

Don't get me wrong the guy looks great almost every time he plays.

But we got people here calling him the #1 before he plays 20 career games, even if you include playoffs It's STILL not 20 career games.

You know who else looked great at first? James Reimer, he had several stretches where he looked unbelievable, he also had several stretches where he looked like he couldn't play.

He is now James Reimer.

You know who else looked great at first?

Jack Campbell do you guys remember how good he was when Dubas first acquired him?

And then he blew a 3-1 series lead to Montreal.

Then, the next season he got hot and through November he was the Vezina favorite, then on December 8 he blew a 4-1 lead to Colorado and from that moment on he's been dog shit Jack Campbell making 5 million and you can argue he's not an NHL goalie.

Not saying Woll is Reimer or Campbell, maybe Woll is the guy, and if he is fantastic.

But Campbell and Reimer got off to hot starts too, and NOBODY is calling either of them the guy.

Woll has played 14 career games, 18 if you include playoffs.

Let's let him build a body of work before we call him the guy.

As far as I'm concerned Samsonov is still the #1 goalie Until Woll proves otherwise.

He hasn't, not yet, not with 14 career games, that's simply not enough.

Reactions: Leafblooded

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010

But we got people here calling him the #1 before he plays 20 career games, even if you include playoffs It's STILL not 20 career games.

You know who else looked great at first? James Reimer, he had several stretches where he looked unbelievable, he also had several stretches where he looked like he couldn't play.

He is now James Reimer.

Jack Campbell do you guys remember how good he was when Dubas first acquired him?

Then, the next season he got hot and through November he was the Vezina favorite, then on December 8 he blew a 4-1 lead to Colorado and from that moment on he's been dog shit Jack Campbell making 5 million and you can argue he's not an NHL goalie.

Not saying Woll is Reimer or Campbell, maybe Woll is the guy, and if he is fantastic.

But Campbell and Reimer got off to hot starts too, and NOBODY is calling either of them the guy.

As far as I'm concerned Samsonov is still the #1 goalie Until Woll proves otherwise.

In all fairness, I’d rather James Reimer in net than Samsonov this season.

Reactions: TMLAM34

TGB

Jun 7, 2021
Big difference between Woll and all of those other goalies that started well and eventually crapped out: they don't have an awful goalie coach screwing them up. I remember Reimer had amazing positioning and blocking when he first came up before he became a flopper. Woll seems to have size, positioning, AND reflexes working for him, so here's hoping!

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

He is now James Reimer.

Dryden had six games under his belt at the NHL level, before he became the Habs starter.

Roy, Hextall, Cam Ward... all did the same thing. Ryan Miller had 18 games when he became the Sabres starter, Pekke RInne had three games. Lundqvist had none....

Now, those are some pretty great goalies names, and only time will tell, but Woll has also had success at every other level he's played too. It's not like he's come out of nowhere and surprised anyone who was paying attention.

Reactions: therealkoho

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Dryden had six games under his belt at the NHL level, before he became the Habs starter.

Roy, Hextall, Cam Ward... all did the same thing. Ryan Miller had 18 games when he became the Sabres starter, Pekke RInne had three games. Lundqvist had none....

Now, those are some pretty great goalies names, and only time will tell, but Woll has also had success at every other level he's played too. It's not like he's come out of nowhere and surprised anyone who was paying attention.

I'm not say can't be the guy, maybe he can, but I still need to see more than 14 career games split over 3 seasons.

For every guy that does do it there is a Reimer, Campbell, Raycroft, Carey, or Mason all started hot, some even won major awards.

Raycroft won rookie of the year, Carey won a Vezina, Mason had 10 shutouts as a rookie.

I hope Woll is a star, I'm just not ready to crown him just yet.

Reactions: thinkblue

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I’ve always liked Reimer. He’s been a solid 1B everywhere he’s gone and still continues to put up good numbers at his age. He never really got over paid either. Can’t complain about him really. I’d take him over Samsonov right now.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Cup winners win with their drafted goalie 90% of the time over the past 20 years.

Its actually very important that Woll becomes a star.

This is exactly it. History suggests we need a goalie we drafted. Woll is our guy. Who knows if it works out, but I’ve suggested as early as mid last season that he’d be our guy. Everything I’ve seen since has only further cemented that view.

Reactions: leafsfan5 and kb

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Despite their numbers, I was never high on Reimer/Campbell/Samsonov/Sparks etc. When you watch Woll play, he just has it. Hes got it under control, hes calm, not frantic. Hes good mechanically and technique wise. Has the athleticism to make those big out of position saves if needed.

Those other guys, I never once thought these guys can be above average starters in the league. I believe Woll can become that, he has all the tools needed. My biggest concern with him always has been health.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Not seeing a lot of similarities between Riemer and Woll other than the team who drafted them.

Woll always looked to me like he was going to be a stud, so far so good.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Domi said it first but I'll agree that stylistically he reminds me of Price, similar size and calmness with his movements

He also seems totally unfazed by anything in interviews. Don't think he has to work too hard on the mental side of the game

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
Big difference between Woll and all of those other goalies that started well and eventually crapped out: they don't have an awful goalie coach screwing them up. I remember Reimer had amazing positioning and blocking when he first came up before he became a flopper. Woll seems to have size, positioning, AND reflexes working for him, so here's hoping!
This is Curtis Stanford’s first year with the leafs correct?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I said to my sons last night, that Woll looks like he plays the game at a different speed than everyone else. It’s like the game happens in slow motion to him. His reaction times are just incredible. His ability to get across the net, stick a pad out… incredibly fast.

Reactions: banks

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I would say all things look great with Woll.
Give the Leafs some credit developing him and now at 25 years old is the perfect age to get full exposure as a NHL goalie.

Remarkably Woll improved his save % in each of his 3 years at Boston College and every one of his 4 seasons with the Marlies.
Slow and steady improvement every step along the way.

I still would like Samsonov and him to split games for the first half of the season to keep both guys healthy and fresh, and then see where they both are statistically.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brad C

Strangle

May 4, 2009

He is now James Reimer.

Bruh, how can you look at Sammy play and call him the number 1?

I’d accept that neither are number 1’s, but Samsonov has been terrible.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
I still believe in Samsonov. I think he can be a good platoon guy, or an average starter. I think the bad start will pass, and I'm glad he's on the team. But Woll is now winning me over.

I said a while back (in this same thread?) that I don't usually care what a goalie does until there's NHL results. Other leagues are just too different, and goalies are voodoo. Some goalies look great in the AHL or overseas, and just can't handle the NHL puck speed.

But Woll is showing now that he's plays at NHL speed. He's matured properly, and he's ready to carry a real load.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018

"Took a discount" lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad