Player Discussion Joseph freaking Woll

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Woll's calmness and positioning really stood out to me whenever I saw highlights of him from Boston College. It always had me intrigued. When he first got to the Marlies and struggled, I remember those who watched a lot said he kind of got away from his game and became more erratic. Maybe nerves of jumping to the pro level or what have you. But it seems in the past couple years he shook that off and returned to form.

Reactions: HellasLEAF

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Woll is the starter now… I predict he holds that position throughout the season and starts the playoffs.

We can only hope, I would still keep an experienced backup.

Swaymen looked like Hasek for about 20 games and I thought the Bruins were stupid for getting Ulmark instead of making Swaymen the number 1, but he came back to earth, and bounced back up.

No matter how good they look in a small sample size, it takes time to get NHL experience, and learn how to overcome shitstreaks all players and goalies eventually go through.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Domi said it first but I'll agree that stylistically he reminds me of Price, similar size and calmness with his movements

He also seems totally unfazed by anything in interviews. Don't think he has to work too hard on the mental side of the game
I had to laugh when the reporter informed him in the post game of Ovi having 14 shots on him, his reaction was priceless!

And yes there may or may not be a pun in their somewhere.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
The kid looks like the real deal so far. He hasn't faced any adversity yet though. It will be interesting to see how he reacts once the inevitable rough outing occurs.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
"Took a discount" lol
Which is a term pushed by NHL agents so that their clients might seem a little less greedy. It truly goes hand in hand with the "he's earned that contract!" nonsense.

Anyway, it is, I suppose, what it is, which is some really talented kids who believe they come first, who have parents that sacrificed and then pushed their kids relentlessly who believe they come first and then both who will then tell anybody who'll listen that the team comes first. As long as they get exactly what they want.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
Woll is the real deal. He has amazing rebound control.
Samsonov has two weak parts to his game. The inability to smother the rebounds and the second is he doesn’t read the play. When the boys are tired he keeps the puck in play instead of getting a whistle

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
We have Woll for this year and next at $766,667 per

1613164281093.gif

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Bruh, how can you look at Sammy play and call him the number 1?

I’d accept that neither are number 1’s, but Samsonov has been terrible.

Like I said as great as Joseph Woll has looked in his career, I'm not ready to crown him just yet, not after 14 career games, especially when those 14 career games are split over 3 seasons.

I hope this is real and he's the guy, but I need to see more.

Like it or not the sample size simply isn't enough

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Like I said as great as Joseph Woll has looked in his career, I'm not ready to crown him just yet, not after 14 career games, especially when those 14 career games are split over 3 seasons.

Unquestionably true, it's a small sample size at the NHL level but, he has been successful with a larger sample size in the AHL. Also, he seems to have the mental makeup, and the mechanics, to be good for a long time. Locates the puck especially from the point, athletic, good movement in the crease, very good rebound control, and he has a calm demeanour. Unlike Samsonov, or Campbell, he doesn't appear to be a head case when it comes to processing the position. Hopefully he continues to demonstrate these qualities. If he does, we've found our #1 for the foreseeable future

Reactions: ANDI P IS CUTE

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
There are going to be stretches where he has .890 goaltending

He isnt likely to he a franchisr goaltender

I see a top 10-15 starter as his ceiling in the next year and a half which he reaches. He does look like a guy who doesnt get hurt by pressure and can maintain his playstyle and compsure in the playoffs

Think he gets 35-40 starts this year and gives us a .915

Reactions: ANDI P IS CUTE

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
There's really not much to say about his ability that isn't immediately obvious. He just has a great understanding of the position and makes it look easy.

Whether he has the consistency and durability to be a legit #1 remains to be seen, but he undeniably has the talent

Reactions: 1specter

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015
He's literally been our best goalie prospect since Pogge imo (Was on the same level in his junior/college days). This kid had a ton of potential. Injuries slowed him down but he is finally showing what he is capable of. When I saw him play at the World Juniors I always thought he'd be a number 1...

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
You must not know ol koho very well, that was actually a non disguised shot at the mouthbreather LeaFlanders who like nothing more than to disparage our Captain for reasons that only they see. I really get sick and tired of having to read the bs about JT being washed up over the hill, no personality and all the rest of the horsepuckey they spew on a continual basis, when really the only objection they have is rooted in hating his contract.

I'm a long time member of Leaf Nation going back to the days when the Chief was leading the team to multiple SC's. If anyone back in those days disrespected George Armstrong it may have ended a friendship.

John has not led them to a SC and maybe that's where the problem lies. Regardless though he's been a great captain in the community, taking the lead in several longterm Leaf charities. Just like those Captains that have gone before him.

But Samsonov never be a clear #1 in his carreer... always 1A/ 1B even last year until Murray get injured, he was the #2... they got #1 spot by default because with Murray body unable to follow again.

In Washington nobody never really on it between him and vanecek...

In my mind Samsonov didn't prove he was a real #1, so i just dont how much we should consider Samsonov as #1 right now

Reactions: JKG33

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013

Awesome! You can count. But you don't have eyes......

Anyone with eyes sees he's our golden ticket.

Anyway, please just tell me the "sample size" you need??? 20 more games??? 30? Where? The ECHL??

You understand our best goalie should also be given the chance to work through the early sample size in TO right? Better for his "experience" which is what you seem to need. It's not like he's failing...

Amongst all the "teachable moments" you will probably harp on,,, there will be plenty of WINS. Way better than watching a stale sieve desperately try to earn his salary and whiff and cost us points.

Last edited:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Awesome! You can count. But you don't have eyes......

Anyone with eyes sees he's our golden ticket.

Anyway, please just tell me the "sample size" you need??? 20 more games??? 30? Where? The ECHL??

You understand our best goalie should also be given the chance to work through the early sample size in TO right? Better for his "experience" which is what you seem to need. It's not like he's failing...

Amongst all the "teachable moments" you will probably harp on,,, there will be plenty of WINS. Way better than watching a stale sieve desperately try to earn his salary and whiff and cost us points.

Probably 20-30 more games yeah, somewhere in that area.

It's common knowledge that two teams contracts were better than the Toronto one he signed.

SJ offered him 13 million who was the other team that offered more?

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Isles offerred an 8th year. An additional 11m.

SJ offer is a myth. Hence why the article mentioned perhaps more elsewhere :D

Isles offer would give him mover over 8 year but they would' be able to front load his contract the way we did and he knew it.

You need to consider inflation rates, like everyone else working with 7 or 8 year time frame. Discounting SJ fake offer no one actually made, Leafs offered more than desperate Islanders, he took no discount.

Plus he can make anywhere from 750k to 8M in year 8th here.

PS: That's before you consider we had Matthews so he was destined to play on the 2nd line occupied by Kadri. The only bright spot is Bruins didn't get him. yeah he wouldn't be worth 10-11 on Bs either but they had a legit need for C with Krejci and Bergeron on the cusp of retiring.

Last edited:

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
SJ offer is a myth. Hence why the article mentioned perhaps more elsewhere :D

Isles offer would give him mover over 8 year but they would' be able to front load his contract the way we did and he knew it.

You need to consider inflation rates, like everyone else working with 7 or 8 year time frame. Discounting SJ fake offer no one actually made, Leafs offered more than desperate Islanders, he took no discount.

Plus he can make anywhere from 750k to 8M in year 8th here.

PS: That's before you consider we had Matthews so he was destined to play on the 2nd line occupied by Kadri. The only bright spot is Bruins didn't get him. yeah he wouldn't be worth 10-11 on Bs either but they had a legit need for C with Krejci and Bergeron on the cusp of retiring.
If a highly sought UFA is offered and wants $88m and you can only offer 7 years, how do teams make that up? Most players do not pass up guaranteed money (who would?) unless there is another reason. JT's was for family reasons and wanting to play for the Leafs. He took less money to come here. Period.

Reactions: WillyC

Strangle

May 4, 2009

I’m 100% okay with that, it’s the crowning Samsonov as a #1 that I have issue with

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad