Jose Fernandez killed in boating accident; had drugs in system

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
A little out of hand ITT.

He was a world class pitcher and a great ambassador for his country in the game of baseball

He made a mistake, a very bad one. It happens to all of us, some just cost more.

In all honesty if this happened in the offseason I would have less of a problem with it. They were still technically in the playoff race. To disrespect the team that gave you everything is not cool. Party in the offseason.

Such a sad situation, but life can escalate quickly.

RIP to the most exciting pitcher in the game.

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
A little out of hand ITT.

He was a world class pitcher and a great ambassador for his country in the game of baseball

He made a mistake, a very bad one. It happens to all of us, some just cost more.

In all honesty if this happened in the offseason I would have less of a problem with it. They were still technically in the playoff race. To disrespect the team that gave you everything is not cool. Party in the offseason.

Such a sad situation, but life can escalate quickly.

RIP to the most exciting pitcher in the game.
Very well said with the exception that I don't believe he was partying for the sake of partying. I believe this was a result of whatever the issue was that he had with his GF that night & was trying to make his brain forget whatever said issue was. Just made a horrible choice in how to deal with it.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Nobody wants to touch this now.

Sucks for the kid because the lawsuit has merit. How much will they get?

Oan

Jan 31, 2011
In retrospect, all those tears shed last year now may seem foolish. The guy was drunk and coked out of his mind while driving that boat and crashing it and killing two other men. That's not a tradegy anymore, that's manslaughter.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
In retrospect, all those tears shed last year now may seem foolish. The guy was drunk and coked out of his mind while driving that boat and crashing it and killing two other men. That's not a tradegy anymore, that's manslaughter.

It can still be sad that it happened despite the circumstances.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
In retrospect, all those tears shed last year now may seem foolish. The guy was drunk and coked out of his mind while driving that boat and crashing it and killing two other men. That's not a tragedy anymore, that's manslaughter.

Exactly. End of story. Glad I didn't comment on this thread until the whole story finally came out.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

Pretty much this. I don't feel like I did when this first happened.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012

How is it not still a tragedy that three men, one who was an insanely talented athlete, lost their lives? Yeah, he's an idiot because he was heavily intoxicated and behind the wheel, but that doesn't make it not a tragedy.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
How is it not still a tragedy that three men, one who was an insanely talented athlete, lost their lives? Yeah, he's an idiot because he was heavily intoxicated and behind the wheel, but that doesn't make it not a tragedy.

It also doesn't make him a bad person. He wasn't the only one who made a mistake that night, all 3 men knowingly let someone drive a boat while heavily influenced. I disagree with everyone always just blaming the driver. They ALL made a huge mistake that night.

He needs to be remembered for how he lived, not how he died.

Tecumseh

Scorched Earth
Oct 20, 2012
Southbridge, MA
It's got to be the worst I've felt since the Nick Adenhart tragedy. There really is nothing that I could add. Feels like a punch in the stomach

I definitely don't feel this way any longer and I'm not going to make excuses for a man who made the decision to drink and drive. That being said, some people have real issue dealing with sudden fame/riches. It's extremely unfortunate what happened

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
It also doesn't make him a bad person. He wasn't the only one who made a mistake that night, all 3 men knowingly let someone drive a boat while heavily influenced. I disagree with everyone always just blaming the driver. They ALL made a huge mistake that night.

He needs to be remembered for how he lived, not how he died.

Agreed. His two buddies could have A) Taken the keys from him, B) Prevented him from operating the boat or C) Stayed inland.

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
i've lost friends in both ends of drunk driving accidents.

when they're the inflicting party, it's something you never forget about them but it's okay to still love and miss them. lots of people make mistakes, not everyone's mistakes are as dangerous and life-threatening at the time.

fernandez was a force not only in baseball but in the community. that shouldn't be taken away from him because of a really dumb decision.

ryan callahan

Jan 25, 2014
Québec,Canada
Holy **** the hypocrisy in this thread. If it was one of his buddies who crashed the boat, he would have been hated for years. Since it's Fernandez who did it ohhhhh it's sad. Get a grip guys.

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
I agree with those saying it's still a tragedy but also that it's changed how they felt about it. I look at it more as a tragedy that such stupid decision making took place leading up to this. All 3 men have families that will never be the same as a result. In Jose's case, it's drastically altered his family lifestyle forever. He could've created generational wealth.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
This whole thing sucks, from every angle.

I'm just going to choose to remember him on the field, dominating and loving the game.

061116_segura_fernandez_med_bst3pjam.gif

Fern-Manship-5th.gif

giphy.gif

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
QUOTE=robert terwilliger;129705749]yeah man, what heathens are we.[/QUOTE]

Man jose and that history of drunk driving charges he had!!! And the serial drug abuse!!!

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
To all those who have some self-perceived high moral standards, try and see the big picture. Fernandez' avoidable death will at least serve as a lesson. I did other stupid things in my life and was lucky they did not turn out too wrong.

Gruß,
BSHH

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
To all those who have some self-perceived high moral standards, try and see the big picture. Fernandez' avoidable death will at least serve as a lesson. I did other stupid things in my life and was lucky they did not turn out too wrong.

Gruß,
BSHH

I just read this in Brainy Smurf's voice.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

Gruß,
BSHH

A lesson for whom? Because history shows that no matter the high profile of the drunk killed while driving that it changes nothing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad