Jose Fernandez killed in boating accident; had drugs in system

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Young pro athlete, multi-millionaire, Miami, 2 am Saturday night out on a boat, yeah these results shouldn't be a shock to anyone.

It doesn't mean he was an a-hole or anything but let's be real here, he wasn't a monk either.

Sep 19, 2008
Most people get irresponsibly drunk but cocaine too? And then going out on a boat and getting in an accident? Get help. Don't do that to yourself

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Had a feeling there was more to the story.. it sucks.

But way too many people are casting judgement thats not needed, doesn't help anything.

Still don't know who was actually driving the boat either.

knifer

Sep 4, 2006
yk
What kind of sheltered lives do you people live. Hes young and rich, so he wanted to celebrate and have a good time with the boys . Now youre calling him stupid? You guys need to get out more.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
I was not calling Fernandez stupid, I was calling his action stupid and selfish. To go out in the middle of the night on a speed boat while your under the influence of alcohol and drugs that's a bad bad idea, you are putting your own life and the life of others at risk also.

Now his wife and child have to go on with him and baseball fans won't have the joy of watching pitch, he was a great talent and its such a waste to him to go this way...very sad.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
What kind of sheltered lives do you people live. Hes young and rich, so he wanted to celebrate and have a good time with the boys . Now youre calling him stupid? You guys need to get out more.

Drinking, doing lines and getting behind the wheel is pretty ****ing stupid. You can have great time without putting yourself and others with you in danger.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
He was having issues and used the drugs to try and cope with them. Been there, done that. It's sad but please don't call him stupid or other names. You don't know the demons people have inside.

This. I couldn't have said it better myself.

Elvis P

Revolution was a B side
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Mod Warning: Don't discuss your personal drug use/history. It's against the rules.

18) Discussion of illegal drugs should be kept within academic or newsworthy limits only. "How to" discussions and "I'm so stoned" posts may result in repercussions ranging from a warning to immediate and permanent banning, depending on previous history, context of post and nature/content of post. Promotion of anything illegal is strictly prohibited.
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/faq.php?faq=vb3_board_faq#faq_forum_rules

Mod Warning: Don't discuss your personal drug use/history. It's against the rules.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
damn missed this when it first happened

feels really weird even as an EXTREMELY casual baseball follower to have someone that was so good and so young just be gone

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Drinking, doing lines and getting behind the wheel is pretty ****ing stupid. You can have great time without putting yourself and others with you in danger.

Again, for the umpteenth time, there is still no evidence that he was actually the one driving the boat. Does that make it better? Not really, but why cast judgement without the facts?

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
Again, for the umpteenth time, there is still no evidence that he was actually the one driving the boat. Does that make it better? Not really, but why cast judgement without the facts?

earliest reports say that he wasn't driving, and I don't believe there was another report that said otherwise.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

earliest reports say that he wasn't driving, and I don't believe there was another report that said otherwise.

**** yeah bro only the real party animals get drunk and coked up before endangering themselves and others in vehicles. ****in HF posting from their mothers basements eh

I'm sorry but that's what happens when your stupid!!! Every individuals that's drives a motor vehicle while being impaired either on alcohol or drugs are selfish period. If you want to get drunk and get high on dope be my guess but just don't get behind the wheel it's selfish and stupid!! How many innocent victims are killed every year by impaired drivers? It's sad but Fernandez paid the ultimate price for his selfishness. It's sad for his kid and wife, his kid will have to grow up without a father now, they are the true victims in all this.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/witnes...boat-at-time-of-fatal-accident-162442388.html

Authorities have interviewed a “highly reliable” witness who said he was on the phone with Fernandez just before the crash and heard the pitcher giving another person directions about where to steer the boat, he said.
“If you tell me that he’d been drinking, I’d say, ‘So?’ He wasn’t driving — and he was very careful about that,” family attorney Ralph E. Fernandez added.

And alright, he did some cocaine. Hes a young twenty something millionaire celebrity, hanging out in Miami Beach with his boys, **** happens. The MLB does not suspend players for testing positive for drugs such as cocaine. Aside from doing a controlled substance he technically did not break any rules. Who knows, maybe his buddy offered it and he said what the hell why not. We were all 24 at some points and I'm sure many of us have been offered it or wanted to try it.

& by the sounds of it he wasn't even a regular user at all, its allegedly out of character for him. We aren't talking about Doc Gooden here.

Young pro athlete, multi-millionaire, Miami, 2 am Saturday night out on a boat, yeah these results shouldn't be a shock to anyone.

It doesn't mean he was an a-hole or anything but let's be real here, he wasn't a monk either.

My thinking too.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke

Given that the boat had flipped over and the men were recovered outside of the boat near the water and rocks, I'm not sure how this was determined.

Unless there were eyewitness reports prior to the crash, which still doesn't necessarily prevent Fernandez from having taken over driving at some point afterwards. :help:

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
After looking into it more there are no early reports suggesting Fernandez was NOT the driver. However there also is not any evidence (at least none that has been released to the public) that suggests he WAS the driver either.

In my opinion, it doesn't matter who was driving though. It doesn't make the act any less stupid or selfish on Fernandez's part. Based on the texts and conversations that have been reported it was Fernandez's idea to go out on the boat despite his friends urging him to just go home.

Imagine how much different we'd be looking at this if instead of the boat crashing into a jetty it crashed into another boat with a person or people on it. I think then more would agree that what he did was selfish.

snowden

Man is matter
Jul 5, 2011
Fernandez is an idiot as are the other two. Let's move on from this preventable, idiotic reason. Jose is not the saint we think we he was. He was an ******* druggie and undeserving of the love. Come at me now bros

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
After looking into it more there are no early reports suggesting Fernandez was NOT the driver. However there also is not any evidence (at least none that has been released to the public) that suggests he WAS the driver either.

In my opinion, it doesn't matter who was driving though. It doesn't make the act any less stupid or selfish on Fernandez's part. Based on the texts and conversations that have been reported it was Fernandez's idea to go out on the boat despite his friends urging him to just go home.

Imagine how much different we'd be looking at this if instead of the boat crashing into a jetty it crashed into another boat with a person or people on it. I think then more would agree that what he did was selfish.
This. The constant debate about who was driving is irrelevant to me. The driving, done by whoever, was still done under the influence while the other two passengers, whoever they were, were also under the influence. It's a stupid thing to do, and I'm not gonna say it's okay cause he was overall a seemingly good dude and wanted to try some stuff.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Fernandez is an idiot as are the other two. Let's move on from this preventable, idiotic reason. Jose is not the saint we think we he was. He was an ******* druggie and undeserving of the love. Come at me now bros

You seem bitter just for the sake of being bitter. :dunno:

I could care less what you think about him, the tragedy here is the loss of supreme talent to the league....oh, and also to his legions of fans and a family that now must gather the pieces and try to move on without him.

redfzn

Nov 12, 2007
NYC
bmcccuny.facebook.com
This. The constant debate about who was driving is irrelevant to me. The driving, done by whoever, was still done under the influence while the other two passengers, whoever they were, were also under the influence. It's a stupid thing to do, and I'm not gonna say it's okay cause he was overall a seemingly good dude and wanted to try some stuff.

They only need to figure out if José was driving to know whether or not they can sue his estate unfortunately.

redfzn

Nov 12, 2007
NYC
bmcccuny.facebook.com
You seem bitter just for the sake of being bitter. :dunno:

I could care less what you think about him, the tragedy here is the loss of supreme talent to the league....oh, and also to his legions of fans and a family that now must gather the pieces and try to move on without him.

So you do care ;)

Either way, blow or no blow, this is a major tragedy and loss to the baseball community.

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013

Well one of them wasn't considered under the influence at only a 0.04 with no cocaine. If he were driving I can't see much of the blame placed on the decision to partake in the drugs and alcohol. Unlikely of course considering he had met Fernandez that night but there is the limited possibility in there that it was still an accident not directly caused by operating a vessel under the influence.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton

We would just be wasting our time. You're calling someone who is now dead an idiot? :shakehead

Class, its something you lack.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI

I will. Location?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad