Jose Fernandez killed in boating accident; had drugs in system

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
I haven't read any of the details, but why would you think that? That just seems highly unlikely.

If you are at the bar and then going anywhere other than to go to bed, you get more booze to keep the "party" going.

Based on every police report that had come out literally stating "there was so sign of alcohol or drug consumption at the scene or on the boat".

Of course, I thought that was unlikely but I nor anyone else could outright say that wasn't true given that the police had repeatedly reported they did not suspect any alcohol had been consumed on the boat based on the scene.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I stand a bit corrected on that.....the receipt was actually from "a bar", so it could have just been from the bar they were at before they boarded the boat, but the time stamp was still shortly before they got on the boat, so they were possibly all drunk when they began the fatal ride.

And sadly, this all could be leading up to one or both of the families of the other 2 guys suing the Fernandez estate for wrongful death.

Doubt that would go anywhere until it's proven that Jose was the one driving the boat.

Suppose his friend drove the boat into that jetty; do you think that the man's family could then successfully sue the family of Fernandez for a death that their own son had caused? :help:

I mean, I know frivolous lawsuits are all the rage in US courts, but I don't see this one being very successful.

Sep 19, 2008
Very disappointed in this young man for taking this route

He should have known better than to coke up and get drunk on the boat

allegedly

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
the new information shouldn't change a thing about how people look at him. like we haven't done that stuff before ourselves.

it just makes all this even more sad than it already is

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
I'm sorry but that's what happens when your stupid!!! Every individuals that's drives a motor vehicle while being impaired either on alcohol or drugs are selfish period. If you want to get drunk and get high on dope be my guess but just don't get behind the wheel it's selfish and stupid!! How many innocent victims are killed every year by impaired drivers? It's sad but Fernandez paid the ultimate price for his selfishness. It's sad for his kid and wife, his kid will have to grow up without a father now, they are the true victims in all this.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Had a child on the way and he's doing cocaine and getting drunk on a boat at 3am. Paid the consequences.

Still a tradegy to lose JDF16 like this, but if you're not responsible, it will get you one day. Doesn't really change the way I look at him, just makes this tragedy less shocking.

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
I'm sorry but that's what happens when your stupid!!! Every individuals that's drives a motor vehicle while being impaired either on alcohol or drugs are selfish period. If you want to get drunk and get high on dope be my guess but just don't get behind the wheel it's selfish and stupid!! How many innocent victims are killed every year by impaired drivers? It's sad but Fernandez paid the ultimate price for his selfishness. It's sad for his kid and wife, his kid will have to grow up without a father now, they are the true victims in all this.

I don't think "selfish" is the right word. To me, that implies he's getting something out of the situation. A stupid decision that puts yourself at a risk of death is not selfish.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
He was having issues and used the drugs to try and cope with them. Been there, done that. It's sad but please don't call him stupid or other names. You don't know the demons people have inside.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Eh NOW I kind of see him as selfish for what happened...although if he wasn't driving the boat it's not like it caused the accident. But still not exactly a great example to set going off and getting drugs late at night. A few beers is one thing but drugs is another.

Yes he was what he was as a person but he had strong demons too it would seem. Unless it was a one-time cocaine thing like it supposedly was with Len Bias.

I don't think "selfish" is the right word. To me, that implies he's getting something out of the situation. A stupid decision that puts yourself at a risk of death is not selfish.

It's selfish putting your own vices above your family.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
That's heartbreaking if it's legit.

Guy had the whole world in his hands and he goes and does that. A kid isn't going to have a dad because he was too stupid.

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
Eh NOW I kind of see him as selfish for what happened...although if he wasn't driving the boat it's not like it caused the accident. But still not exactly a great example to set going off and getting drugs late at night. A few beers is one thing but drugs is another.

Yes he was what he was as a person but he had strong demons too it would seem. Unless it was a one-time cocaine thing like it supposedly was with Len Bias.

It's selfish putting your own vices above your family.

In my opinion this isn't a far cry from saying suicide is selfish.

Coping with your own personal issues isn't selfish. Doing it with dangerous drugs and dangerous activities is stupid.

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California

It's definitely selfish. He was more concerned with getting himself intoxicated for one night than considering his wife and child's future. Not to mention the possibility of injuring himself or others along the way which sadly happened.

I still will remember him as a good person, but I do think we shouldn't just look past the fact that he was acting in an incredibly stupid and reckless manner and that is why he and his 2 friends are no longer here.

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
I think most if not all of us have been irresponsibly drunk many times in our lives. Some of us have maybe done cocaine as well. However I don't think any of us have done those things and then decided to go out on a boat in the middle of the night and speed around. This incident doesn't define who he was, but as I said in my previous post, let's not act like this isn't a very stupid thing that he did and it will have repercussions in many innocent lives.

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
It's definitely selfish. He was more concerned with getting himself intoxicated for one night than considering his wife and child's future. Not to mention the possibility of injuring himself or others along the way which sadly happened.

I still will remember him as a good person, but I do think we shouldn't just look past the fact that he was acting in an incredibly stupid and reckless manner and that is why he and his 2 friends are no longer here.

There's substantial evidence that he wasn't driving the boat.

As for the selfish. "Concerned for getting himself intoxicated." Making it sound like he was a drunk, coke fiend that went out partying non stop. This sounds more like a case where a guy was struggling mentally after an argument and turned to drugs/alcohol to help. Stupid? Yes. Selfish? No. Traditional selfishness typically involves the guilty party getting any sort of benefit from the situation. He wasn't.

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
There's substantial evidence that he wasn't driving the boat.

As for the selfish. "Concerned for getting himself intoxicated." Making it sound like he was a drunk, coke fiend that went out partying non stop. This sounds more like a case where a guy was struggling mentally after an argument and turned to drugs/alcohol to help. Stupid? Yes. Selfish? No. Traditional selfishness typically involves the guilty party getting any sort of benefit from the situation. He wasn't.

I didn't intend to infer that using drugs or alcohol to deal with your problems is stupid or selfish. I'm saying that using drugs and alcohol and then getting on a boat in the middle of the night is stupid and selfish. I'm not going to tell anyone how they should or shouldn't use drugs and alcohol, it's their decision obviously. But it should be pretty widely accepted at this point that driving a car or boat while heavily inebriated isn't a bright thing to do and given the circumstances was absolutely selfish.

To me being selfish involves only considering oneself with no thought for how your actions may affect others. In this case, Jose decided to get drunk/coked out and get on/drive his boat in the middle of the night. He put himself in an extremely dangerous situation with no thought for how said situation may affect those that loved him.

Whether he was driving the boat is kind of irrelevant too (although I haven't read anything stating there is reason to believe he was or wasn't driving. Wasn't aware they could determine that). It was his boat, and based on the texts it appears it was his idea to get on the boat despite being urged not to by friends.

We can remember Jose fondly while also letting this be yet another tragic lesson of what happens when you drink and drive, or in this case boat.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Selfish and stupid, ESPECIALLY when one is a parent. Now a kid will grow up without a father. Dumb ass.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad