Jose Bautista gives Jays his contract demands, refuses to negotiate off of them

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I love how, ever since this story came out, the Jays have tried to land one right fielder, and traded for another.

You're being replaced, Jose. Better deliver this season, if you want anything close to that hilarious demand of yours. :laugh:

If Jay Bruce or especially Brown are there planned replacements for Bautista then we are in for a world of hurt :laugh: I think the more likely situation is seeing the Jays go after someone like Reddick next offseason.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Well sure, even Reddick would be far-fetched to replicate what Bautista brings to the table.

But given the rest of the lineup, I think they can afford to take the hit in production if the dollar value makes more sense.

Reddick at $8-10 mil for even half of the production, makes more sense than an aging Bautista at $30+ mil

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
You're not going to get Reddick for backup OF money. He has arguably the best arm in RF and can hit. He's going to get full time starter money.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Well sure, even Reddick would be far-fetched to replicate what Bautista brings to the table.

But given the rest of the lineup, I think they can afford to take the hit in production if the dollar value makes more sense.

Reddick at $8-10 mil for even half of the production, makes more sense than an aging Bautista at $30+ mil

We aren't going to get a player of Bautista's quality, Reddick is a well above average RF and would be a massive upgrade in the field. He would probably be looking at in the 15m+ but I would much rather pay Reddick 15 million then Bautista 30 million.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
You're not going to get Reddick for backup OF money. He has arguably the best arm in RF and can hit. He's going to get full time starter money.

We aren't going to get a player of Bautista's quality, Reddick is a well above average RF and would be a massive upgrade in the field. He would probably be looking at in the 15m+ but I would much rather pay Reddick 15 million then Bautista 30 million.

I'm fine with him getting a raise if he chooses to play here.....was only basing my point on this year's salary, more or less.

Shapiro would most likely opt for Reddick at that price as well, instead of Bautista and his wacky demands.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON

To be fair, no reports have indicated that Joey Bats is seeking an AAV is 30+ mil, in fact they have suggested that he is looking for less than 30 mil AAV but more than 5 years, which is still crazy. All we know that's been rumoured is this

- Over 5 years
- Over 150 mil
- Under 30 AAV

Maybe it's something like 6/165? I don't really know, but I would think it would have to be somewhere between 6/150 and 6/180.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
does anyone else find it odd that in his interview he said that there are no home town discounts in his world and then literally next sentence said he gave the jays a home town discount the past five years? :laugh:

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
does anyone else find it odd that in his interview he said that there are no home town discounts in his world and then literally next sentence said he gave the jays a home town discount the past five years? :laugh:

I think he meant anymore. His previous contract wasn't a hometown discount when he signed it. It was very questionable considering no track record and Jose didn't have the negotiating power... He's now a bonefied superstar offensive player. His offensive worth is among the elite of the elite... It won't maintain over a 5 year deal, but today, he's trying to cash in on that because he left a lot behind in his last deal... I don't blame him - the franchise isn't serious about winning, so why not get paid?

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I think he meant anymore. His previous contract wasn't a hometown discount when he signed it. It was very questionable considering no track record and Jose didn't have the negotiating power... He's now a bonefied superstar offensive player. His offensive worth is among the elite of the elite... It won't maintain over a 5 year deal, but today, he's trying to cash in on that because he left a lot behind in his last deal... I don't blame him - the franchise isn't serious about winning, so why not get paid?

How exactly is the franchise not serious about winning?

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
How exactly is the franchise not serious about winning?

The Jays needed a new president. They decided to hire someone whose well known as a businessman considering the big investment of the dome renovations coming up. He's now going to be the boss of the reigning executive of the year, and the reigning executive of the year has earned autonomy over baseball decisions. He doesn't like it and leaves. They then proceed to hire a GM whose never won anything, and not even present a contract offer to free agent David Price.

Jay Bruce was targeted, our big free agent pitcher was JA Happ... Should I go on?

I love this team, but it's been a comedy of errors and poor management. We're owned by a corporation and not a person, and that creates challenges when it comes to direction from the top.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
The Jays needed a new president. They decided to hire someone whose well known as a businessman considering the big investment of the dome renovations coming up. He's now going to be the boss of the reigning executive of the year, and the reigning executive of the year has earned autonomy over baseball decisions. He doesn't like it and leaves. They then proceed to hire a GM whose never won anything, and not even present a contract offer to free agent David Price.

Jay Bruce was targeted, our big free agent pitcher was JA Happ... Should I go on?

I love this team, but it's been a comedy of errors and poor management. We're owned by a corporation and not a person, and that creates challenges when it comes to direction from the top.

What the Jays did and are doing with Shapiro is not reinventing the wheel, the GM having to report to his president is extremely common place in baseball, AA had a cozy setup where he didn't have to before that doesn't mean it is unreasonable to expect that from him now....Also kind of hard to say AA wanted autonomy when he is currently working as 4th in command for the Dodgers....That is a whole lot less autonomy then was being offered by the Jays. Also Shapiro is far more a baseball guy then Beeston could ever think of being, Beeston was literally just a business guy and Shapiro started out as a GM and you are saying the Jays hired a business first president? From an incumbent that was business first. As for Price, honestly who cares if they didn't present an offer? Would them throwing a low ball offer and wasting each others time really have made things better? Price would still be in Boston. If they thought they had a chance at signing Price I am sure there would have been an offer. As for Happ if you paid attention to the pitching market this winter Happ may have been one of the better value signing all winter, I have no idea how that is a negative in any way. Bruce would have been a mistake.....Would have, it didn't happen though so you can't really hold that against them lol

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
What the Jays did and are doing with Shapiro is not reinventing the wheel, the GM having to report to his president is extremely common place in baseball, AA had a cozy setup where he didn't have to before that doesn't mean it is unreasonable to expect that from him now....Also kind of hard to say AA wanted autonomy when he is currently working as 4th in command for the Dodgers....That is a whole lot less autonomy then was being offered by the Jays. Also Shapiro is far more a baseball guy then Beeston could ever think of being, Beeston was literally just a business guy and Shapiro started out as a GM and you are saying the Jays hired a business first president? From an incumbent that was business first. As for Price, honestly who cares if they didn't present an offer? Would them throwing a low ball offer and wasting each others time really have made things better? Price would still be in Boston. If they thought they had a chance at signing Price I am sure there would have been an offer. As for Happ if you paid attention to the pitching market this winter Happ may have been one of the better value signing all winter, I have no idea how that is a negative in any way. Bruce would have been a mistake.....Would have, it didn't happen though so you can't really hold that against them lol

He was never any good though? What has Cleveland won during his time, and why is he more qualified to make baseball decisions today? The Indians were terrible last year, the Jays won the East. Who should we give the keys to? Alex wanted final say on baseball matters and Shapiro wasn't going to give them... I'd resign and go elsewhere too if my boss hired someone with a different area of expertise who was also put in charge of supervising me at my job, which I'm among the best in the world at. **** that. I just made a breakthrough and enjoyed our companies first success in two decades and NOW you're bringing someone in to supervise my decisions? **** you.

Is he happy in LA? Probably not, but I don't blame him one bit for feeling disrespected when asked to take a step back after driving this team to their best season in a quarter century... He played hardball and lost, now he's gonna wait for another opportunity. (Rumour is that he thinks baseball in Montreal is a possibility and is holding out to go guide his hometown team)

Shapiro was hired because he's known as a penny pincher and there's big renovations needed at the dome. Rogers was typically more concerned about dollars today they anything else... It's gonna be a harsh reality check when they're back down to 25-30k attendance because the team is mediocre. Again.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
He was never any good though? What has Cleveland won during his time, and why is he more qualified to make baseball decisions today? The Indians were terrible last year, the Jays won the East. Who should we give the keys to? Alex wanted final say on baseball matters and Shapiro wasn't going to give them... I'd resign and go elsewhere too if my boss hired someone with a different area of expertise who was also put in charge of supervising me at my job, which I'm among the best in the world at. **** that. I just made a breakthrough and enjoyed our companies first success in two decades and NOW you're bringing someone in to supervise my decisions? **** you.

Is he happy in LA? Probably not, but I don't blame him one bit for feeling disrespected when asked to take a step back after driving this team to their best season in a quarter century... He played hardball and lost, now he's gonna wait for another opportunity. (Rumour is that he thinks baseball in Montreal is a possibility and is holding out to go guide his hometown team)

Shapiro was hired because he's known as a penny pincher and there's big renovations needed at the dome. Rogers was typically more concerned about dollars today they anything else... It's gonna be a harsh reality check when they're back down to 25-30k attendance because the team is mediocre. Again.
Shapiro consistently had some of the top executives in baseball working around him and a lot of those people are now running other successful organizations around the league. The fact that Shapiro is shrewd with money should be seen as a positive not a negative I have never really gotten that, the Jays have a 140 million to spend and somehow being shrewd with the money is a bad thing? He had half the resources at his hands in Cleveland that he does now and was more successful over that time then the Jays were.

I think making decisions based on a one year sample where AA was white hot having gotten the Jays to the playoffs is not very reasonable lets not forget this time last year people were talking about wanting AA gone it wasn't all rose's. I am not trying to say that Shapiro is some savior but I just do not understand 1) trying to make Antoupolous out to be a victim and 2) painting Shapiro out to be the bad guy for asking for a GM that reports to him when it is an incredibly reasonable request. As for the Rogers and penny pinching thing, and I have thought this for a long time, the budget the Jays have is more then enough to win a world series. Like I get it Rogers is the big bad corporation that everybody hates(I do too) but if you can't build a winning roster with 140 million in my opinion the blame should shift from ownership to the people actually spending the money.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Shapiro consistently had some of the top executives in baseball working around him and a lot of those people are now running other successful organizations around the league. The fact that Shapiro is shrewd with money should be seen as a positive not a negative I have never really gotten that, the Jays have a 140 million to spend and somehow being shrewd with the money is a bad thing? He had half the resources at his hands in Cleveland that he does now and was more successful over that time then the Jays were.

I think making decisions based on a one year sample where AA was white hot having gotten the Jays to the playoffs is not very reasonable lets not forget this time last year people were talking about wanting AA gone it wasn't all rose's. I am not trying to say that Shapiro is some savior but I just do not understand 1) trying to make Antoupolous out to be a victim and 2) painting Shapiro out to be the bad guy for asking for a GM that reports to him when it is an incredibly reasonable request. As for the Rogers and penny pinching thing, and I have thought this for a long time, the budget the Jays have is more then enough to win a world series. Like I get it Rogers is the big bad corporation that everybody hates(I do too) but if you can't build a winning roster with 140 million in my opinion the blame should shift from ownership to the people actually spending the money.

It may be a reasonable request, but is it the right move? Should Shapiro have authority over baseball decisions? I don't think so.. Given the disadvantage by the dollar and the border, we need someone whose bold and will go take chances in trades etc. Alex was that guy.... Cautious and conservative when the team is on the cusp of being a real threat is a great way to miss the window.

People may have wanted him gone before last year, but those people should closely evaluate his body of work. The trade with the Marlins didn't work out how expected, but he tried. (Hindsight 20/20 but at the time, this was deemed a fleece job etc) He then went and got Donaldson for nothing, Tulowitzki and Price... He built a championship caliber team out of a team in shambles 5 years ago... They didn't win but they're right there.

Ftr Alex isn't a victim. We all get screwed by Rogers caring more about money then people.. He's just the most public example of Rogers not appreciating those who prop them up on their high horse.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB

I understand your bitterness, but feel that it is misplaced. After the run the team just had. For context, I have no dog in this race, I'm a Mariners fan :)cry:)

Yes, AA made a bunch of trades that were blockbuster and the Jays played out of their minds down the stretch, but let us not forget all the mediocrity for the yeeeeeears assembled by AA. Do not forget that before all the trades this team was 50-51.

All the credit in the world to him, but, imo this was more a result of a team full of stars all hitting their stride as one after a few big acquisitions, than it was the beginning of a dynasty or whatever. This team, sans Price (who only plays every 5th day) and Tulo was under .500 pretty late in the season.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
You do realize how unlucky they were to be 50-51 right? Their run differential was nuts and you can't judge a GM, especially in baseball, the first few years. He completely built their farm system. The guy did a great job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad