Jose Bautista gives Jays his contract demands, refuses to negotiate off of them

eyetest is useless

Oct 25, 2014
yeah no way hanley ramirez can dh, no sir. better blow 30 million a year on someone.

agreed. Just makes way too much sense to slide Hanley into DH and let the young guys battle it out for 1B. No real reason to think that he legitimately cant hit anymore.

As for Bautista, if he wants to test the market and see if he can get 150 million, more power to him. It just aint gonna happen.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
My take on both Jose & Edwin that i posted in the Panthers board:

I'd keep them for the year. Two premier players who give the Jays the best shot to win the AL East and make another run at the World Series. Your not going to get equal value dealing them to win this year.

When the seasons over offer them both a reasonable qualifying offer. If they accept that'd be great (doubtful they do), and if they don't gladly take the high draft pick that would be than attached from qualifying them.

We'd get two nice draft picks to put towards our depleted farm system if they walk, and at the same time get to free up a lot of money to spend towards the other 8 players who need new deals at the end of the year. Or other UFA's. Or put towards locking up our MVP for a longer term. :D

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
That bat flip premium.

Hopefully this doesn't put on added pressure on Jose to perform this year. I can see this going very awry on his part. Slumps/injuries that deteriorate his value.
It will. He just made his contract situation front page news, when he could have given the generic answer that most guys give when asked about contract situation..

My impression is that he isn't happy with the organization, and he's gonna get everything he wants to stay, or he'll leave...

He isn't getting 30m per beyond maybe 2-3 years. Even still, I can't imagine someone paying him that. Will he still leave if Toronto offers the most money? That's the most likely scenario IMO

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
I see mention of trading him, isn't Bautista a 10 and 5 guy?

Yeah. If he doesn't resign in Toronto now, the only option is to qualify him and take the draft pick. Ideally they could pull off an RA Dickey where they find a partner and allow a window to work out an extension. Unlikely, but best case scenario if he isn't resigned.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
My take on both Jose & Edwin that i posted in the Panthers board:

I'd keep them for the year. Two premier players who give the Jays the best shot to win the AL East and make another run at the World Series. Your not going to get equal value dealing them to win this year.

When the seasons over offer them both a reasonable qualifying offer. If they accept that'd be great (doubtful they do), and if they don't gladly take the high draft pick that would be than attached from qualifying them.

We'd get two nice draft picks to put towards our depleted farm system if they walk, and at the same time get to free up a lot of money to spend towards the other 8 players who need new deals at the end of the year. Or other UFA's. Or put towards locking up our MVP for a longer term. :D

There's no guarantee that the picks really work out though. I'd rather trade them for a known commodity. You can't let both of them go for nothing.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I don't think either side will be unhappy with that.

But if he expected Rogers to give in to his apparently ludicrous demands due to some sort of fan backlash that certainly won't be the case.

Yea, Donaldson has face of the franchise written all over him and is 6 years younger. As well as Stroman.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
He should kind of get that contract but there should be an opt out. All these contracts where the player starts degrading in the final few years makes me like the opt out action to give some flexibility.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Or in the WC or striking distance. Unless they are out of the race they aren't being traded and as it's been mentioned they have veto rights on any trade.

And a lot would have to go wrong for them not to be in the race. Even if pitching falls flat you still have that offense to prop them up.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
carl crawford filled a need at the time and was theoretically in the prime of his career.

bautista's value is driven by being a right-handed power hitter. the red sox have that.

by the time bautista theoretically hits free agency he'll be 36 and his ability to play the field long-term will be in doubt. the red sox have hanley ramirez already.

look i think it'd be a lot of fun to watch bautista hit 500 foot homeruns onto the mass pike in a red sox uniform. it just doesn't fit. they don't give deals like that to guys like bautista. even sandoval and ramirez only got five and four years respectively. bautista is looking for more than that. it's not a fit.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
carl crawford filled a need at the time and was theoretically in the prime of his career.

bautista's value is driven by being a right-handed power hitter. the red sox have that.

by the time bautista theoretically hits free agency he'll be 36 and his ability to play the field long-term will be in doubt. the red sox have hanley ramirez already.

look i think it'd be a lot of fun to watch bautista hit 500 foot homeruns onto the mass pike in a red sox uniform. it just doesn't fit. they don't give deals like that to guys like bautista. even sandoval and ramirez only got five and four years respectively. bautista is looking for more than that. it's not a fit.
Honestly I don't really see a team that is a fit at his current asking price.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I love how, ever since this story came out, the Jays have tried to land one right fielder, and traded for another.

You're being replaced, Jose. Better deliver this season, if you want anything close to that hilarious demand of yours. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad