Jose Bautista gives Jays his contract demands, refuses to negotiate off of them

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
track record of signing dh's to long term deals? they wouldn't go over two years for david ortiz.

need? if they want a right-handed dh from the dominican-republic they need only look at first base.

they have outfielders. betts, bradley, castilla, moncada on the way, young through 2017. they do not have a need for jose bautista.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I'm sure Joey Bats doesn't want to DH for another couple years anyway. As much as he wants to cash in, he also wants to do it his way and the guy loves playing right field. He would probably take it as an insult if someone wanted to sign him just to DH right now.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Wouldn't give him the years or $$$ he wants at 35 so he may have to learn the word compromise.

I would think anything longer than 3 years would be too much of a gamble for a MLB team. As for the average value of that 3 year deal? Between $60 - $75 million depending on how much the team feels he will produce in the coming 3 years? Is he still going to be a 40 HR and 100 RBI guy? If not, then don't overpay to keep him.

Slush

Jan 26, 2016
Calgary, Canada
I actually wouldn't mind seeing Bautista leave especially since he wants that much money. No 35/36yr old is worth that much money!

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
He's a ****** who wants to hold the Blue jays hostage. He should remember where he came from when he couldn't hit a fastball down the middle if you told him it was coming.

How is he holding the Blue Jays hostage? I swear some of you guys have no idea how negotiations work. Much less, that this is a challenge to Rogers. Additionally, why are you bringing up irrelevant information?

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I'm sure Joey Bats doesn't want to DH for another couple years anyway. As much as he wants to cash in, he also wants to do it his way and the guy loves playing right field. He would probably take it as an insult if someone wanted to sign him just to DH right now.

I just hope he doesn't mess up that shoulder again, trying to be all gung-ho and nabbing a runner at first base. :help:

How is he holding the Blue Jays hostage? I swear some of you guys have no idea how negotiations work. Much less, that this is a challenge to Rogers. Additionally, why are you bringing up irrelevant information?

Doesn't sound like much of a negotiation to me.

Sounds more like, "This is what I want, and that's final". :laugh:

Bautista shows up on Day 1 of spring training, after a long offseason of change within the Jays organization, and immediately says, hey, you know what this team needs? A big ol' juicy distraction, that's what.

Now there's this dark cloud hanging over the team. It's bad enough the fanbase was so enamoured with AA that many aren't even giving Shapiro/Atkins a fair shake. Now management has to deal with a malcontent "leader" who's on the wrong side of 30 and asking for some pretty serious coin. Actually, not even asking. Demanding.

If I'm Rogers, I'm already looking ahead to the post-Bautista era. Maybe that's why they were shopping for right fielder Jay Bruce, in the first place.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Richard Griffin was the first to report that he was seeking more. Griffin is a veteran when it comes to covering the jays, but he's a crusty old man. Tough to say whether or not the reports are true and if Heyman is simply getting that tidbit from him. If it is indeed more, oi vey. I love you Jose, but you better win something this year then.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
I don't think either side will be unhappy with that.

But if he expected Rogers to give in to his apparently ludicrous demands due to some sort of fan backlash that certainly won't be the case.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
How? He's going to get paid and the Jays are going to lose him.

I don't think you'll find too many Jays fans, screaming at Rogers to pay a 35+ year old Jose Bautista $30+ mil per season until he's over 40. :help:

He's in for a rough year if he slumps out of the gate....the fans will turn on him quickly, if they haven't already.

Must look great in the clubhouse, too, asking for, what, double the salary that they just awarded last season's AL MVP?

Good stuff, Jose, class act all the way. :laugh:

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
That bat flip premium.

Hopefully this doesn't put on added pressure on Jose to perform this year. I can see this going very awry on his part. Slumps/injuries that deteriorate his value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad