Confirmed with Link: Jordan Weal to AZ for Jacob Graves & 2019 6th Round Pick

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Read my follow up post.... Coyotes website had him in #40. Grabner is also listed wearing the same number.
This will 100% change as soon as whoever adds numbers to the page is told by the team source what number they should add. I’ll bet you fifty bucks Weal doesn’t wear #40 in his first game with the Yotes.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
This will 100% change as soon as whoever adds numbers to the page is told by the team source what number they should add. I’ll bet you fifty bucks Weal doesn’t wear #40 in his first game with the Yotes.

We'll find out tomorrow night. ;)

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
So, he has wheels? Seriously annoyed by the lack of good answers from the Philly-people about him. They are just "ah, terrible give-away, cost us a game". Yeah, there are always terrible give-aways, let's hope he has filled his quota for some games then.

But if he is fast, and works hard, there is hope he can be turned into a good player. With both Grabner and Richardson out- again- someone needs to be a threat on the PK to make the system work. I noticed I wasn't the only one thinking about that, either.

Here's one for hoping they found a gem.

Edit: OK, I see now they complain he lacks top speed. Ok. So not a Power Killer. Well, but at least it's a player...

Last edited:

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
I would much rather shuttle Bunting, Merkley, and Helewka up for the rest of the season to see what we have in those 22/23 year olds in our own system.

Seems like a good trade to me, getting rid of a contract was arguably worth a 6th in itself now, it was a contract not even been used with Tuscon.

And who knows, perhaps he will grow with the tasks... Hopefully. He must be waveable if he doesn't show anything.

The way this looks guys will get call-ups anyways... o_O

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
I would much rather shuttle Bunting, Merkley, and Helewka up for the rest of the season to see what we have in those 22/23 year olds in our own system.

Not a single one of those guys are a center though. If it were a winger sure.

We had one center on the roster prior to this move. I still want to send out a useless contract like Graves and get another center.

Hell, I'd love to send out Goligoski to someone for a decent center and a pick.

Reactions: Name Nameless

rt

May 13, 2004
So, he has wheels? Seriously annoyed by the lack of good answers from the Philly-people about him. They are just "ah, terrible give-away, cost us a game". Yeah, there are always terrible give-aways, let's hope he has filled his quota for some games then.

But if he is fast, and works hard, there is hope he can be turned into a good player. With both Grabner and Richardson out- again- someone needs to be a threat on the PK to make the system work. I noticed I wasn't the only one thinking about that, either.

Here's one for hoping they found a gem.

Edit: OK, I see now they complain he lacks top speed. Ok. So not a Power Killer. Well, but at least it's a player...
He’s quick and works hard.

Murf

Apr 10, 2007
WESTSIDE(of Gilbert)
He will be a UFA and be playing for his next contract, so we can only hope that we will see the best he has to offer. He doesn’t need to follow the typical “pout and underperform so I can get traded” model that most use to get off this team.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Art.Vandelay

@kash2112
Aug 2, 2005
Glendale, AZ
Some good info from The Athletic (requires subscription)

Breaking down the Jordan Weal trade, and whether the Flyers...

Among regular Philadelphia forwards, only three — Sean Couturier, Claude Giroux and Travis Konecny — hold a higher adjusted Corsi For Percentage than Weal and his 52.83 percent rate. And by Corsica.Hockey’s Expected Goals model, which accounts for shot quality and location, no Flyers forward performed better than Weal. His 57.45 percent xG For Percentage was downright stellar, as was his +8.22 percent performance by RelTM metrics, meaning than on average, his linemates performed more than eight percentage points better in terms of driving xG differential when they played with Weal, as opposed to their time spent away from him. Those are impressive results.

Additionally, in the neutral zone, Weal was regularly a wizard with the puck. In the 20-game dataset for the Flyers tracked so far by Corey Sznajder, Weal led all forwards with a 73.21 percent Controlled Entry Percentage, meaning that nearly three out of every four entries that he generated came with possession of the puck.

While stats aren't everything, for a cheap pickup he seems to bring some skills the Coyotes are sorely lacking, especially zone entry.

rt

May 13, 2004
Flyers fans seem to have turned on him in a big way and seem to dislike him a lot. Some are admitting it has to do with being disappointed that he didn’t progress offensively following a pretty big burst early on. More to do with expectations than performance in a vacuum. Also having to do with disappointment in team performance and older, depth players impeding opportunities for younger players that fans now have higher hopes for.

Many of us can appreciate the sentiment. My lower expectations are a warm body that doesn’t hurt the team, while we’re ravaged by injuries. My higher expectations are a guy who can prove he’s more valuable than Kempe or Archibald. If he can be more valuable than Cousins, I’ll be very happy.

Cousins and Archibald are a little tougher to play against. Both are basically finished products. Both are basically 10g 10a 4th liners (if used correctly). Weal is basically the same but could possibly have a little more offensive upside (his numbers at lower levels are better than these two) and could possibly prove to be an okay center option with decent FO% and a RHS.

Stickiness:
1. Cousins
2. Archibald
3. Weal (still quite sticky)

Offensive Upside:
1. Weal (still not much)
2. Cousins
3. Archibald

Optionality:
1. Weal
2. Cousins
3. Archibald

Defense/Two-Way Play/Doesn’t Hurt Team: Tied. All just passable.

Last edited:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
He's a quick skater who's very good at puck possession. He'll skate all over the offensive zone and always seems to have the puck but the problem is he doesn't have the playmaking or shot to make use of it.

I have a reputation on the Flyers board for being his biggest hater (as a joke, I don't actually hate him) because when he first came to the Flyers from the AHL he played with Giroux and Voracek, scored a ton, and everyone got all excited about him as if we found a hidden gem.... so I ended up being the buzzkill to point out it was a fluke and that he wasn't ever going to be able to replicate that pace. So believe me when I say you got a pretty good deal here. A mere 6th round pick is worth it to see if he can be any kind of useful for you guys. We're just thrilled with the trade because we have so many young players on the verge of making the team and we need spots open for them. Plus, he definitely wasn't getting re-signed, so it's nice to get anything for him, and it's our first sign of life out of Fletcher in a while.

As a comparable from someone who has seen a ton of both, he's definitely better than Cousins.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
You know Cousins takes a **** ton of heat around here, but i dont think i have ever seen a Coyote with better board battles than him. His edge work and puck posession is fantastic in tight quarters and is usually good for a drawn penalty every other game or so.

I like him. But I’d rather have Martinook lol

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
You know Cousins takes a **** ton of heat around here, but i dont think i have ever seen a Coyote with better board battles than him. His edge work and puck posession is fantastic in tight quarters and is usually good for a drawn penalty every other game or so.
I like Cousins centering the 4th line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad