Player Discussion Jordan Harris part 2

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Who exactly is a quality defenceman? Bergevin was the GM for 10 years. We only have Romanov to show for it. Sergachev too, but he was dumb enough to trade him away.

After that you’re left with a bunch of dart throws. Guhle has a good chance to make it. But Struble, Norlinder are boom or bust and despite early excitement, neither has really taken that next step. Harris is a meh. Brook, Juulsen, Fairbrother, Thrower, Fleury, Walford, Lernout. All 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks. Either became nothing or are nothing to be excited about.
Harris is better than meh and likely the best of the bunch. Mailloux can play, like this pick more and more.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Harris is better than meh and likely the best of the bunch. Mailloux can play, like this pick more and more.

Harris is decent in the NCAA. There’s nothing to suggest that’s he’s going to be more than a Kulak-type. He’s not that great offensively, solid defensively and doesn’t have great size. Nothing stands out about him.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Harris is decent in the NCAA. There’s nothing to suggest that’s he’s going to be more than a Kulak-type. He’s not that great offensively, solid defensively and doesn’t have great size. Nothing stands out about him.
Yes I think he’s a little bit overrated, at least the expectation are. I think he will be better then Kulak but it’s for nothing that he wasn’t with team USA at the OG.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017

He is just so quick and so fast at reading plays. I find he controls the tempo in the NCAA. It's true that it's a big jump though...

Reactions: Runner77

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Let’s agree to disagree oh him. He’s got the skills that can’t be taught imo. Poise, iq and his skating is excellent. Can play both sides etc.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Yes I think he’s a little bit overrated, at least the expectation are. I think he will be better then Kulak but it’s for nothing that he wasn’t with team USA at the OG.
Great point, a freshman like Sean Farrell made the team but both Norlinder and Harris were not picked for their countries?

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
Great point, a freshman like Sean Farrell made the team but both Norlinder and Harris were not picked for their countries?

If he can be a reliable bottom pairing D at the NHL level then my expectations have been met. He still needs some development in the AHL imo

Reactions: habsfan92

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
If he can be a reliable bottom pairing D at the NHL level then my expectations have been met. He still needs some development in the AHL imo
So is he a must sign?
I watched him play some NCAA games but his team has to be the most boring team amongst college teams so it's hard to truly get a read on Harris.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

Harris was picked as a backup. Norlinder was getting over the injury and I believe Sweden took older players but I'd have to loo at their roster. He got injured last year playing for Team Sweden during Euro Cup which is the warm up tournaments to the WC's so clearly he's on their radar when healthy.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
So is he a must sign?
I watched him play some NCAA games but his team has to be the most boring team amongst college teams so it's hard to truly get a read on Harris.

his team has been tough to watch as they are boring most nights.

h's a must sign cause you have a legit NHLer, at the very worst I think he'll be a better Mete, he's a high IQ player with tons of poise. I don't like to bet against high IQ players. He's got elite mobility, skating. It's just a question of how much offensive upside does he have. He's one of the best D in the NCAA but he's not strong or physical. Very good positionally and with his stick. Almost always seems to make the right play.

Reactions: Tyson

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
So is he a must sign?

Honestly, from what I've seen, he's a good sign but not a must sign. Ultimately I think he's just the cheaper option between him and eventually signing another veteran Ufa D. Norlinder and Struble are both highly unpredictable whereas Harris while not having a high ceiling has a higher probability of being a useful D in the pros. If his development goes well, he should be a reliable bottom pairing D

Reactions: Tyson

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Honestly, from what I've seen, he's a good sign but not a must sign. Ultimately I think he's just the cheaper option between him and eventually signing another veteran Ufa D. Norlinder and Struble are both highly unpredictable whereas Harris while not having a high ceiling has a higher probability of being a useful D in the pros. If his development goes well, he should be a reliable bottom pairing D

Depressing.

JC Superstar

Aug 7, 2013

Well, he has Markov's size and with a good strenght coach he could have Markov's progression. Not to say he will be as good, but his ceiling might surprise.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Look where Jeff Petry was at 21. I am tired of reading crazy stuff about good prospects. Many are only interested by flashy Ds with big offensive numbers early.

Walksss

Mar 26, 2013
Look where Jeff Petry was at 21. I am tired of reading crazy stuff about good prospects. Many are only interested by flashy Ds with big offensive numbers early.

Yeah but Petry's development and career arc are the exception more than the rule. If you can say that about Harris you can say that about nearly every prospect that has a shot at making the NHL. Unfortunately Harris type prospects are a dime a dozen in the grind of the NHL, with more coming every single year.

Obviously he's worth signing just for what he brings right now but expecting him to develop into a top 4 in the NHL just because Petry or anyone else did it is definitely reaching imo.

John B

Nov 19, 2016
Harris seems to be one of those prospects that is going to have a quiet, but effective NHL career. The "hype", surrounding him right now is because he is the best potential college free agent if he opts not to sign with the Habs. Almost every team in the league (maybe all of them) will be trying to sign him. At worst he'll be a bottom pair/7th D guy, but it's his upside as a potential 2nd pair guy that makes him a valuable asset.

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Petry is not the exception but the rule. Few Ds are fully ready at 21. Petry is the exception if you talk about how long it took him to be really good. But most good Ds are taking off at 24 or 25 years old. I talk about their full game, not only points.

Yeah but Petry's development and career arc are the exception more than the rule. If you can say that about Harris you can say that about nearly every prospect that has a shot at making the NHL. Unfortunately Harris type prospects are a dime a dozen in the grind of the NHL, with more coming every single year.

Obviously he's worth signing just for what he brings right now but expecting him to develop into a top 4 in the NHL just because Petry or anyone else did it is definitely reaching imo.

Reactions: tazsub3

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Harris seems to be one of those prospects that is going to have a quiet, but effective NHL career. The "hype", surrounding him right now is because he is the best potential college free agent if he opts not to sign with the Habs. Almost every team in the league (maybe all of them) will be trying to sign him. At worst he'll be a bottom pair/7th D guy, but it's his upside as a potential 2nd pair guy that makes him a valuable asset.

100% right as one just has to go back to the Mike Reilly hype when he opted to use the loophole after his Junior year. Granted they are total opposites of players since Reilly at 20 and 21 had 75 pts in 80 games but was terrible in his own end. If I recall just about every NHL team was trying to sign him. I would think every team outside ones that are deep in D prospects or young D would be in on him if he chose to go UFA in August.

Walksss

Mar 26, 2013
Petry is not the exception but the rule. Few Ds are fully ready at 21. Petry is the exception if you talk about how long it took him to be really good. But most good Ds are taking off at 24 or 25 years old. I talk about their full game, not only points.

You think the progression in Jeff Petry's game is a normal development curve? When we acquired that guy he was a bottom pairing defenceman or a good 7th in his mid 20's. He obviously developed into one of the better defenceman in the league and a top pairing guy. That is the definition of exception not the rule.

If you expect some similar explosive development out of Harris' game than you can say the exact same thing about Struble, Xhekaj, Fairbrother, etc or almost any other young defenceman for any other organization, anything is possible just exceedingly unlikely.

To say any prospect will be better at 25 than they are at 21 is completely obvious, you aren't telling anyone anything. To expect a Petry like development arc is something else entirely, you can't go through the league and find 5 guys that have that kind of late 20's development at D, it is very rare. I will just bet on the side of probability and say Harris isn't gonna ever do that. If he hits that less than 1% outcome probability I will be over the moon, but he won't. He is hopefully a stout bottom pairing D in his prime, we shall see.

Reactions: le_sean

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
You think the progression in Jeff Petry's game is a normal development curve? When we acquired that guy he was a bottom pairing defenceman or a good 7th in his mid 20's. He obviously developed into one of the better defenceman in the league and a top pairing guy. That is the definition of exception not the rule.

If you expect some similar explosive development out of Harris' game than you can say the exact same thing about Struble, Xhekaj, Fairbrother, etc or almost any other young defenceman for any other organization, anything is possible just exceedingly unlikely.

To say any prospect will be better at 25 than they are at 21 is completely obvious, you aren't telling anyone anything. To expect a Petry like development arc is something else entirely, you can't go through the league and find 5 guys that have that kind of late 20's development at D, it is very rare. I will just bet on the side of probability and say Harris isn't gonna ever do that. If he hits that less than 1% outcome probability I will be over the moon, but he won't. He is hopefully a stout bottom pairing D in his prime, we shall see.
That’s not true though, Petry was one of the most used Dmen by EDM and he average 21 min and + in his career with EDM. I agree with the rest of your point though that comparing Petry and Harris production is a little bit ridiculous

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Agreed. Remember the Brook hype before he turned pro? Norlinder? Harris might be the exception but it's low probability. All we can do is get him on a ELC and see what he can do against men. There is some value to him finishing the season with us and then training in the off season after he gets a taste of playing against men with less time and space. Obsession to improve is hard to predict but he's in good hands with MSL

Reactions: le_sean

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
so this is the final weekend of the regular season for Harris. With the sweep of UConn they moved into 14th for the pairwise, they play a make up game tomorrow night vs Vermont who have won only 6 games all year. They finish with Merrimack who have been a big surprise with a solid season this year. If they beat Vermont and win at least 1 game this weekend they should keep their place or close to it depending on what other teams do.

Currently NU is tied for 2nd in the HE, the top 5 teams get a bye for the 1st round next weekend.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
his team has been tough to watch as they are boring most nights.

h's a must sign cause you have a legit NHLer, at the very worst I think he'll be a better Mete, he's a high IQ player with tons of poise. I don't like to bet against high IQ players. He's got elite mobility, skating. It's just a question of how much offensive upside does he have. He's one of the best D in the NCAA but he's not strong or physical. Very good positionally and with his stick. Almost always seems to make the right play.
You don’t give legit pRospects like Harris away for nothing. He’s a sure fire NHLer and not like McCarron and Tinordi were deemed safe. This kid has IQ all over the ice. He’s a guaranteed bottom 6 at worse, I think he’s a guaranteed top 4. Under the MB era maybe that would be a stretch for an org that seemed to value big, stay at home dmen that scramble in their own zone for 60% of their shift, but under Hughes, I really expect a high IQ, highly poised, extremely good skater to succeed.
Is he a must sign as in the Habs won’t win a cup without him, no, but he’s a must sign in the sense that you shouldn’t squander high quality assets for nothing.

He’s been my favourite Habs d prospect for 2 years. My mind hasn’t changed, the kid can play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad