Player Discussion Jordan Eberle

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Maybe. JP is still a question mark IMO. I hope he turns out but there are still a lot of gaps in his game. I wouldn't put all of my eggs in the JP basket...I think the team needs more depth.

In two years? If JP doesn't pan out, we'll have the next 2 years or so to find a longterm guy.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Would you be okay with trading Ebs and signing Williams for an year or two? Less cap hit, same term, more effective imo.

Sure, but what if Williams says no? Then you're up **** creek with a Radim Vrbata paddle, who makes Eberle look like he's made of sandpaper and diamonds.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
In two years? If JP doesn't pan out, we'll have the next 2 years or so to find a longterm guy.

Name 1 potential top 6 player in the Oilers system other than Puljujarvi.

That's the problem...there arent any. IMO that has to be fixed now...not in 2 years.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Name 1 potential top 6 player in the Oilers system other than Puljujarvi.

That's the problem...there arent any. IMO that has to be fixed now...not in 2 years.

Benson? Slepyshev? Pitlick? Caggiula? (Granted, the last 3 are iffy, but I think 1 of them will be a top 6 player). If we can turn Maroon into a top liner, we can find top 6 wingers.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Sure, but what if Williams says no? Then you're up **** creek with a Radim Vrbata paddle, who makes Eberle look like he's made of sandpaper and diamonds.

Jagr, Gionta, Sharp, Eaves, Hemsky, Iginla, Stafford. Vanek too although he's a LW.

All of these guys are downgrades but capable of providing some secondary offense before we tap into the rental market. All 30+ and short-term options. 'Plug-and-play veterans'.

Williams is 100% my guy, but there's a lot of options out there to fill the RW depth.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Benson? Slepyshev? Pitlick? Caggiula? (Granted, the last 3 are iffy, but I think 1 of them will be a top 6 player). If we can turn Maroon into a top liner, we can find top 6 wingers.

Pitlick is an NHL player already but he is just too unreliable due to his inability to stay in the lineup. I also dont think there is enough evidence to suggest that he is a top 6 player.
Slepyshev and Cagguila are already on the team....both top 9 players.
Benson is a long shot as a top 6 NHL player at this point in time.

I am looking specifically at the farm team.
JP is the only legit potential top 6 prospect in the system this team has...its just not enough.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Jagr, Gionta, Sharp, Eaves, Hemsky, Iginla, Stafford. Vanek too although he's a LW.

All of these guys are downgrades but capable of providing some secondary offense before we tap into the rental market. All 30+ and short-term options. 'Plug-and-play veterans'.

Williams is 100% my guy, but there's a lot of options out there to fill the RW depth.

Right, but if you trade Eberle, we don't need depth. In your scenario, Strome IS the depth. We need a top 6 winger, and of everyone you listed I see two that I'd be comfortable banking on to fill a top 6 role - Jagr and Williams. Sharp is coming off a serious injury. Eaves might just be lightning in a bottle. Hemsky and Iginla are 3rd liners riding out nostalgia and I have no time for Stafford.

Which is why if I'm moving Eberle it's for a guy that fits at 3C, or brings more sandpaper at 2RW. P

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
He's small, hopefully there are enough cro-magnon GMs out there that he slips to 22.

Watched him a lot this year. I think he's got Gaudreau type talent.

Havent seen him myself but I am hearing that he is an almost certain to be a top 15 pick. I am hearing that Tampa really likes this player...they pick at 14(?).
I guess he could fall to 22 though.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Right, but if you trade Eberle, we don't need depth. In your scenario, Strome IS the depth. We need a top 6 winger, and of everyone you listed I see two that I'd be comfortable banking on to fill a top 6 role - Jagr and Williams. Sharp is coming off a serious injury. Eaves might just be lightning in a bottle. Hemsky and Iginla are 3rd liners riding out nostalgia and I have no time for Stafford.

Which is why if I'm moving Eberle it's for a guy that fits at 3C, or brings more sandpaper at 2RW. P

Nope. Strome would have to earn the right to play in the top 6. I'd have him as my 3C.

Maroon - McDavid - Draisaitl
Lucic - RNH - XXXX
Caggiula - Strome - Kassian

This is how I would envision our setup post-Eberle trade. Add Williams and you have three lines capable of producing offense. We're capable of moving Strome up on wing, Draisaitl to center, Nuge to wing...

Our third line faces soft match-ups and we recoup some of the lost offense through a more potent third line than last season.

If we need a defensive monster for the playoffs, trade for him at the deadline.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Eberle > Nuge

I've said it before, but it's really a shame that we're going to trade a better, more productive player for a lesser return than we could get by trading away the equally expensive crappier player.

Pisses me off Nuge once again is getting a free ride this summer. Should trade him now while GMs are still fooled into thinking he's competent in the NHL.

Sigh... well at least in a year or two we can trade him for an Islander bust.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Eberle > Nuge

I've said it before, but it's really a shame that we're going to trade a better, more productive player for a lesser return than we could get by trading away the equally expensive crappier player.

Pisses me off Nuge once again is getting a free ride this summer. Should trade him now while GMs are still fooled into thinking he's competent in the NHL.

Sigh... well at least in a year or two we can trade him for an Islander bust.

Nuge for Barzal will be the common threads.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
eberle <<< nuge

i've said it before, but it's really a shame that we're going to trade a worse, more useless player for a lesser return than we could get by trading away the equally expensive better player.

Sigh... Well at least in a year or two we can really use him.

ftfy

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Nope. Strome would have to earn the right to play in the top 6. I'd have him as my 3C.

Maroon - McDavid - Draisaitl
Lucic - RNH - XXXX
Caggiula - Strome - Kassian

This is how I would envision our setup post-Eberle trade. Add Williams and you have three lines capable of producing offense. We're capable of moving Strome up on wing, Draisaitl to center, Nuge to wing...

Our third line faces soft match-ups and we recoup some of the lost offense through a more potent third line than last season.

If we need a defensive monster for the playoffs, trade for him at the deadline.

Our GM specifically mentioned faceoffs as an area to improve. McDavid/RNH/Strome down the middle might be the worst faceoff team in NHL history.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Our GM specifically mentioned faceoffs as an area to improve. McDavid/RNH/Strome down the middle might be the worst faceoff team in NHL history.

It'd be no worse than our team was at it last year.

The face-offs thing is way overblown--especially in the regular season when those percentages generally mean squat unless guys are batting below 40%. It's a skill that players improve with strength and experience.

If it's an issue heading into the post-season, third and fourth line face-off aces are a common commodity scooped up at the deadline on the cheap. Over an 82 game season those guys generally don't really do that much for you.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

The face-offs thing is way overblown--especially in the regular season when those percentages generally mean squat unless guys are batting below 40%. It's a skill that players improve with strength and experience.

If it's an issue heading into the post-season, third and fourth line face-off aces are a common commodity scooped up at the deadline on the cheap. Over an 82 game season those guys generally don't really do that much for you.

Strome is worse than RNH is at faceoffs. Let that sink in.

The Oilers don't need a faceoff ace, they need a 3C that can take a regular shift, contribute 30 points, is reliable defensively and is north of 50% on draws.

Strome is more effective on the wing than at C, he's a lost little puppy at centre.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

The face-off thing is debatable, but is not overblown for us, especially when our GM says it's an area they are looking to improve

Last year he specifically said goals against. This year it's FO's

You can bet he will make a move with this as a deciding factor

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Strome is worse than RNH is at faceoffs. Let that sink in.

The Oilers don't need a faceoff ace, they need a 3C that can take a regular shift, contribute 30 points, is reliable defensively and is north of 50% on draws.

Strome is more effective on the wing than at C, he's a lost little puppy at centre.

It all depends on what you use your third line for. Our third line center for much of last season was Drake Caggiula, who's 'worse' than both of them and technically a left winger. Having him the two of them platoon the third line would be fine with me for the beginning of the season. That line faces soft-ass match-ups the majority of the time.

If the player we're getting back is in fact Ryan Strome, I'd far, far prefer having a Justin Williams-type player fill that hole on the second line than have Strome have to fill it for the sake of winning a few draws on our third line. Maybe that's just me.

As for your last point, I've heard the opposite.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
He is both. C/RW.

Draisaitl is also not a RW, but he plays there.

It's called versatility.

Not when you're bad in both spots.

Related, Dreger said on Insider Trading today: Eberle was 2nd on the Oilers to Connor McDavid in terms of puck touches; they value him and aren't going to give him away .

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB

you didn't fix that.

it seems to me that...

thetruth.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad